1. 4th India-CLMV Business Conclave held in Jaipur:
- The fourth edition of India – CLMV (Cambodia, Lao PDR, Myanmar and Vietnam) Business Conclave was held in Jaipur, capital of Rajasthan.
- The two-day conference organised by Department of Commerce and Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) held deliberations on manufacturing, renewable energy, agriculture and skilling among others sectors in the region.
- The conference was aimed at identifying specific project opportunities and seeks business partnerships in the region. It consisted of business to business meetings and sectorial sessions.
2. Author Neil Gaiman Named U.N. Goodwill Ambassador:
- The author Neil Gaiman has been appointed as a global Goodwill Ambassador of the UN Refugee Agency,UNHCR by Filippo Grandi, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees.
- He has appointed to raise awareness about the plight of forcibly displaced people and to generate much needed funds.
3. India, Nepal to conduct 11th Surya Kiran joint exercise from March 7:
- India and Nepal will conduct the 11th Surya Kiran joint exercise from March 7 to March 20, focusing on counter-insurgency drills.
- The infantry battalion-level joint exercise will be conducted at Pithoragarh, in Uttarakhand.
- The Surya Kiran exercise is an annual exercise, conducted alternately in India and Nepal.
4. IAS officer Sumit Mullick appointed as Chief Secretary of Maharashtra:
- Senior IAS officer Sumit Mullick appointed as the Chief Secretary of Maharashtra.
- Mullick will succeed Swadheen Kshatriya, who was due for retirement on 31st of January,2017 but was given a month's extension.
- He had earlier served as the Divisional Commissioner of Amravati and worked as Secretary of School Education. He was also Secretary to the Governor.
5. MEITY to promote digital transactions in place of NITI Aayog:
- The Union Government has shifted the responsibility of promoting digital transactions in the country to the Union Ministry of IT and Electronics (MEITY) from NITI (National Institution for Transforming India) Aayog.
- In this regard, Government already has changed the business transaction rules to enable MEITY to promote digital transactions, including digital payments.
- This decision was taken in view of the core competence of MEITY to promote digital means for various transactions.
6. Google launches 'Meet by Google Hangouts':
- Google has today launched another communication app called "Meet by Google Hangouts".
- It's made for high-definition video calls between as many as 30 people.
- Meet by Google Hangouts seems to be aimed at enterprise customers.
7. SIDBI, CSFB pact to help MSMEs avail loans at cheaper rate:
- SIDBI signed an agreement with the Capital Small Finance Bank (CSFB) to enable it to provide loans at a concessional rate to Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) through a multi-pronged strategy comprising of concessional funding at MCLR of CSFB (presently 9.60%) under refinance from SIDBI.
- The MoU also envisages joint financing/co-financing of MSMEs for capital expenditure under ‘SIDBI Make in India Soft Loan Fund for Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises’, popularly known as SMILE, at a concessional rate of 9.60% by SIDBI.
8. Cisco and Reliance Jio to build world’s largest All-IP Digital Services Platform:
- Reliance Jio has announced collaboration with networking giant Cisco to build world’s largest All-IP Digital Services Platform.
- It will further expand Jios existing multi-terabit network capacity to offer a combination of high-speed data, VoLTE, mobile video, digital commerce, media, cloud and payment services.
- Jio’s netwrok is the first of its kind globally to reach fastest growth to 100 million broadband and VoLTE customers milestone within six months of launch.
- Jio’s All-IP digital platform is built on Cisco’s Open Network Architecture and Cloud Scale Networking technologies featuring IP/MPLS, spanning areas, including Wi-Fi, data centre, security and contact centre solutions.
9. Government signs Financing Agreement with World Bank for Tejaswini Project:
- The Union Government has signed a Financing Agreement with World Bank for IDA credit of $63 million for the Tejaswini Socio-Economic Empowerment of Adolescent Girls and Young Women (AGYW) Project.
- It is World Bank’s first project in India solely focused on the welfare of adolescent girls and young women (AGYW) aged between 14 and 24 to complete their secondary level education and provide relevant skills for job market.
10. Lakshmi Vilas Bank ties with Centrum for its wealthy clients:
- South-based Lakshmi Vilas Bank has tied up with Centrum Group in which the bank will refer its High Net Worth Individuals (HNI) to Centrum for wealth management and family office services.
- Centrum will conduct the business through its wealth management arm, Centrum Wealth Management and will offer its existing portfolio of wealth management services to the bank’s HNI clients.
- This is the first time in the country that a private bank has given the charge to an independent professional wealth.
11. American Express launches 'Buyer Initiated Payments' to eliminate cheque, draft payments:
- American Express, a global leader in payment solutions has launched an electronic payment platform linked to corporate card, Buyer Initiated Payments (BIP) to eliminate payment through cheques or drafts.
- The BIP card will help organizations and their vendors by reducing the processing cost and offer extended payment terms compared to traditional invoice payments. BIP enables companies to increase the Days Payable Outstanding (DPO) while still paying vendors on time management firm for such services.
12. Canara, HSBC and OBC Banks launched iSelect Term Plan:
- Canara, HSBC and Oriental Bank of Commerce Life Insurance launched iSelect term plan to expand its online product suit with the meant for family protection.
- iSelect term plan provides enhanced protection cover for the family at an affordable premium.
- It is a pure protection online term plan that provides life insurance cover along with the option to cover against accidental death/ disability.
13. DIFC, GIFT City join hands for mutual co-operation:
- Gujarat International Finance Tec City (GIFT) City has signed a pact with Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) for exchanging views and expertise in the fields of banking and financial services as well as regulatory practices.
- The agreement was signed by Arif Amiri, chief executive officer of DIFC Authority and Ajay Pandey, director and group CEO of GIFT SEZ.
14. Popular Gujarati Writer Tarak Mehta Passes Away at 87:
- Popular Gujarati writer and noted play writer Tarak Mehta passed away.
- He was 87 and suffering from age related illness since long. The famous humorist was best known for his column 'Duniya Ne Undha Chasma' in Mumbai based Gujarati news weekly 'Chitralekha'.
- He was awarded Padma Shri in 2015.The popular comic television serial ‘Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah' is a television adaptation of Padma Shri Taarak Mehta's column 'Duniya Ne Undha Chasma'.
15. Shantha Rangaswamy becomes first woman to get BCCI lifetime achievement award:
- Former Indian women’s cricketer Shantha Rangaswamy (63) became the first female cricketer to be nominated for the BCCI’s C K Nayudu Lifetime Lifetime Achievement Award.
- She is pioneer of Indian women’s cricket and was Indian women’s cricket team’s first captain way back in 1976.
- She was also Indian women’s cricket’s first international centurion and the first captain to win a Test. She is also the first woman cricketer to win the Arjuna Award.
- In her career, she had played 16 Tests from 1976 to 1991, captaining in 8 matches and 19 ODIs, captaining in 16 matches from 1981 to 1984.
16. Indian Badminton Duo Tarun Kona and Alwin Francis Wins Uganda International Series Doubles Title:
- Top seeded Indian shuttler duo Tarun Kona and Alwin Francis won the Men’s Double title at the 2017 Uganda International Series by defeating Aatish Lubah and Georges Julien Paul of Mauritius, 21-8, 21-14 at MTN Arena Lugogo, Kampala.
- The Uganda International Badminton Tournament 2017, sanctioned by the Badminton World Federation, was held from 23rd to 26th of February 2017.
17. Jitu Rai wins gold at ISSF World Cup in 50m free pistol, Amanpreet Singh silver:
- Jitu Rai won the gold medal in men’s 50 meter free pistol event of the ISSF World Cup, with a world record score of 230.1.
- India’s Amanpreet Singh wins silver with a score of 226.9.
- Jitu Rai also won bronze medal in the 10m air pistol event for India’s fourth podium finish in the ongoing ISSF World Cup, with a score of 216.7.