1. Shawna Pandya To Become Third Indian-Origin Woman To Fly In Space:
- An Indian-origin neurosurgeon Dr Shawna Pandya (32) has been shortlisted by NASA for its 2018 space mission under the Citizen Science Astronaut (CSA) programme.
- She was shortlisted after securing top score in the CSA programme. If everything goes as per plan, she may join the league of Kalpana Chawla and Sunita Williams.
- She was born in Canada. She is general physician with the Alberta University Hospital. She has her roots in Mumbai, where her grandmother currently lives.
2. Government unveils first phase of Station Redevelopment Programme:
- Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu unveiled the first phase of the ambitious Station Redevelopment Programme.
- It is the world’s largest transit-oriented development programme ever executed.
- As part this programme, tenders are being floated for 23 of a total of the total 400 A1 and A category stations selected re-developing in the first phase.
3. Gujarat becomes first state to establishe cashless system for PDS:
- Gujarat has become the first state in the country for establishing the cashless system in its public distribution system (PDS) of food grains.
- The beneficiaries who are eligible for subsidised food grains under the National Food Security Act (NFSA) will now need to carry only Aadhaar cards for getting their food grains in Gujarat.
- According to the Food ministry, there are over 81 crore beneficiaries under NSAI in the country.
4. World’s first Braille Atlas for visually impaired persons released in New Delhi:
- The Union Minister for Science & Technology and Earth Sciences Dr. Harsh Vardhan released the Special Edition of “Atlas for Visually Impaired (India)” in English Braille in New Delhi.
- This Braille Atlas has been prepared by National Atlas and Thematic Mapping Organisation (NATMO) under Department of S&T.
- It is world’s first braille atlas for the visually impaired persons.
- NATMO is the premier agency of applied Geo-Spatial technology and pioneer in Thematic Mapping and Atlas Cartography under Department of S&T, Union Ministry of Science & Technology.
5. Govt to open 56 Post Office Passport Seva Kendra facilities:
- Enthused by the success of two pilot projects on utilising the head post offices as Passport Seva Kendra, the government has now decided to scale up this programme by opening 56 such facilities across the country.
- The ministry of external affairs and the department of posts had earlier decided to join hands to deliver passport- related services to the citizens.
- MEA and department of posts are working closely for the early commencement of passport-related services at such Kendras located in various states including Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Haryana, Jharkhand and West Bengal.
6. HRD ministry constitute sub-committee of CABE on issues of girl’s education:
- The Union Human Resource Development (HRD) Ministry has constituted a sub-committee of Central Advisory Board of Education (CABE) to look into issues of girl’s education.
- It will be headed by Telangana’s Deputy Chief Minister and Education Minister Kadiyam Srihari.
- It will submit its report to the Union government within one year.
7. Hemant Bhargava appointed as LIC's MD:
- Hemant Bhargava has appointed as Managing Director of state-owned Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) of India.
- He is at present LIC's zonal manager, Delhi.
- The Appointments Committee of Cabinet has approved Bhargava's appointment to the post till his superannuation, ie, July 31, 2019, an order issued by Personnel Ministry said.
- The top LIC management consists of the chairman and three managing directors.
8. BoB to finance small units in diamond sector at concessional rates:
- To give a leg up to micro, small and medium enterprises (MSME) in the diamond industry, Bank of Baroda is planning to launch a supply chain financing product for the industry on a pilot basis in Surat.
- This move is expected to give a boost to MSMEs as well as the corporate segment within the diamond industry, said Rajneesh Sharma, General Manager, Bank of Baroda.
- The product will be launched in the next 10-20 days.
9. Official mascot of FIFA U-17 World Cup 'Kheleao' unveiled:
- The official mascot of FIFA Under-17 World Cup India 2017 'Kheleao' was unveiled at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in New Delhi on 10th February 2017.
- A clouded leopard called Kheleao was introduced to hundreds of football fans in a ceremony attended by Sports Minister Vijay Goel and All India Football Federation President Praful Patel.
- The clouded leopard is an endangered wild cat whose habitat extends from the Himalayan foothills to mainland Southeast Asia.
10. Kohli record for most Test 150s by an Indian captain:
- Virat Kohli recorded his sixth Test 150, against Bangladesh at Hyderabad on 10th February 2017, to set the record for most 150-plus scores by an Indian captain in Tests.
- Kohli went past Sunil Gavaskar and Mohammad Azharuddin, who both have five 150-plus Test scores each as captain. Notably, all of Kohli's last five Test centuries have been of 150+ runs.
11. Cheteshwar Pujara breaks 52-year-old record:
- Cheteshwar Pujara surpassed the 52-year long-standing record of former Indian cricketer Chandu Borde of highest first-class runs in a single cricketing season, on the first day of the Hyderabad Test at Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium against Bangladesh.
- Borde had scored 1604 runs in the 1964-65 season that included runs in Tests as well as first-class matches.
- When Pujara scored his 83rd run, he eventually surpassed Borde’s record by a run and now has 1605 runs in the season with India still to play 4 more Test matches to play against Australia at home.