1. International Women's Day being observed on 8th March:
- International Women's Day is observed globally on 8th March every year. It is a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. The day also marks a call to action for accelerating gender parity.
- The theme of International Women's Day (IWD) 2017 campaign is 'Be Bold For Change'.
- IWD has been observed since in the early 1900's - a time of great expansion and turbulence in the industrialized world that saw booming population growth and the rise of radical ideologies.
- IWD is all about unity, celebration, reflection, advocacy and action - whatever that looks like globally at a local level. But one thing is for sure, it has been occurring for well over a century and continue's to grow from strength to strength.
2. Government launches Web Portal for obtaining CRZ Clearances:
- The Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) has launched the web portal for obtaining Coastal Regulation Zone (CRZ) clearances.
- The portal is a web-based system for obtaining clearances required from the Ministry under the (CRZ) by the Project proponents for ease of doing business.
- The objectives of the web portal are to Enhance efficiency, transparency and accountability in the process of CRZ clearances, Enhance responsiveness through workflows and availability of real-time information on the status of CRZ clearance proposals and ease of business and convenience of citizens in accessing information and services.
3. International Yoga fest begins in New Delhi:
- Today, Information and Broadcasting Minister Venkaiah Naidu has inaugurated the two-day International Yoga fest at Talkatora stadium New Delhi.
- More than 3,500 participants including eminent yoga gurus, yoga masters, scholars, policy makers and representatives from 15-18 countries participated in this mega event.
- It was comprised of parallel yoga workshop, lectures, Satsang, cultural programmes and yoga demos.
4. Prez Pranab Mukherjee honours Asia's first woman diesel engine driver:
- Mumbai motorwoman Mumtaz M. Kazi was honoured with this years "Nari Shakti Award" by President Pranab Mukherjee on Wednesday.
- Kazi is presently a motorwoman piloting suburban locals trains of Central Railway on the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus.
5. Hyderabad airport ranks 1st in world in airport service quality:
- Rajiv Gandhi Hyderabad International Airport has secured first position in the world in the prestigious Airports Council International (ACI) Airport Service Quality (ASQ) survey in the 5-15 million passengers per annum (MPPA) category for the year 2016.
- The survey shows that Hyderabad Airport has steadily improved its score from 4.4 in 2009 to 4.9 in 2016, according to a GMR's Hyderabad International Airport limited (GHIAL) statement.
- Besides, the Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA) in Delhi has been ranked world’s second best airport in the category of passenger handling capacity of more than 40 million passengers annually.
6. CBSE launches Exam Locator Mobile App:
- The CBSE has launched a mobile app called CBSE Exam Locator.
- The Mobile App, will help students writing the CBSE Board Exams 2017 to find their exam centre.
- On the app, a candidate will be able to know the exam centre by simply feeding his/her roll number.
7. MakeMyTrip, PayPal partner for hotel bookings:
- Payments platform PayPal announced an extension of its merchant partnership with MakeMyTrip, Indian online travel booking company, to facilitate hotel and holidays booking in addition to airline tickets.
- The partnership with MakeMyTrip will help foreign tourists continue to enjoy the seamless and secure PayPal experience to book hotels and holiday packages and tide through the recent challenges they are facing post the demonetization of select Indian currencies, a release issued.
8. SBI launches 'Work from Home' facility for employees:
- Country's largest lender State Bank of India launched a new facility to enable its employees to 'work from home'.
- The Board of the bank has recently approved the 'Work from Home' policy to enable its employees to work while at home using mobile devices to address any urgent requirement they may have, that prevents their traveling to work.
- The lender will be using mobile computing technologies and shall have continuous control over all the enabled devices. The use of technology and services shall be monitored through carefully designed Management Information System (MIS) and dashboard to enable improvements and refinements.
- Bank also stated that going forward cross-sell, marketing, Customer relationship management (CRM), social media management, settlement & reconciliation, complaints management applications will also be enabled to make the work from home services comprehensive and increase the employee productivity multifold.
9. Fitch Estimates Indian Economy to Grow 7.1% in 2016-17:
- Global rating agency Fitch stated that Indian economy will grow by 7.1% in the current fiscal, 2016-2017 before stepping up to 7.7% in the next two financial years.
- The US-based agency, however, termed the 7% GDP growth for the October-December, 2016 quarter as surprising, a tad lower than 7.4% in the previous quarter.
10. China overtakes eurozone as world’s biggest bank system:
- According to the Financial Times, China’s banking system has overtaken the eurozone to become the world’s biggest by assets.
- Statistics show Chinese bank assets hit $33 trillion at the end of 2016, versus $31 trillion for the eurozone. US assets stood at $16 trillion and the Japanese at $7 trillion.
- The value of China’s banking system is more than 3.1 times the size of the country’s annual economic output, compared with 2.8 times for the eurozone and its banks.
11. Aishwarya Rai Bachchan wins best actress award for Sarbjit:
- The actor Aishwarya Rai Bachchan who played the character of Sarabjit Singh’s sister Dalbir Kaur, has won the Best Actress award at the International Film Festival and Awards of Australia (IFFAA).
- Sarbjit, which marked Jackky Bhagnani’s debut as a producer, was also shortlisted as one of the 336 feature films, which were eligible for Best Picture in 2016 at the 89th Academy Awards. However, it could not make it to the final lists of the awards.
12. SERB Fellowship Award To Lalji Singh:
- Former director of Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB) Lalji Singh has been selected for ‘SERB Distinguished Fellow’ award by the Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB).
- The award carries an amount of Rs.60,000 per month and a research grant of Rs.5 lakh a year for three years extendable by two years.
13. Bengal’s Popular Folk Singer Kalikaprasad Bhattarcharya Dies:
- Popular Bengali folk music singer Kalika Prasad Bhattacharya died in a road accident at Palsit in West Bengal. He was 47.
- The folk singer voiced in films like Jaatishwar (2014), Moner Manush (2010) and Bhuban Majhi (2017).
14. Cuevas wins third Brasil Open tennis title:
- Uruguay's Pablo Cuevas won his third consecutive Brasil Open title by beating Spain's Albert Ramos-Vinolas in a final.
- Rogério Dutra Silva (Brazil) and André Sá (Brazil), defeated Marcus Daniell (New Zealand) and Marcelo Demoliner (Brazil) in Doubles Men's Category.