1. Justice Abhay Manohar Sapre appointed chairman of Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal:
- The Chief Justice JS Khehar has appointed Justice Abhay Manohar Sapre as the chairman of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal.
- Justice Sapre is the sitting judge of the Supreme Court of India.The post was vacant since Justice Balbir Singh Chauhan resigned from the post.
- Earlier in December 2016, the Union Cabinet approved a proposal to set up a single, permanent Tribunal to adjudicate all inter-state river water disputes subsuming existing tribunals.
- Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal was established with an aim to speed up water sharing disputes among states.
2. National Biodiversity Congress 2017 held in Kerala:
- The National Biodiversity Congress (NBC) 2017 was held in Thiruvananthapuram, capital of Kerala. The event is hosted by the Kerala State Biodiversity Board.
- NBC is one of the significant biodiversity mega events of the country. It aims to identify practical, evidence-based case studies at the regional level to support the plan of action.
- The focal theme of 2017 NBC was “Mainstreaming Biodiversity for Sustainable Development”.
4. Arunachal CM Pema Khandu inaugurates Composite Regional Centre in Itanagar:
- Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu in the presence of Union Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju inaugurated the Composite Regional Centre at Itanagar Banquet Hall, Arunachal Pradesh.
- To create resources and infrastructure required for developing services for persons with disabilities with an outlay of Rs.20 Crore.
- The centre is established under the National Institute for Locomotor Disabilities (NILD), Kolkata.
5. Govt launches free anti-virus software for mobiles, desktops:
- At a time when cyber attacks are increasing Union Minister of Electronics and IT Ravi Shankar Prasad launched Cyber Swachhta Kendra in New Delhi for Botnet cleaning and Malware analysis as a part of digital India initiative.
- The government has launched free anti-virus softwares for smartphones and personal computers named 'Mkavach' and 'Samvid' respectively. Another software named 'USBPratirodh' has been launched to control the unauthorised usage of removable USB storage devices.
6. Delhi to get India's first heliport:
- The first heliport in India will be inaugurated by Civil Aviation Minister Ashok Gajapathi Raju in North Delhi on (28 February 2017).
- The heliport, built by state-owned Pawan Hans, consists of a terminal building, nine parking bays and four hangars with a parking capacity of 16 helicopters. It was built at an investment of Rs. 100 crore
7. Jammu & Kashmir to observe 2017 as Year of Apple:
- J & K Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti has declared 2017 as ‘Year of Apple’ to promote the famed Kashmiri apples in domestic and foreign markets.
- She also launched the High Density Apple Plantation Scheme in Srinagar.
8. Azerbaijan Prez names wife as country’s First Vice President:
- Azerbaijan's President Ilham Aliyev has appointed his wife Mehriban Aliyev (52-year) as the First Vice President of the country.
- The Vice President position was created after a constitutional referendum in September, 2016.
- According to Azerbaijan's constitution, the First Vice President takes over the country's presidency if the president is unable to perform the duties.
9. Cabinet approves signing of Air Services Agreement between India and Greece:
- Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the signing of Air Services Agreement (ASA) between India and Greece.
- The Agreement has the potential to spur greater trade, investment, tourism and cultural exchange between the two countries bringing it in tune with the developments in the civil aviation sector.
- It will provide enabling environment for enhanced and seamless connectivity while providing commercial opportunities to the carriers of both the sides ensuring greater safety and security.
10. India & China to hold their 1st Strategic Dialogue:
- India and China will hold their first Strategic Dialogue in Beijing. The two sides are expected to discuss all issues of mutual concern and interest including friction points.
- External Affairs spokesman Vikas Swarup stated that two countries will discuss all issues of mutual interest in bilateral, regional and international domain.
11. An international zip line connects Spain and Portugal:
- A zip line connecting Spain and Portugal, is known to be the first cross-border zip line in the world.
- The 720-metre-long zip line joins the two countries, allowing people to reach Portugal within a minute.
- On reaching Portugal, the participants gain one hour because of the time zone change.
12. Milind Soman becomes 'Ultraman' by racing barefoot for 517.5 km:
- National level swimmer-turned-model Milind Soman (51-year) has completed an extremely high endurance event called ‘Ultraman’ a 517.5 km race on in Florida.
- The challenge requires participants to complete a 10-kilometre open water swim, a 423-kilometre-long bike ride and an 84-kilometre ultra-marathon run.
- Earlier, he completed the toughest triathlon in the world to become India’s Iron Man.
13. Telangana Govt signs MoU with NABARD for Rs 874 crore loan:
- The Telangana Government led by K. Chandrashekar Rao signed an Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with NABARD for a loan of Rs 874 crore .
- This loan will be used for Horticulture Development Corporation to cover 3.15 lakh acres under Micro Irrigation scheme for 2016-17 and 2017-18.
14. SIDBI, Vijaya Bank combine to provide concessional loans to micro, small units:
- Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Vijaya Bank for providing concessional finance to micro and small enterprises (MSEs).
- The MoU aims at promoting and strengthening units in the MSE segment through concessional funding that is at the marginal cost of funds-based lending rate (MCLR) of Vijaya Bank under refinance from SIDBI.
15. Microsoft to deploy Azure Stack in Andhra Pradesh:
- The chief minister Chandrababu Naidu and Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella singed an MoU during an event called ‘Microsoft Future Decoded’ in Mumbai.
- Under the MoU, Microsoft Azure Stack for the first time in the world will be used to migrate live applications currently hosted in Hyderabad State Data Centre (SDC) to Vizag data centre.
16. Dish TV partners with ICICI Bank for digital payments:
- Direct-to-home operator Dish TV joined hands with India’s largest private sector lender ICICI bank for digital payments.
- It will enable customers to do recharge through unified payment interface (UPI) transactions.
17. Abhijit Sarkar is new Vice Chairman of Asian Hockey Federation:
- The Asian Hockey Federation (AHF) has appointed Abhijit Sarkar as its new Vice Chairman.
- He was also appointed the Chairman of the AHF Commercial and TV Committee with immediate effect.
- Sarkar has been associated with the Sahara India Pariwar since 2004 and served as the Head of Corporate Communications, Corporate Affairs and Relations, and the Sports Division.
- The current president of AHF is Tengku Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah.
18. Dustin Johnson dominates Genesis Open to overtake world No. 1:
- American professional golfer Dustin Hunter Johnson has claimed No 1 Position in Official World Golf Ranking for the first time in his career.
- This feat comes after he ended up with a world-class performance by winning Genesis Open 2017 at Riviera.
19. India beat South Africa in final of ICC Women's World Cup Qualifier 2017:
- India beat South Africa by one wicket in the final of ICC Women World Cup Qualifier 2017 at Colombo, Shri Lanka.
- India bowled out South Africa for 244 in 49.4 overs and achieved the target of 245 runs on the last ball of the 50th over.
- India is the only unbeaten team in the tournament. Both teams had already qualified in this year's ICC World Cup tournament.