1. Captain Amarinder Singh sworn in as the Chief Minister of Punjab:
- Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee (PPCC) chief Capt Amarinder Singh was sworn in as the state’s 26th chief minister at the Raj Bhawan in Chandigarh.
- Congress secured 77 out of the 117 assembly seats thus leading to a comfortable victory.
- Apart from Amarinder Singh, cabinet ministers Navjot Singh Sidhu, Manpreet Badal, Brahm Mohindra, Charanjit Channi, Rana Gurjit and Tripat Bajwa also took oath. Aruna Choudhary and Razia Sultana were sworn in as ministers of state with independent charge.
- The ceremony took place at Raj Bhawan, Chandigarh, administered by Governor V. P. Singh Badnore.
2. Cabinet approves revised MoU with Bangladesh to set up Border Haats:
- The Union Cabinet has approved Revised Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) and Mode of Operation (MoO) between India and Bangladesh for establishing Border Haats on India-Bangladesh Border.
- The revised MoU and MoO will provide a legal framework for establishment and operationalization of additional Border Haats along India-Bangladesh border.
- The Border Haats aim at promoting traditional system of marketing the local produce through local markets across the India-Bangladesh border.
3. Justice Ramalingam Sudhakar takes charge as the Acting Chief Justice of Jammu and Kashmir High Court:
- Sudhakar took charge as the acting chief justice of Jammu and Kashmir after the previous chief justice, NN Paul Vasanthakumar attained superannuation.
- President Pranab Mukherjee appointed Sudhakar as the acting chief justice as per the provisions conferred by Section 100 of the Constitution of Jammu and Kashmir.
- J&K Government is likely to appoint Delhi High Court judge Justice Badar Durrez Ahmed as the next chief justice of Jammu and Kashmir High Court.
4. Delhi Airport declared ‘Best Airport in India and Central Asia’:
- Delhi's Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA) has been declared as the "Best Airport in India and Central Asia" in Skytrax World Airport Awards.
- The announcement was made at the World Airport Awards held at Passenger Terminal Expo in Amsterdam, Netherlands on Wednesday night.
5. 15 IIITs declared as Institutes of National Importance:
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved Indian Institutes of Information Technology (Public- Private Partnership) Bill, 2017.
- Decision in this regard was taken by Union Cabinet meeting chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi.
- The Bill will declare the existing IIITs in PPPS as ‘Institutions of National Importance with powers to award degrees.
6. Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyay Rashtriya Krishi Vigyan Protsahan Puraskar (2016) awarded in New Delhi:
- The awards were presented during the inaugural function of Krishi Unnati Mela – 2017.
- The award was presented by Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmer’s Welfare, Radha Mohan Singh, to Ramakrishna Ashram.
- The total sum of this award is Rs. 50 lakhs in which there is a provision of one award of Rs. 25.00 lakh at national level and 11 awards of Rs. 2.25 lakh at regional level every year will be awarded.
7. Pakistan Navy successfully tests land-based, anti-ship missile:
- Pakistan Navy today conducted a successful test of a land-based, anti-ship missile. The trial was conducted from the coastal region.
- The missile is equipped with advanced technology and avionics, which enable engagement of targets at sea with a high degree of accuracy.
8. Cabinet clears special assistance for EAPs in Andhra Pradesh:
- The Cabinet has approved financial assistance for bifurcated Andhra Pradesh by way of special dispensation in funding of Externally Aided Projects (EAPs) and also the irrigation component of Polavaram project.
- The special assistance will be provided to the state towards repayment of loan and interest for EAPs signed and disbursed from 2015-16 to 2019-20.
- The Centre will also fund 100% of the irrigation component of the Polavaram project starting from 1st of April, 2014.
9. Monetization of Coal Bed Methane Gas Marketing and Pricing Freedom for CBM Gas Policy approved by Cabinet:
- The approval was given by Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA), headed by Prime Minister, Narendra Modi.
- Under the policy, Coal Bed Methane (CBM) Contractors will be capable of marketing and pricing freedom to sell the CBM at Arm's Length Price in the domestic market.
- The policy is expected to incentivize the CBM operation in the country in order to boost gas production as well as generate economic activities.
10. Annual Krishi Unnati Mela Begins in New Delhi:
- The three-day annual Krishi Unnati Mela was inaugurated by Union Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh at the Indian Agriculture Research Institute in Pusa, New Delhi.
- To provide information on new farm schemes and technologies and another welfare scheme that will help to double the farmer’s incomes by 2022.
- As a part of the event, the Minister also gave away Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyay Rashtriya Krishi Vigyan Protsahan Puraskar 2016 to recognize the contribution of Krishi Vigyan.
11. International Vision Zero Conference Begins In New Delhi:
- The International Conference on the Vision Zero and its relevance to Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) began at Vigyan Bhavan, New Delhi.
- The aim is to focus on the Occupational Safety and Health issues and challenges in the Manufacturing, Construction and Mining sector and provide a forum for promoting safety and health at work by exchanging knowledge, practices, and experience.
- The conference was inaugurated by the Minister of State (Independent) for Labour and Employment, Shri Bandaru Dattatreya.
12. State Bank of India signs MoU with CREDAI:
- State Bank of India and real estate developers’ body Confederation of Real Estate Developers' Associations of India (CREDAI) have signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to jointly conduct various initiatives towards development of the realty sector.
- The MoU will be in force for a period of 3 years.
- CREDAI is the largest real estate association in the country with over 11,500 members.
13. World Bank approves USD 450 mn assistance to Pakistan:
- The World Bank on Thursday approved a financial assistance worth USD 450 million to Pakistan to support its efforts to help the poor and most vulnerable people in the country.
- The bank said the programme aims to raise financial access throughout Pakistan to 50% of adults by 2020.
14. World Bank loan for MP solar plant:
- The World Bank has agreed to provide a loan to develop internal transmission arrangements of the upcoming Rewa Ultra Mega Solar project in Madhya Pradesh.
- It will provide 25% of the loan amount under its Clean Technology Fund, where the money will be provided at an interest rate of only 0.25%.
- This would be the first solar power project in the country to receive a loan under Clean Technology Fund (CTF).
15. UCO Bank ties up with FGII:
- Private insurer Future Generali India Insurance Company (FGII) has entered into a corporate agency tie-up for its products with public lender UCO Bank.
- The PSU lender will provide a window at its bank branches for marketing FGII’s offerings. Apart from UCO, the company has tie-ups with over 100 banks across the country.
16. HDFC Bank to offer online loans against securities:
- HDFC Bank launched an instant digital Loan Against Securities (LAS) facility in collaboration with the National Securities Depository Ltd.(NSDL).
- The bank stated that customers can avail themselves of overdraft facility against shares in three steps: 1) Select the shares to be pledged on net banking. ii) Accept agreement through one-time password (OTP), iii) Pledge the shares with NSDL online through OTP.
- Demat customers can calculate their eligibility for overdraft limit against shares, and open a current account instantly.
17. FTII (Film and Television Institute of India) signs MoU with Canon:
- The MoU has been signed to promote short courses in Film & Television.
- Under this, Canon will support skill-oriented courses as Technology Partner.
18. McNally Bharat bags Rs. 415-cr solar power project in AP:
- McNally Bharat Engineering Company Ltd has bagged a Rs. 415.29-crore order from Andhra Pradesh Power Generation Corporation Ltd.
- The project entails design, engineering, manufacturing, supply, commissioning and operation and maintenance of 500-MW grid connected solar photovoltaic power project including civil works in Andhra Pradesh.
19. BHEL's first 800-MW supercritical plant becomes operational:
- Power equipment maker BHEL has commenced commercial operations of its first 800-MW unit, a supercritical thermal plant in Karnataka.
- Karnataka Power Corporation Ltd (KPCL) and BHEL are the main equity partners of RPCL, the owner and operator of this power plant.
- The milestone was achieved for the first unit of the 2x800-MW Yeramarus thermal power station of Raichur Power Corporation Ltd (RPCL), in Raichur district of Karnataka.
20. Shuttler Jwala Gutta becomes member of SAI governing body:
- Ace shuttler Jwala Gutta has been appointed a member of the governing body of Sports Authority of India (SAI).
- Jwala is a 2010 Delhi Commonwealth Games champion.
21. Babul Supriyo named vice-president of FIFA U-17 World Cup:
- Union Minister of State for Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises, Babul Supriyo has been named as Vice President of the 2017 U-17 FIFA World Cup organizing committee stated by Praful Patel, president of All India Football Federation (AIFF).
- For the first time, India to host FIFA U-17 World from October 6 to 28, 2017. Host cities are Mumbai, New Delhi, Kolkata, Kochi, Margao and Guwahati.
22. Shashank Manohar steps down as ICC Chairman:
- Shashank Manohar has stepped down as chairman of the International Cricket Council (ICC) with immediate effect.
- Manohar, a former BCCI president, who was elected unopposed as the first independent chairman of the ICC for a two year term in May 2016.
- He submitted his resignation to David Richardson, ICC Chief Executive, just 8 months into his term.
- ICC will now elect an interim chairman before holding elections for a permanent candidate.