1. 'Chinnamma' Sasikala to be next Tamil Nadu CM:
- AIADMK general secretary VK Sasikala was on Sunday elected as legislature party leader by MLAs during a party meeting.
- Later the party announced, "Chinnamma all set to become the Next Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu."
- Tamil Nadu CM O Panneerselvam has submitted his resignation.
2. Haryana tops with highest cancer cases among states, Delhi 2nd in the race:
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute (FMRI) cancer registry said that highest number of cancer cases in 2014 were reported from Haryana followed by Delhi.
- The highest number of cancer cases recorded from Indian states were from Haryana at 39.6% followed by Delhi at 27.3% and Uttar Pradesh at 12.7%.
3. Govt forms panel to improve Haj policy, look into subsidy issue:
- The Centre has formed a six-member committee to give a report on ways to improve India's Haj policy and also look into the issue of subsidy to the pilgrimage in light of 2012 Supreme Court order on gradually reducing and abolishing it by 2022.
- Former Consulate General of India (CGI), Jeddah, Afzal Amanullah has been appointed as convener of the high-level panel, Union Minister of State for Minority Affairs (Independent Charge) Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi told reporters in New Delhi that the committee will submit its report in a month or two on how India's Haj policy can be improved and how the pilgrims can get maximum concessions.
4. NASA’s Juno spacecraft completes fourth flyby of Jupiter:
- NASA’s solar-powered Juno spacecraft completed closest flyby of Jupiter mysterious cloud tops for the fourth time.
- All eight of Juno’s science instruments were switched on during the flyby. During its closest approach it was roughly 4,300 km above Jupiter’s cloud tops and travelled at a speed of about 208,000 kmph.
- Currently, Juno is locked in a 53-day orbit around Jupiter.
- Juno was launched in August 2011 to study Jupiter’s composition and evolution. It’s the first solar power spacecraft to orbit Jupiter and second after Galileo.
5. Iran tests missile and radar systems:
- Iran is holding a military exercise to test its missile and radar systems.
- The move comes a day after U.S. President Donald Trump's administration imposed sanctions on Tehran for a recent ballistic missile test.
- The United States sanctioned 13 individuals and 12 entities related to Iran's missile programme.
6. BCCI opposes ICC's proposals on financial model, governance structure:
- Despite the change of guard at the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), the Indian board continued to oppose the International Cricket Council's (ICC) new changes to the financial model and governance structure on 04th February 2017.
- The changes that the BCCI, represented by Vikram Limaye, a member of the new Committee of Administrators, is currently opposing are amongst the same changes that were recommended in 2014 with respect to a larger share of ICC's revenue to be given to India.
7. Google sells satellite imaging business Terra Bella to Planet Labs:
- Alphabet Inc’s Google said on Friday it would sell its satellite imaging business, Terra Bella, to Planet Labs, a San Francisco-based private satellite operator founded by former Nasa scientists.
- As part of the deal, Planet Labs will acquire the Terra Bella business including the SkySat constellation of satellite.
- Google had acquired Terra Bella, originally known as Skybox Imaging, for $500 million in 2014.
8. KPMG India appoints Arun Kumar as Chairman and CEO:
- Leading professional services firm KPMG India has selected ex-US govt official Arun M Kumar as its new Chairman and CEO.
- Kumar, whose five-year tenure has begun from Sunday, succeeds Richard Rekhy.
- He had earlier served as Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Global Markets and Director General of the US.
9. Alibaba-made app helps find 611 missing Chinese children:
- A mobile app developed by Alibaba helped Chinese authorities recover 611 missing children last year.
- The 'Tuanyuan' app, which means 'reunion' in Chinese, sends push notifications with photos and descriptions to users who are close to the location of a child's disappearance. The notifications are sent to users farther from the location of the disappearance till the child is found.
10. Alastair Cook awarded Order of the British Empire:
- England Test captain Alastair Cook has been honoured with Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (CBE).
- He was awarded the CBE at the Buckingham Palace by Prince Charles.
- Cook is the only England player to have scored over 10,000 runs in Tests and has also led England in the most number of Tests. Cook said, receiving the CBE was a very proud moment for him, his family and friends.