1. India’s first floating elementary school inaugurated on Manipur’s Loktak Lake:
- The first floating elementary school of India named ‘Loktak Elementary Floating School’ has been inaugurated at Langolsabi Leikai of Champu Khangpok floating village on Loktak Lake in Manipur.
- The school has set up with an aim to provide education to drop outs students as well as illiterate adults.
- Currently, It is providing education around 40 students from Class I-III.
- It was built under the initiative undertaken by All Loktak Lake Fisherman’s Union with the support of an NGO People Resources Development Association (PRDA).
- Loktak lake (lifeline of Manipur) is the largest freshwater lake in northeast India.
2. Aero India 2017 begins in Bengaluru:
- Today, the five-day 11th biennial edition of International Aerospace and Defence Exhibition “Aero India 2017” will be held at the Yelahanka Air Force Station in Bengaluru (Karnataka).
- The event is being organized and conducted by the Defence Exhibition Organisation (DEO), Ministry of Defence.
- Nearly 270 Indian and 279 foreign companies will take part in the expo.
- A total of 51 countries are participating in the event with 72 aircraft.
- Aerobatic teams participating in the show will be the Sarang Team (Indian Air Force), the Surya Kiran Team (Indian Air Force), the Scandinavian Air Show Team (Sweden) and the Evolvkos Aerobatic Team (Britain).
- It is the second largest air show in the world after the Paris Air Show.
3. I-T dept issues refunds of Rs 1.42 cr this fiscal; 41.5% higher than last year, 2016:
- The income tax department has issued refunds of 1.42 lakh crore rupees so far this fiscal. It is 41.5 per cent higher than last year, 2016.
- The centralised processing centre of the tax department has already processed over 4.19 crore income tax returns and issued over 1.62 crore refunds during the current financial year.
- Finance Ministry in a release stated that, 92% of the refunds issued are below 50 thousand rupees, due to the high priority given to expeditious issue of refunds to small taxpayers. It stated that, only 2% of refunds less than 50 thousand rupees remain to be issued. The Ministry said that 92% of all I-T returns were processed within 60 days.
4. Thailand seeks India’s partnership in pharma, bio-tech:
- Thailand is seeking India’s cooperation in a number of sectors, such as aerospace, automation, medical devices, pharmaceutical, bio-technology and IT/ITes, as it strives to transform into a value-based economy.
- The Thailand Board of Investment, which has invited 2,500 investors from across countries to its mega seminar Opportunity Thailand 2017 this week, is especially interested in investments from India, an official from the thai government has stated.
- The India-Thailand Free Trade Agreement being considered by the two countries could play a big role in boosting trade and investments.
5. Hindustan Motors sells Ambassador Car brand to Peugeot:
- The Hindustan Motors has signed an agreement with French automaker Peugeot for sale of the Ambassador brand including the trademarks for a consideration of Rs. 80 crore.
- Earlier, Hindustan Ambassador car Owned by the CK Birla Group, manufactured at Uttarpara on the outskirts of Kolkata discontinue the production due to falling sales and mounting debt in 2014.
- It was the first diesel car of India and was the longest-produced auto brand that was manufactured between 1958 to 2014.
- Peugeot Citroen had formed a Joint Venture with CK Birla Group for the Chennai plant in January 2017 and re-enter India by 2018.
6. Bill Passed in Karnataka Assembly to allow ‘Kambala’:
- The Karnataka assembly unanimously passed the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Karnataka Amendment) Bill, 2017 to legalize the conduct of 'Kambala' and bullock cart races in Karnataka.
- The Bill seeks to amend the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, (Central Act 59 of 1960) and exempt the two sports from the ambit of the Act keeping in mind their traditional nature and also to protect native breeds of buffaloes.
- The bill states that the traditional sports events of 'Kambala' and 'Bulls race or Bullock cart race' plays significant role in preserving and promoting traditions and culture among the people in the state.
7. New bird species found in Nepal:
- A Rufous-tailed Rock Thrush has been spotted in the high mountainous region of Nepal by Friends of Nature (FoN) reasearchers and then confirmed by the bird experts Carol Inskipp and Hem Sagar Baral.
- Rufous-tailed Rock Thrush is considered an autumn passage migrant bird species in Pakistan and India.With this the total number of avian species in the Himalayan country to 866.
8. Longest elevated cycle path in the world opens in China:
- The world’s longest elevated cycle path has been opened in Xiamen, China which can handle about 2,023 cyclists with a speed limit of 15 miles per hour.
- The path is five miles long and 16 feet wide having 11 entrances and connects to 11 bus stops and two underground rail stations.
- The architecture firm responsible is Copenhagen-based firm Dissing + Weitling, known for the creation of the Danish Bicycle Snake cycle route.
9. Frank Walter Steinmeier Elected New President of Germany:
- Germany’s former Foreign Minister, Frank-Walter Steinmeier has been elected as the new President of Germany.The 61-year old won by 931 votes out of 1,239 valid votes cast by the members of the Federal Assembly.
- He is due to take office as the 12th Federal President of Germany on 19 March 2017.Steinmeier, a member of the Social Democratic party will succeed incumbent President Joachim Gauck who will step down on March 18, 2017 at the age of 77.
10. US National Security Adviser Michael Flynn resigns over his contacts with Russia:
- In the United States, National Security Adviser Michael Flynn has resigned over his contacts with Russia.
- Mr Flynn is alleged to have discussed US sanctions with the Russian Ambassador before President Donald Trump took office.
11. Maiden ITTF World Tour event in India to begin in New Delhi:
- Today, the first ever ITTF World Tour event in India has begun at the Thyagaraj Sports Complex in New Delhi.
- Overall, 80 players (52 in the men's section and 28 in the women's section) have confirmed their participation.
- The qualification rounds will be held on 14 to 15 February.
- when as many as 29 Indians will vie to make the main draw beginning 16th
- The 1.5 lakh US dollar India Open also happens to be the biggest ever ITTF event in terms of prize money.
12. National Career Services (NCS) and Jeevan Praman Facility for EPFO Pensioners Launched in Hyderabad Post Office:
- The Union Minister of State for Labour and Employment Bandaru Dattatreya launched the National Career Service (NCS) for youths and Jeevan Praman facility to EPFO pensioners through Post Offices at DakSadan in Hyderabad.
- The Post Offices will serve as an Employment Registration Centres for Unemployed rural youth on behalf of the 'National Career Service' Portal where youths can register themselves for employment in 1,55,000 post offices established across the country for over 3000 occupations offered under 52 sectors in NCS.
13. MEA & Gateway House Co-Hosts 2nd Gateway of India Geoeconomic Dialogue:
- The Ministry of External Affairs and Gateway House are co-hosting the Second Gateway of India Geoeconomic Dialogue from February 13-14, 2017 in Mumbai.
- The theme of the conference is 'Where Geopolitics meets Business'.This is India’s premier geo-economics conference with the focus on building synergies between business and foreign policy.
14. Sachin Tendulkar adopts another village for transformation:
- After transforming the lives of villagers in Puttamraju Kandriga in Andhra Pradesh, Indian cricket icon and Rajya Sabha MP Sachin Tendulkar is now set to adopt Donja in Osmanabad (Maharashtra) under the Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojna.
- Tendulkar has sanctioned over Rs 4 crore from his MPLAD fund for development of Donja.
15. GNFC township becomes India’s first cashless Township:
- India’s first cashless township “Gujarat Narmada Valley Fertilizers and Chemicals (GNFC) township”was inaugurated by Gujarat CM Vijay Rupani.
- Nearly 10,000 residents in GNFC have embraced various digital mode of payments instead of cash.In the township, residents are making cashless payments at shopping centres, schools, colleges, hospital, stadium, laundry and even at tea stalls.
16. Dutch Women Germaine De Randamie crowned first UFC Women’s Featherweight Champion:
- Netherland native Germaine de Randamie defeated Holly Holm (7-3) to claim the UFC Women’s Featherweight Champion at the UFC 208 in Brooklyn, New York .
- The featherweight division was newly introduced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) in 2016.