1. Pakistan’s naval exercise Aman 2017 begins in Karachi:
- The Pakistan Navy has kicked of its biannually-held multinational AMAN 2017 naval exercise in Karachi, Pakistan. 37 countries are participating in the international event.
- Aman-17 is the fifth edition such exercise which Pakistan has been holding biannually since 2007. Previous exercises were held in 2007, 2009, 20011, and 2013, and 2016 respectively.
- The theme of AMAN 2017 is “together for peace”. It is intended to devise procedures and techniques against conventional and non-conventional threats.
2. Ananth Kumar inaugurates Orientation Programme for launching of 1000 PMBJKs:
- The union Chemicals and Fertilizers Minister Ananth Kumar has inaugurated orientation programme for launching of one thousand Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Kendras in New Delhi.
- The workshop was targeted to educate and channelize youth to synergize their efforts for taking ahead the mission to open three thousand kendras by March 2017.
- Representatives from 24 States and 106 districts from across the country attended the programme.
- These Janaushadhi Kendras will provide affordable quality medicine to all citizens.
3. Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi inaugurates 2nd edition of 'Hunar Haat' in New Delhi:
- Today, the union Minority Affairs Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi has inaugurated the second edition of 'Hunar Haat' in New Delhi.
- The ‘Haat’ will encourage, promote and provide national and international market to master artisans and craftsmen belonging to minority communities.
- The theme of event is 'Crafts Aur Cuisine Ka Sangam' and remain open till 26th of this month.
- The Hunar Haat is unique in the sense that it is show cassing crafts and traditional cuisines brought from different parts of the country.
- 100 artisans and 30 culinary experts from about 24 states and UTs are participating at about 130 stalls in it.
4. Piyush Goyal Launches TAMRA Portal and Mobile Application for Transparency in Statutory Clearances for Mining Operations:
- The Union Minister of State (IC) for Power, Coal, New & Renewable Energy and Mines, Shri Piyush Goyal launched the TAMRA (Transparency, Auction Monitoring and Resource Augmentation) portal and Mobile Application in New Delhi.
- TAMRA Portal and Mobile Application aims to enhance the transparency and Piyush Goyalaccountability in the mining sector as a part of the Ease of Doing Business.
- The initiative will speed up mining activity in India and enable all the stakeholders to track the status of the statutory clearances associated with mining blocks for getting mines to reach till operationalization for the same.
5. India ranks 43rd out of 45 nations in 2017 International Intellectual Property Index:
- India ranked low 43rd among the surveyed 45 nations in 2017 International Intellectual Property Index (IIPI). In this edition, India is just above Pakistan (44th) and Venezuela (45th). The fifth annual index was released by US Chamber of Commerce’s Global Intellectual Property Centre (GIPC) in its report titled ‘The Roots of Innovation’.
- Top 5 Countries in 2017 IIPI are United States (1st), United Kingdom (2nd), Germany (3rd), Japan (4th) and Sweden (5th).
6. Ajay Tyagi appointed as chairman of SEBI:
- Senior IAS (1984 batch of HP cadre) officer Ajay Tyagi (58-year) will be the new Charmian of Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI).
- He will succeed Upendra Kumar Sinha, whose extended tenure ends on 1st
- Tyagi is currently Additional Secretary in the Ministry of Finance.
- He will hold the office for a maximum period five years or till he attains the age of 65 years.
7. Govt clears single exam for engineering and architecture across India from 2018:
- Admission to all engineering colleges in the country will be done through a single entrance examination from next year (2018), the government stated doing away with multiple tests conducted by central agencies, state governments and private institutions.
- A single test for engineering, as well as architecture courses, will be on lines of the National Eligibility-Cum-Entrance Test (NEET), a single, all-India test for entry to medical and dental colleges launched in 2016.
- However, students seeking admission to the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) will have to clear the JEE-Advanced after taking the engineering entrance exam.
- The human resource development ministry cleared a proposal by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), the country’s top body which frames rules and regulations for engineering and technical institutes.
8. Haryana CM Manohar Lal lays foundation stones of 21 govt colleges:
- The chief minister of Haryana Manohar Lal has laid the foundation stones of 21 government colleges to be set up in 13 districts of the state from Chandigarh through video conferencing.
- The government has made provision of 276 crore rupees for these colleges.
- Haryana Government is to exploring the possibility to introduce two courses of skill development in each college so that students could learn skills before they pass out of the college.
9. Andhra Pradesh Government constitutes 33 member committee for Sagarmala Project:
- A 33 member committee has been constituted under the chairmanship of Andhra Pradesh’s Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu for the speedy implementation of the Sagarmala Project in Andhra Pradesh.
- Sagarmala project aims to improve the state’s coastline and inland waterways.
- The committee will be responsible for overseeing the entire project and will bring together all the concerned departments and review their work on a daily basis for timely completion of the project.
10. India successfully test-fired home-grown AAD interceptor missile:
- Today, India successfully test-fired its home-grown Advanced Air Defence (AAD) interceptor missile from launching complex-IV of Dhamara Abdul Kalam defence base off Odisha coast.
- The interceptor is a 7.5-metre-long single stage solid rocket propelled guided missile equipped with a navigation system, a hi-tech computer and an electro-mechanical activator would intercept a target, mimicking an incoming enemy missile, mid-air.
- The Advanced Air Defence interceptor will destroy the incoming missile in the endo-atmospheric region at a low altitude of less than 30 kilometres.
11. GMR Hyderabad Airport bags CAPA award:
- GMR Hyderabad International Airport Limited (GHIAL), has bagged the Center for Asia Pacific Aviation’s (CAPA) newly instituted award in the category, “Best Airport Environmental Performance of the Year”.
- Airports Council International (ACI) has certified Hyderabad International Airport with Level 3+ Neutrality under its Airport Carbon Accreditation programme.
12. Sudarsan Pattnaik creates Guinness World Record by creating 48.8 feet tall sand castle:
- Sand artist ‘Sudarsan Pattnaik’ has created a ‘Guinness World Record’ by creating a 48.8 feet tall sand castle at Puri beach in Odisha in four days.
- The previous record holder is an American who completed his art of 45.10 feet in seven days.
- The sculpture was built with a message of world peace and featured sculptures of Mahatma Gandhi, Gautama Buddha and Nelson Mandela.
- The castle will be exhibited on the Puri beach for two more days.
13. Nokia to acquire Finnish telecom software company Comptel for $371 million:
- Finland multinational communications and information technology company Nokia announced to buy telecoms software firm Comptel for 347 million euros ($371 million).
- The aim of the acquisition is to help phone carriers manage their networks as mobile and more and more rely on software to improve their networks.
14. I&B Team win inter-ministry Hockey tournament 2016-17:
- The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (I&B) Hockey Team has won the inter-ministry Hockey tournament 2016-17 at the Central Secretariat Ground Vinay Marg, New Delhi.
- I&B Team Defeated Ministry of Health by three goals.
- All the Ministry teams participated in the race for the cup.
- Most entertaining player Chandan Singh was declared “Player of the match”.
15. Sports Ministry Launches Mission XI Million in New Delhi:
- The Minister of State (I/C) for Youth Affairs and Sports Shri Vijay Goyal launched the Mission XI Million, the biggest school sport outreach programme, in New Delhi.
- The programme has been launched with an aim to make football a sport of choice in India and encourage children to play the football games on regular basis.