1. World Tuberculosis Day- 24 March
- World Tuberculosis Day celebrated on 24 March each year.
- The theme for World Tuberculosis Day 2017 is 'Unite to End TB: Leave no one behind'. 2017 is the second year of a two-year "Unite to End TB" campaign for World TB Day.
2. Five Indian cities included in World Heritage List:
- According to Union Minister of State for Culture and Tourism (Independent Charge) Dr. Mahesh Sharma, five Indian cities were included in the Tentative List of UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
- The five Indian cities included in the list are Ahmedabad, Delhi, Jaipur, Bhubaneswar and Mumbai.
3. Suresh Prabhu announced scaling up of ‘VIKALP Scheme’ for Railway Passengers:
- The Union Railways Minister Suresh Prabhu has announced the scaling up of ‘VIKALP Scheme’ for waitlisted passengers at a progrmme held in New Delhi.
- The scheme will become effective on 1st April 2017.
- Prabhu has also released the Water Management Policy of Indian Railways to improve water use efficiency by setting up water recycling plants, rainwater harvesting plants, sewage treatment plants and effluent treatment plants on railway land.
- He also presented GreenCo Certificates to three units of Indian Railways.
- ‘VIKALP Scheme’ is a transparent scheme as confirmed reservation tickets will be provided in alternate trains without giving extra fare.
4. NCST approves proposal for 5 additional seat for tribal in Sikkim Assembly:
- The National Commission for Schedule Tribes (NCST) has approved the proposal for five additional seats for tribal in the Sikkim Assembly.
- The proposal of increasing reserve seats for Schedule Tribes from 12 to 17 in 32 members in Sikkim Assembly and now it would be increased to 40.
- The five seats would be reserved for Limbu and Tamang.
5. Raghu Rai honored with Lifetime Achievement at National Photography Awards:
- Renowned photojournalist Raghu Rai has conferred with the Lifetime Achievement Award at the 6th National Photography Awards organized by the photo division of the I&B ministry in New Delhi.
- He began his career in photography in 1965 and served as the Director of Photography for India Today.
- Rai has also served on the jury of World Press Photo and UNESCO’s International Photo Contest.
- He is known for his books, Raghu Rai's India: Reflections in Colour and Reflections in Black and White.
6. Yves Meyer wins the 2017 Abel Prize:
- The Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters has awarded the Abel Prize for 2017 to mathematician Yves Meyer.
- He was awarded for his pivotal role in the development of the mathematical theory of wavelets. The theory of wavelets that he started and made fundamental contributions to finds wide-ranging applications from image processing to fluid dynamics.
7. 8th Laadli Media Awards 2016:
- The 8th Laadli Media Awards for Gender Sensitivity 2016 (Northern and Eastern Region) were announced at the Chinmaya Mission in New Delhi.
- Anima Pookkunnyil, Assistant Editor with BusinessLine, and Shreya Ila Anasuya, a freelance journalist, were awarded this year for their critical gender-sensitive reportage.
- Ila Anasuya was awarded for her report on Suzette Jordan. Anima Pookkunnyi was awarded for her story about Kamlesh Kairi’s petition to the Supreme Court against the unjust laws.
8. India Notifies Amended Tax Treaty with Singapore:
- The government notified the amended India-Singapore tax treaty under which capital gains tax will be levied at source of investments with effect from April 1,2017.
- India had amended the tax treaty with Singapore on December 30, 2016, under which for two years capital gains tax will be imposed at 50 percent of the prevailing domestic rate. Full rate will apply from April 1, 2019.
- The revision of tax treaty will help curb revenue loss, prevent double non-taxation and streamline the flow of investments adding that the amended tax treaty has been notified.
9. Assam govt, SBI sign MoU over housing, educational loan at subsidized interest rates:
- The state government of Assam has signed two MoUs with Mumbai-based State Bank of India(SBI) to provide housing loan and education loan for its employees.
- To provide housing loan at hugely subsidized interest rates of 5% for its women employees and 5.5 % for men, and education loan for higher education for their children at 4% interest rate. Both types of loans will be free of any collateral security and processing fee.
10. Bharti Airtel acquires 4G business of Tikona Networks:
- Indian global telecommunications services company Bharti Airtel has acquired 4G business of Tikona Networks including the Broadband Wireless Access (BWA) business for Rs 1,600 crore.
- Tikona has 20 MHz spectrum in the 2300 MHz band in Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh (East), Uttar Pradesh (West), Rajasthan and Himachal Pradesh circles.
- The 2300 Mhz band has the second largest ecosystem of 4G devices.
- After the deal, Airtel will have 30 MHz in the 2300 MHz band in 13 circles.
12. South Indian Bank introduces Aadhar-based payment app:
- To promote cashless digital transactions, South Indian Bank (SIB) has introduced Aadhar-based payment in its Unified Payment Interface (UPI) mobile application- 'SIB M-Pay'.
- Even non-customers of South Indian Bank can link any of their bank accounts in this mobile application.
- With the latest addition in SIB M-Pay, the fund transfers can be done by just entering the Aadhar number of the beneficiary. SIB M-Pay app is currently available in Android Playstore.
13. World Bank signs US$ 100 million credit agreement with Uttarakhand, Centre:
- The World Bank has signed a 100 million US dollar credit agreement with the Centre and Uttarakhand in New Delhi to improve the quality of health care services in all 13 districts of the state.
- The project aims to reduce the financial risk for its citizens and make affordable, quality health care available to all.
14. Radha Mohan Singh launched Book titled '50 Years – The Great Indian Milk Revolution':
- The Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Shri Radha Mohan Singh has launched a Coffee Table Book titled “50 Years – The Great Indian Milk Revolution” commemorating National Dairy Development Board’s (NDDB) Golden Jubilee year.
15. Writer Ashokamitran passes away:
- Prominent Tamil writer and Sahitya Akademi winner Ashokamitran died at the age of 86.
- He was given the Sahitya Akademi Award in 1996 for his work Appavin Snegidhar, a collection of short stories.