1. NITI Aayog launches India Innovation Index:
- The National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog and Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) jointly launched a first of its kind online portal, India Innovation Index to rank the states on the basis of innovation.
- The index has been jointly developed by NITI Aayog, DIPP and CII in consultation with World Economic Forum (WEF), World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), Cornell University, UNIDO, ILO, OECD, UNESCO, ITU etc.
- The portal was inaugurated by Mr Amitabh Kant, CEO NITI Aayog on February 2, 2017 in New Delhi.
- The index would consider Global Innovation Index indicators and other India–centric data from various states to determine the ranking which will be updated periodically.
2. China successfully tests DF-5C missile with 10 nuclear warheads:
- China has successfully tested a new version of a DF-5C missile that can carry up to 10 nuclear warheads.
- The flight test of the missile was carried using 10 multiple independently targetable re-entry vehicles, (MIRVs), from the Taiyuan Space Launch Centre in Shanxi province and to an impact range in the western Taklamakan desert.
- The Dongfeng 5 (DF-5) is a three stage Chinese intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM). It has a length of 32.6 m and a diameter of 3.35 m.
- It weighs in at 183,000 kilograms with range of 12,000 to 15,000 kilometers.
3. Right to Information Act comes into force in Sri Lanka:
- Today, the historic Right to Information (RTI) Act has come into force in Sri Lanka.
- The act marks the culmination of a movement of over 20 years to ensure transparency in governance and easy availability of information.
- As per the act, public authorities are liable to share information within the specified timelines, subject to a maximum of 28 days.
- Earlier, Parliament unanimously passed the Right to Information Act on June 24, 2016.
4. India, Sri Lanka signs MoU to construct new multi-ethnic tri-lingual secondary school:
- India and Sri Lanka have signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to construct a new multi-ethnic tri-lingual secondary school in Polonnaruwa District of Sri Lanka.
- The MoU was signed by of India’s High Commissioner to Sri Lanka Taranjit Singh Sandhu and Secretary to the Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Education Sunil Hettiarachchi.
5. Govt. notifies new rules for medical devices:
- The union health ministry has notified new rules for medical devices to remove regulatory bottlenecks and ensure availability of medical devices for patients.
- Now, manufacturers will not be required to renew licenses periodically and submission of applications and grant of licenses will be done online.
- Under the new rules, manufacturing and import licences will remain valid till these are suspended, cancel or surrendered.
- The new rules have been framed in conformity with Global Harmonisation Task Force (GHTF) framework and conform to best international practices.
6. Sanjeev Sanyal appointed as Principal Economic Adviser:
- Sanjeev Sanyal, former global strategist and MD of Deutshe Bank, was appointed as Principal Economic Adviser.
- The Appointments Committee of Cabinet has approved Sanyal's appointment for three years.
- He was Chief Economist and Director of Global Markets Research at Deutsche Bank in Singapore until 2008.
7. India’s SpiceJet Honored at Asia One Awards in Singapore:
- Gurgaon based airline, SpiceJet made record by winning awards in three prime categories at the Asia One Awards held in Singapore.
- The low-cost airline was honoured as the ‘Asia’s Greatest Brands – 2016’ at the function. The selection process was supervised by PricewaterhouseCoopers.
- Among others, Chairman and Managing Director of SpiceJet, Mr. Ajay Singh, was honored with the title of the ‘Global Asian of the year’, 2016.
- The Chief Financial Officer Mr. Kiran Koteshwar won the award for ‘Asia’s Greatest CFO 2016’.
8. Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah inaugurates 9th Bengaluru International Film Festival:
- Chief Minister of Karnataka Siddaramaiah has inaugurated the 9th edition of Bengaluru International Film Festival in front of Vidhana Soudha, Bengaluru (Karnataka).
- The highlight of the evening was the video mapping of Kannada and world cinema projected on the pillars of the building.
- Form 55 countries,200 films will be screened in Bengaluru and Mysuru during this film festival.
9. Sula Fest begins in Maharashtra:
- The tenth edition of Sula Fest has begun on 03rd February at the Sula Vineyards in Nashik, Maharashtra.
- The line-up for the three-day festival, which will also feature professional wine tastings and grape stomping, includes artists Infected Mushroom and Nucleya.
- Tickets for Sula Fest, which is offering a camping stay facility, range from RS. 1500 to Rs. 4900.
10. HSBC Estimates India’s GDP Growth at 7.1% in 2017-18:
- HSBC has estimated the GDP growth rate of India at 7.1 percent for the year 2017-18 which is up from the 6.3 percent in the year 2016-17.
- The main reason for this increase is cited to sufficient remonetization by April end, thus boosting the consumption level in the country to normal. Besides, the schemes announced in Budget 2017-18 are also seen to play major role in the growth rate.
- Besides, the investment is projected to remain weak within a range of 7.5-8 percent.
- The Union Government has singed Financing Agreement for IDA credit of $201.50 million with World Bank for the ‘Third Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme’ (TEQIP III).
- The agreement was signed by Raj Kumar, Joint Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs and Junaid Kamal Ahmad, Country Director, World Bank India.
- The aim of the TEQIP III programme is to enhance quality and improve efficiency of the Engineering Education System.
12. Apple to start manufacturing in India:
- Apple has reached an agreement with the Karnataka government to set up a manufacturing plant in Bengaluru(Karnataka).
- Apple is reportedly expected to start production for the Indian market by June.
- India will be only the third country globally to assemble iPhones.
13. NABARD Sanctions Rs 157 crore Loan to Haryana for Drinking Water Project:
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) sanctioned a loan amount of Rs. 157 crore to the Government of Haryana to undertake drinking water project.
- Under the project, the government would undertake drinking water supply scheme in 84 villages of districts Palwal and Faridabad.
- As per the project, portable drinking water would be supplied in selected villages in blocks Prithla, Palwal and Ballabhgarh from Yamuna flood plain by constructing ranney wells and deep tubewells.
- The project is likely to benefit 3,06,814 persons. The loan amount has been sanctioned from the Rural Infrastructure Development Fund (RIDF).
- Till date NABARD has provided Rs 5,794 crore assistance to Harayana government under RIDF since its inception in 1995-96.
14. Lakshya Sen becomes World No.1 Junior Badminton player:
- India's young shuttler Lakshya Sen (15-year) has become the World No 1 Junior Badminton player in the latest rankings of the Badminton World Federation (BWF).He moved Chia-Hao Lee of Chinese Taipei to attain the top spot.
- Lakshya got 16,903 points in eight tournaments in the season and Chia Hao 16,091 points.
- He is the first shuttler from Uttarakhand to attain the number one spot at the international level.
- Earlier, his brother Chirag Sen was ranked number two in the world junior badminton rankings.
- He won the Senior India International Series Badminton Tournament along with the All India Senior Ranking Badminton Tournament at Itanagar.
15. Former Chelsea midfielder from England Lampard Retires at 38:
- English professional footballer Frank Lampard announced his retirement from professional Frank Lampardsoccer on February 2, 2017 ending his 21-year-old career.
- The England soccer player has scored a record of 211 goals and made appearances in 649 games from 2001-14.