1. Union Budget 2017-2018:
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley presented the Union Budget 2017-2018 in Lok Sabha on Wednesday.
- This is the fourth budget by the Narendra Modi government. Jaitley said the demonetisation move by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on November 8, 2016 will not have a lasting impact on the economy.
- Jaitley also announced that the budget allocation for welfare of women and children under various ministries will be increased to Rs 1,84,632 crore.
- Merger of Railways Budget with General Budget brings focus on a multi-modal approach for development of railways, highways and inland water transport.
- Railways will focus on passenger safety, capital works and cleanliness, among other issues.
- For More Details & Highlights Click Here:
2. Basant Panchami is being celebrated today:
- Basant Panchami festival is celebrated every year on the fifth day of the month of 'Magha' and marks the beginning of the spring season.
- Basant means spring and Panchami means "the fifth day".
- On this day, Hindus wearing yellow clothes visit temples and pray to Goddess Saraswati (the goddess of knowledge) and celebrate the day as “Saraswati Puja”.
3. Rajasthan and Telangana bag eGov awards:
- Rajasthan and Telangana states emerged Winners of Excellence under the state category while the award of recognition went to Odisha and Nagaland.
- eGov awards instituted by the Computer Society of India’s (CSI) Special Interest Group with sponsorship from Nihilent Technologies.
- The award help recognise the efforts of eGovernance practitioner from across central and state departments, projects and in district administrative units.
4. Railway Ministry Requests Separate Fund for Rashtriya Rail Safety Fund:
- The Ministry of Railway has proposed the Finance Ministry to create a non-lapsable safety fund named ‘Rashtriya Rail Sanraksha Kosh’ over five years with initial corpus of Rs. 20000 crore and contribute a portion to fund it in the Budget 2017 .
- The decision to set up the safety fund is based on the recommendation of a high-level safety review committee under the chairmanship of Dr. Anil Kakodkar, former chairman of Atomic Energy Commission.
5. 31st Surajkund International Crafts Mela to begin today:
- Today, the Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal has inaugurated the 31st Surajkund International Crafts Mela at Faridabad (Haryana).
- 21 countries are participating in the fair, Egypt is the partner nation and Jharkhand is the theme state.
- Around 400 artistes will showcase the art, culture, heritage, handicrafts and cuisine of the state.
- An 18-feet statue of Jharkhand Birsa Munda (freedom fighter) has been erected.
- Mela will remain open for public from 10:30 AM to 08:30 PM till 15th February.
6. Ministry of Defence to Set up Rs 1500 cr Defence Unit in Madhya Pradesh:
- The Union Minister for Panchayati Raj and Rural Development Narendra Singh Tomar has announced that the Ministry of Defence is set to open its Defence at Morena district of Madhya Pradesh.
- The unit would be set up in Kailaras and Sabalgarh tehsil areas and span over 969.735 hectare of land.
- The Madhya Pradesh government already allotted 334.58 hect revenue land for the purpose free of cost.
7. Textile Ministry Inaugurates Meghalaya’s First Ever Apparel and Garment Centre at Ampati:
- Meghalaya’s first ever Apparel and Garment Making Centre was inaugurated on January 30, 2017 jointly by Union Textiles Minister Smriti Zubin Irani and Chief Minister of Meghalaya Dr. Mukul Sangma near Ampati in South West Garo Hills.
- The centre would enable to create job opportunity for both men and women of the region and make them economically empowered.
- The facility has been set up in an area of 45,000 sq feet at an approximate cost of Rs 14.26 crore. It has been set up under North East Region Textiles Promotion Scheme (NERTPS).
8. Income Tax Department (ITD) launches Operation Clean Money:
- Income Tax Department (ITD) lead by Sushil Chandra has launched Operation Clean Money to verify the cash deposited in the banks during November 9th to December 30th 2016.
- An online Verification process will be carried out by comparing the demonetisation data CBDTwith information in ITD databases. This information will be available at the portal https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in.
- The PAN holder can view the information using the link ‘Cash Transactions 2016’ under ‘Compliance’ section of the portal.
9. Ireland became the world’s first country to stop investing in fossil fuels:
- Ireland has become the first country in the world to divest coal, oil and gas investments from Ireland Strategic Investment Fund.
- The bill was passed in the Irish parliament by gaining 53 votes out of 90. It was introduced by Deputy Thomas Pringle.
10. SAARC programming committee meeting begins in Kathmandu:
- Today, two-day programming committee meeting of South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) has begun at Kathmandu (Nepal).
- Senior officials of all eight member countries (Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka) are participating in the meeting.
- Indian delegation leads by Joint Secretary (SAARC) Shri Prashant Agarwal.
- Issues including budget of SAARC secretariat and its 5 regional centres and regular activities of the association will be discussed.
11. UNICEF launches 3.3 bln USD to aid millions of children:
- The United Nation children's agency UNICEF (United Nations Children's Fund) has launched an appeal for 3 billion US Dollar to help 48 million children caught up in crises worldwide amid fears of a funding cut from top donor the United States.
- This year's appeal represents a 18% increase from the initial request for funding in 2016.
- The United States is the top donor to UNICEF, followed by Germany, Britain and the European.
12. Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh Presents 2016 National Entrepreneurship Awards:
- The First ever National Entrepreneurship Awards 2016 was presented by the Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh at Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi on January 30, 2017.
- Shri Rajiv Pratap Rudy, Minister of State (I/C) for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship was the guest of honour on the occasion.
- The National Entrepreneurship Awards was instituted by the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MoSDE) to recognize and honor the entrepreneurial spirit of India’s youth and encourage more and more young Indians to become entrepreneur.
- The awards were given in 11 different categories divided into two groups: Award Track and Recognition Track.
13. Lakshmi Vilas Bank Partners with Fisdom for Mission FINFIT:
- The private sector lender Lakshmi Vilas Bank in partnership with Bangalore based fin-tech startup firm Fisdom, has launched a mobile application Mission FINFIT to offer the customers of the bank financial planning and personal wealth management services based on Robo advisory.
- The mobile app would enable the customer of the bank to plan their finances in an effective manner using the online platform for wealth management thus encouraging them to invest smarter.
14. Former Union Minister E Ahmad passes away:
- Former Union Minister E Ahmad (78-year) has passed away in the wee hours of after suffering from heart attack.
- He took ill in the Central Hall of Parliament during the President's address.
- Ahmad represented the Malappuram Lok Sabha constituency of Kerala.
- Earlier, he served as the Minister of State for External Affairs in the Manmohan Singh.