1. Girl child ratio increases to 938 per 1000 male: Haryana
- The Haryana govt. has informed that the girl child ratio has increased to 938 per 1000 male children in February in Haryana.
- In January 2017, the registered girl child ratio was 922.
- The gradual increase in the ratio of girl child is the result of effective implementation of 'Beti Bachao Beti Padhao' programme.
2. 2-day North-East Business Summit begins in New Delhi:
- A two-day North-East Business Summit (NEBS) begins in New Delhi.
- The summit aims to display the strengths, potentials, and initiatives of the North-East, promote investment the region and also have focused deliberations on strategic areas like healthcare, connectivity, agriculture, food processing and energy.
- The Summit will also showcase the untapped business potential of North-East to investors worldwide.
3. Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah launches 'Pratibimba' to project achievements:
- Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah launched a comprehensive web-based platform Pratibimba to showcase the government’s performance and achievements to the citizens.
- This dash board will serve as a tool to improve efficiency in governance and allow citizens to track government’s progress.It is available both in English and Kannada.
- After Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka has such dash board which will help to report, track and measure departmental performance on programmes, projects and promises made by the government.
4. INS Tillanchang commissioned by Indian Navy:
- India Navy has commissioned INS Tillanchang at Karwar, Karnataka. It is a Water Jet Fast Attack Craft (WJFAC) It is the third ship of four follow-on WJFAC built by the Kolkata based Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE).
- The first two ships INS Tarmugli and INS Tihayu which were commissioned in 2016. These ships will play a vital role in light of India’s security environment.
- They are designed to take on both conventional and asymmetric threats.
- INS Tillanchang has been indigenously designed and built and is an upgrade from the Chetlat class of Fast Attack Craft (FCA).
5. Vishwanath Mahadeshwar elected Mumbai Mayor:
- The Shiv Sena nominee and three-time corporator from Santacruz Vishwanath Mahadeshwar has been elected 76th Mayor of Mumbai, with the support of the BJP.
- He defeated Congress nominee ‘Vitthal Lokare’ by the 171-31 margin.
- The Mayor of Mumbai is the first citizen of the Indian city of Mumbai.
- The election result of Bombay Municipal Corporation had thrown up a hung verdict with the Shiv Sena winning 84 seats and the Bharatiya Janata Party winning 82 seats out of 227.
6. India Has Highest Bribery Rate Among 16 Asia-Pacific Nations:
- According to the Global Corruption Barometer released by Transparency International (TI), in Berlin for 16 Asia Pacific countries India tops the list for being the most corrupt nation.
- According to the survey, about 69 percent of the population in India paid bribe to get their work done. India was followed by Vietnam (65%), Thailand (41%), Cambodia, Pakistan and Myanmar, each with 40%. Besides, China (26%) was one of the least corrupt nations and it was the lowest in Japan (0.2%).
7. Vice President Hamid Ansari Attends IORA Summit in Jakarta:
- Vice President Hamid Ansari was on a two-day visit to Indonesia to attend the 21-nation Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA) Summit in Jakarta, Indonesia from March 6-7, 2017.
- The theme of Summit is ‘Strengthening Maritime Cooperation for a Peaceful, Stable and Prosperous Indian Ocean’.
- IORA has 21 member states, including Australia, Bangladesh, Comoros, India, Indonesia, Iran, Kenya, Madagascar, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mozambique, Oman, Seychelles, Singapore, Somalia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Thailand, UAE, and Yemen.
8. Vijay Goel constitutes committee to look into women players' grievances:
- The sports minister Vijay Goel has constituted a high-level committee to look in to the grievances of women players in New Delhi.
- The five- member (two- woman player and one sports journalist) committee will be headed by Joint Secretary of Sports Ministry.
- The government will soon start a diploma course for women coaches.
- First “Gramin Khel Mahotsav” will be held from 25th to 31st March in New Delhi.
- This festival will help participation of rural youth in large numbers in popular sports and encourage them to achieve excellence and adopt healthy life style.
9. EPFO extends Digital Life Certificate submission through Jeevan Pramaan Patra by March 31:
- The Employees' Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) has extended the last date of submission of digital life certificate through Jeevan Pramaan Patra by March 31st, 2017 under Employees' Pension Scheme (EPS).
- The decision was taken as many pensioners failed to submit their life certificates for continuation of drawal of pension.
- An official released that members and pensioners of the EPS are required to furnish Aadhaar number by the end march, 2017.
10. 'India by Nile' fest to begin in Egypt:
- India has organized the fifth edition of the mega cultural festival 'India by the Nile' in Egypt on 8th March to showcase the diversity of the country's culture, arts and cuisine for building enduring partnership between the two ancient civilizations.
- For the first time, the Indian flag will be projected onto the Giza Pyramids as part of the celebration. The festival, to be held in Cairo, Giza, Alexandria, Port Said and Ismaila governorates from March 8 to April 27, 2017.
- It is the largest cultural foreign festival in Egypt and has been a great success in the country.
11. India launches Stage II of HCFC Phase Out Management Plan:
- The Union Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change (MoEFCC) has launched Stage II of HCFCs Phase Out Management Plan (HPMP) for the 2017-23 period.
- It aims to phase out use of Hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFCs), harmful ozone-depleting substances (ODS) by switching over to non-ozone depleting and low global warming potential technologies.
12. IIT-M solar inverter system wins award:
- Indian Institute of Technology-Madras has won the 2017 Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Spectrum Technology in the Service of Society Award for its solar-direct current (DC) inverter system.
- The system, developed using microgrid technology, converts in-home power distribution from 230V Analog Current to 48V DC to directly power appliances and devices.
13. IDFC Aadhaar Pay launched:
- IDFC Bank has launched India’s first biometric-based payment system 'Aadhaar Pay' in New Delhi.
- The Aadhaar Pay app has been developed by IDFC Bank under the guidance of the Ministry of IT, NITI Aayog, Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), and National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI).
- The android app will use the fingerprint of the customer as a digital identity. Customers simply need to select their bank’s name and enter their Aadhaar number in the merchant’s phone.
14. D. Bala Venkatesh Varma concurrently accredited as the Ambassador of India to Andorra:
- IFS officer, D. Bala Venkatesh Varma has been concurrently accredited as the next Ambassador of lndia to the Principality of Andorra, with residence in Madrid (Spain).
- Venkatesh was presently working as the ambassador of lndia to the Kingdom of Spain.
15. Karur Vysya Bank launches 3 technology services:
- Karur-based Karur Vysya Bank’ s Chief Executive K. Venkataraman has rolled-out of three technology services FASTag, UPI and BBPS.
- FASTag : The FASTag service has been launched in association with the Indian Highways Management Company, a subsidiary of National Highways Authority of India.The preloaded tags affixed on vehicles are valid at all toll plazas throughout the country.
- UPI app : United Payments Interface (UPI) is a mobile app that enables inter-bank transfer of funds. The transfer is effected through the IMPS (Immediate Payment Service) platform of NPCI (National Payments Corporation of India).
- BBPS : BBPS (Bharat Bill Payment System) will make utility bill payments such as electricity bills, water charges and gas cylinders, among others, at a single site instead of accessing multiple sites.
16. Veteran journalist Arvind Padmanabhan dies:
- Veteran journalist Arvind Padmanabhan, an Executive Editor at IANS, died of cardiac arrest.Padmanabhan, who would have turned 50 next month, breathed his last .
- Arvind Padmanabhan had a long inning at IANS, joining the India Abroad newspaper that was then part of the wire service in 1999 as in-charge of its Business Section.He was earlier with the PTI, The Times of India and TV18.
17. Ex Puducherry Minister M Chandrakasu passes away in Chennai:
- Former Minister of Puducherry M Chandrakasu (65-year) passed away in Chennai after prolonged illness.
- Chandrakasu represented Nedungad constituency in the outlying enclave of Karaikal for six terms.
- He was Agriculture Minister in the Rangasamy Government.
18. Ashwin, Jadeja jointly ranked number one in ICC Test rankings:
- India’s Ravichandran Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja have become the first pair of spinners to be jointly top-ranked in the MRF Tyres ICC Player Rankings for Test Bowlers as Jadeja has caught up with his spin-partner in the rankings after the second Test against Australia in Bengaluru.