1. Kanha tiger reserve becomes first in India get official mascot:
- Kanha tiger reserve in Madhya Pradesh has become the first tiger reserve in India to officially introduce a mascot of its own.
- The Mascot has been named 'Bhoorsingh the Barasingha' to present the hard ground swamp deer as the spirit of the reserve and spread awareness to save it from possible extinction.
- Barasingha or Swamp Deer is the State animal of Madhya Pradesh.
2. Mega-conference of world parliamentarians begins in Dhaka:
- Today, Prime Minister of Bangladesh Sheikh Hasina has inaugurated the 4-day mega Conference of world parliamentarians in Dhaka.
- She has also released a commemorative stamp and launch the IPU web television.
- Around 687 members of 131 national parliaments around the world are participating in the conference.
- The conference promising to focus on ways and means to end political & economic inequality and uphold democracy and human rights.
- The Conference will also adopt a resolution to guarantee the financial inclusion of women as drivers of development.
3. N. Chandrababu Naidu selected for US-India Business Council Award:
- The Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh ‘N.Chandrababu Naidu’ has been selected for the US-India Business Council Award (US IBC).
- The USIBC has selected Mr. Naidu for the award of ‘Transformative Chief Minister’.
- The Electronics and IT Secretary Aruna Sundararajan would also receive Transformative Leadership Award at the Summit.
4. Government launched two mobile apps- echallan and mParivahan:
- The government has launched two mobile apps, echallan and mParivahan, that provide access to various services and information, and enable citizens to report any traffic violation or road accident.
- 'eChallan' is an integrated enforcement solution to manage traffic violations.
- 'mParivahan' is an empowering app for the citizen which provides access to various services, information and utilities related to the transport sector.
5. India becomes associate member of IEA:
- India, world’s 3rd largest energy consumer has joined International Energy Association (IAE) as associate member. India will also now have a greater say in global energy issues.
- With India as a associate member, IEA now formally covers 70% of the world’s energy consumption, thus increasing its relevance.
6. Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak Visits India:
- Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak is on a 6-day visit to India.
- This year marks the 60th anniversary of formal diplomatic relations. Malaysia’s father of independence, Tunku Abdul Rahman, visited India in 1962.
- India and Malaysia signed their strategic partnership in 2010. India has trained Malaysian pilots for the Russian SU-30 aircraft.
7. Japan commits 371 bn yen assistance for infra projects in India:
- Japan has committed an 'Official Development Assistance' (ODA) of 371.345 billion yen (about Rs 21,590 crore) under 2016-2017 for various infrastructure projects, including the dedicated freight corridor, in India.
- The notes in this regard were exchanged in New Delhi between S Selvakumar, Joint Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs and Kenji Hiramatsu, Ambassador of Japan to India.
8. Radhamohan Singh to inaugurate International center for Foot and Mouth Disease:
- Today, the Union Agriculture Minister 'Radha Mohan Singh' has inaugurated an International research centre for Foot and Mouth disease of cattle and buffalos at Argul,(Khurda district) Odisha.
- The research center has been constructed in joint collaboration of UN’s Food and Agriculture Organisation & Indian Council of Agricultural Research to conduct research on the viral disease of cattle and buffaloes.
- The research center has the facility for safe handling and storage of live Foot and Mouth disease virus that essentially is required for control of the disease.
- This center will also serve as a regional resource laboratory for countries of the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC).
9. Vanaja N. Sarna new Chairperson of CBEC:
- Vanaja N. Sarna (Internal Revenue Service:1980) has been appointed as the Chairman of Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC).
- She has replaced Najib Shah.
- Sarna has served Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC) in several capacities over the last 36 years.
10. 'Barmer-Munawab' & 'Pipad Road-Bilara' rail routes declared as Green Corridors:
- The North-Western Railway has declared the ‘Barmer-Munawab (119 km)’ and ‘Pipad Road-Bilara (41 km)’ in Rajasthan, rail routes as Green Corridors.
- The trains in the section have been equipped with bio-toilets to ensure zero discharge of human waste on the rail tracks under the ‘Swachh Rail-Swachh Bharat’ initiative.
- Now, the total number of green corridors has increased to three.
- The ‘Manamadurai– Rameswaram stretch’ (114- km) of Southern Railway was the first ‘Green corridor’ of India.
11. IIT-Madras signs MoU with Indian Army:
- The Indian Army has entered into a Memorandum of Understanding with the Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IIT-M).
- The objective of the agreement is to identify and enhance the critical technological areas that can be enhanced in the armed forces.
12. RBI to set up separate Enforcement department:
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will set up a separate enforcement department to monitor banks in case they violate regulations.
- The Enforcement Department will start operations from 1st April, 2017.
- The department will develop a broad policy for enforcement and initiate action against the regulated entities for violation consistent with such policy.
13. Kotak Mahindra Bank launches 8-11 app to double customer base:
- Kotak Mahindra Bank has launched the '811 banking app' which is part of the lender's vision to double customer base in 18 months.
- Customers will be able to open an account on the 811 banking app with zero balance. Only Aadhaar and PAN card would be required to open 811 account which would provide access to over 100 features on mobile.
- The account offers up to 6 percent interest rate on savings deposits.
14. Withdrawal of service charge on e-tickets of train extended till 30th June:
- According to Railway ministry, the withdrawal of service charge on online booking of train tickets has been extended upto 30th June 2017 to promote the use of digital modes of payment.
- Earlier, the union government had decided to give incentive to the passengers for booking tickets online by withdrawing service charge on them from 23rd November, 2016 to 31st March, 2017.
- Service charges on booking train tickets online through IRCTC ticketing site ranges from Rs. 20 to Rs. 40 per ticket.
15. India signs First Loan Agreement with New Development Bank:
- India has signed a loan agreement with the New Development Bank (NDB) for USD 350 million funding for a project involving development and up gradation of major district roads (approx 1,500 km) in Madhya Pradesh.
- The objective of the project is to up gradation of major district roads in the state to improve connectivity with the national and state highway networks.
- This is the first loan agreement for the New Development Bank assisted project in India.
16. Karnataka Bank & SBI Card launch co-branded credit card:
- The Karnataka Bank Limited and SBI Card have launched co-branded credit cards ‘Karnataka Bank Platinum SBI Card’ and ‘Karnataka Bank SimplySAVE SBI Card’ for the customers of Karnataka Bank.
- ‘Karnataka Bank Platinum SBI Card’ has been designed keeping in mind the premium customers, offers features in line with their lifestyle and spending patterns.
- ‘Karnataka Bank SimplySAVE SBI Card’ is aimed at value-conscious consumers and offers rewards and features that enable customers to maximise their savings on their regular spends.
17. Axis Bank ties up with Wells Fargo for US remittances:
- Axis Bank has tied up with Wells Fargo (the third largest American bank by assets) to offer real-time remittances from the Indian diaspora to their relatives back home.
- Under the arrangement between the two banks, any member of the Indian diaspora with an account with the Wells Fargo will be able to transfer money to their relatives back home and there will be no transaction fee applicable to the money transfers from the USA. But the relative or the beneficiary in India will need to have an account with Axis Bank.