1. Andy Murray beats Fernando Verdasco to win first Dubai Championships title:
- Britain's Andy Murray captured his first title of the year and became the first British man to win the Dubai Tennis Championships in its 25-year history when he defeated Fernando Verdasco 6-3, 6-2 on Saturday.
- It is Murray's first tournament win of 2017 and the 45th of his career, which will see him extend his lead over Novak Djokovic at the top of the rankings.
2. GST Council approves draft CGST and IGST Bills:
- The Centre and States approved the model draft Bills for Centre and Integrated goods and services tax (GST).
- The Council has also included a revised peak rate of 20 percent under GST, instead of the earlier 18 percent. This would mean that the total incidence of the tax could go as high as 40 percent.
- The next meeting of the Council will now be held on March 16, when it will finalize the draft Bills for State and Union Territory GST.
3. Hyderabad University research projects bags Rs113 cr funding:
- Strategic research projects at the University of Hyderabad (UoH) Centre-ARCHEM supported by the Defence Ministry will get a whopping Rs. 113 crore funding for the next five years.
- The University, among the top five in the country will very soon become the first public-funded University to house a 500 MHz NMR (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance), as a joint facility between the the Advanced Centre for Research in High Energy Materials (ARCHEM) and the School of Chemistry.
4. India to host 10th International Conference on Theory and Practice of Electronic Governance:
- India for first time will host International Conference on Theory and Practice of Electronic Governance (ICEGOV2017).
- It will be hosted in collaboration with United Nations University and UNESCO.
- The objective of ICEGOV2017 is to explore how Digital Government can lead to Digital Empowerment by local knowledge.
5. Iran tests S-300 air defence system:
- Iran 'successfully' tested the Russian-made S-300 surface-to-air missile defence system.
- The test was aimed at analyzing the performance of the S-300 system.
- Iran purchased the system from Russia and integrated it into the defence system of the country in 2016.
6. South Korea and United States Begin Annual Military Drill Foal Eagle:
- The United States and South Korean troops started their large-scale annual military drill named Foal Eagle.
- The month-long exercises will run last in April 2017 and will overlap with the Key Resolve exercise which will begin on March 13, 2017.
- The aim of the military exercise is to test their defense readiness against the threat from North Korea.
- North Korea conducted its first ballistic missile test of 2017 in February and views the Foal Eagle Exercise 2017 as preparation for war against it.
7. India to supply additional 60 MW power to Bangladesh:
- India is going to supply additional 60 MW power from its ONGC-Tripura power plant to Bangladesh, agreement likely to be signed later this month.
- Earlier, Bangladesh had sought additional 100 MW power from OTPC's Palatana plant and Tripura government also proposed to the Central government affirmatively.
- India started supplying 500 MWs power to Bangladesh in 2013 after a deal was signed between India’s NTPC Vidyut Vyapar Nigam Limited and Bangladesh Power Development Board in February, 2012.
8. Vodafone launches ReConnect programme to offer job to 1,000 women:
- Vodafone group recently launched the Vodafone ReConnect programme to bring women in 26 countries back into the workplace after a career break.
- The company said it would hire 1,000 women in the next three years as a result of the programme.
9. Google India inks MoU with Telangana government:
- Google India and Telangana government have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) aimed at supporting the digitization efforts of the state.
- Google India will provide Google Cloud credits and access to all cloud platform products to eligible startups engaged with Telangana government’s T-Hub initiative and through its Developer Relations team provide technical mentor-ship and advisory support to various startups.
10. Facebook launches 'disputed' tag to crack down on fake news:
- Facebook has launched its "disputed tag" in the US to crack down on fake news.
- The new feature uses non-partisan third-party organisations like Snopes and Politifact to assess the factual accuracy of stories.
- The new tool was first revealed by users on Twitter.
11. Aadhaar mandatory for Students to get Mid-Day Meal:
- The Union Human Resource Development Ministry has issued a notification making mandatory for students to have an Aadhaar card to get served cooked meal under the Mid-Day Meal (MDM) Scheme.
- The use of Aadhaar as identity document aims at improving efficiency and transparency in the scheme and simplifies government’s delivery process and subsidies.