1. India slips 3 places to 92nd rank on global talent competitiveness Index:
- India has slipped 3 places to 92nd rank on the global index of talent competitiveness that measures how countries grow, attract and retain talent.
- Switzerland topped the overall index, followed by Singapore and the United Kingdom in second and third places respectively.
- India’s ranking is worst among the five BRICS countries.
- While China was ranked at the 54th place, Russian Federation was placed at 56th, followed by South Africa at 67th and Brazil 81st.
2. Union Commerce Ministry launches SEZ India app:
- The Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry (MOCI) has launched a mobile application named “SEZ India” under its broader e-Governance initiative to help the Special Economic Zone (SEZ) Units and Developers.
- It will help the SEZ Units and Developers to find information easily and track their transactions on Online System.
- It will also facilitate them to file all their transactions digitally through SEZ Online system and track the status on the go through the SEZ India mobile app.
- The app has four sections SEZ Information: It consists of compendium of the SEZ Act 2005, MOCI Circulars, SEZ Rules 2006, details of SEZs and Units etc.
3. Prasar Bharti hosts International Television Dance Festival in Hyderabad:
- The first edition of Asia-Pacific Broadcasting Union (ABU) International Television Dance Festival was held in Hyderabad on January 15, 2017.
- The Dance Festival is conceptualized so as to bring the cultural diversities from across the world into the limelight, by breaking cultural barriers.
- Asia- Pacific Broadcasting Union (ABU) was established in 1964 to assist the development of broadcasting in the region.
- Maldives, Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, Uzbekistan, Philippines, Vietnam, Cambodia, Fiji and Indonesia are among the participating countries.
4. China hands over two ships to Pakistan Navy for Gwadar Port security:
- China has handed over two ships to the Pakistan to safeguard the strategic Gwadar port and trade routes under the ambitious China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC).
- These ships have been named as Hingol and Basol, after two rivers near Gwadar.
- They will be part of Pakistan Navy and are equipped with state-of-the-art guns.
- China will also provide two more ships to Pakistan Navy which have been named Zhob and Dasht after two districts in Balochistan.
5. Tamil Nadu Gov launched mobile app ‘pinakin’ for Tourism:
- For the benefit of both domestic and international tourists, Tamil Nadu Tourism Department has launched a mobile app ‘pinakin’ with information on tourism in Tamil Nadu with audio facilities.
- The app, in two languages Tamil and English which covers world heritage tourist sites like Mamallapuram, Thanjavur Big Temple, Gangaikonda Cholapuram and Darasuram.
- The app can be downloaded free of cost from iStore or Playstore.
6. 2016 was India's warmest year:
- 2016 was India's warmest year ever since the documenting of meteorological records began in 1901.
- The information was revelead by the India Meteorological Department (IMD) in its release named ‘statement of climate of India, 2016'.
7. BSF launches operation ‘Sard Hawa’ at Rajasthan border:
- Border Security Force (BSF) launched operation ‘Sard Hawa’ at the western international border of Rajasthan, under which vigil will be beefed-up to check the instances of infiltration due to the dense fog in the area.
- The operation will continue till 28 January 2017.
- The purpose of the operation is to keep a hawk’s eye on the international border, where vigil has been beefed-up and officers have also been asked to be part of the operation to motivate jawans.
8. Expert Group on SECC submits report to Rural Development Ministry:
- The Expert Group set up to prepare Socio Economic and Caste Census (SECC) has submitted its report to the Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD).
- The expert group was headed by former Finance Secretary Sumit Bose.
- The objective of the expert group was to study criteria for allocation of resources to States and identification and prioritization of beneficiaries under various programmes using SECC data.
9. RBI raises ATM withdrawal limit to Rs 10,000 per day from current Rs 4,500 :
- The limit on withdrawals from ATMs has been enhanced from the current limit of Rs.4,500 to Rs.10,000 per day per card (It will be operative within the existing overall weekly limit).
- In a major relief for ATM users, the limits placed on withdrawals and current accounts has been raised with immediate effect.
10. WPI inflation rises to 3.39% in December 2016:
- Breaking a 3-month declining trend, wholesale inflation rose to 3.39% in December 2016.
- The increase was mainly due to a rise in prices of manufactured items, even as food articles turned cheaper.
- Wholesale price index-based inflation had stood at 3.15% in November 2016, and minus 1.06% in December 2015.
- According to Commerce Ministry data, overall wholesale food inflation fell to minus 0.7% in December 2016, from 1.54% in November. But inflation in manufactured articles rose to 3.67% in December, from 3.2% in November.
11. SC allows 24-week pregnant woman to have abortion:
- The Supreme Court has given permission to a woman in her 24th week of pregnancy to undergo termination of pregnancy after medical report finds foetus is without skull.
- The Court says, a woman can abort if foetus poses danger to mother's life.
- The apex court also directed that the termination of pregnancy be performed by a team of doctors of the hospital which shall maintain a complete record of the procedure adopted in the matter.
12. New Adoption Regulations come into force from 16 January 2017:
- The new Adoption Regulations have come into force on 16 January 2017, which have replaced the Adoption Guidelines, 2015, will further strengthen the adoption program in the country by streamlining the process.
- Transparency, early de-institutionalisation of children, informed choice for the parents, ethical practices and strictly defined timelines in the adoption process are the salient aspects of the Adoption Regulations 2017.
13. Sony Pictures enters Hindi film music space with Sony ROX HD:
- Sony Pictures Networks India has entered the Hindi film music space with the launch of Sony ROX HD.
- The channel is geared to be a destination of choice for the contemporary music enthusiast.
- Sony ROX HD showcases the latest Hindi film music in high definition visual format of 1080i resolution that is enhanced by Dolby Audio.
14. Mumbai Marathon 2017:
- 14th edition of Mumbai Marathon was successfully held on Sunday morning.
- Tanzania’s Alphonce Simbu was the Men’s elite champion, as Kenya’s Joshua Kipkorir came second after an intense, neck-to-neck battle.
- Simbu clocked two hours, nine minutes and 32 seconds to clinch the gold medal.
- In the women's category, Kenya's Bornes Kitur won in the elite category with a time of 02:29:02.
15. 62nd Filmfare Awards 2017(Click Here)