1. 14th Pravasi Bhartiya Divas begins in Bengaluru:
- The 14th edition of Pravasi Bhartiya Divas (PBD) has begun in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- The theme of this edition is “Redefining Engagement with the Indian Diaspora”.
- On the first day of three day event, ‘Youth PBD’ was inaugurated as part of the PBD 2017 with an aim to connect with the youth, the new generation of Pravasis growing up all over the world.
- PBD is an annual event organised since 2003 by Ministry of External Affairs to foster greater interaction between the Indian Diaspora and Indian government.
2. All India Conference of Waqf Boards begins:
- The All India Conference of Chairpersons and Chief Executive Officers of States and Union Territories' Waqf Boards has begun in New Delhi.
- The conference will be inaugurated by Minister of State for Minority Affairs Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi.
- Various issues, including review of progress under the schemes relating to grant of financial assistance for computerization of waqf properties, strengthening of waqf boards and development of waqf properties by National Waqf Development Corporation Ltd. will be discussed during the conference.
3. India’s GDP growth expected to be slower at 7.1% in 2016-17: CSO
- According to growth projection released by the Central Statistics Office (CSO), India’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth is expected to grow at a slower pace at 7.1% in 2016-17 as compared to 7.6% in 2015-16.
- This estimate is in sync with the Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI) economic growth forecast and is largely based on data from the first seven months of the year. The slowdown is chiefly due to an industrial slowdown.
4. Telangana to Provide Monetary Help of Rs. 1000 to Single Women in State:
- The Telangana Government led by Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao, announced a new scheme on January 6, 2017, to provide financial assistance of Rs. 1000 per month to poor single women in the state.
- The scheme will be implemented from April 2017 and necessary funds will be allocated in the upcoming budget.
5. Delhi Government unveils Good Samaritan Policy:
- Delhi Government has approved ‘Good Samaritan Policy to encourage people to help road accident victims in emergency situation.
- It was approved by the state cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal in New Delhi.
- This policy will give bystanders incentive to help accident victims and more importantly provide them with legal protection.
- Under this policy, monetary incentive of Rs 2,000 and appreciation certificate will be given to people who help road accident victims in the national capital.
6. Japan to Help in Developing Chennai, Ahmedabad and Varanasi Smart Cities:
- Japan’s Ambassador to India Mr.Kenji Hiramatsu, informed about Japan’s intention to help India with the development of Chennai, Ahmedabad and Varanasi as smart cities.
- The decision was announced by the Mr.Kenji during a meeting with Minister of Urban Development Shri M.Venkaiah Naidu on January 5, 2017.
- Till date many countries have come forward to aid with development of 15 smart cities in India.
7. China successfully launches telecommunication technology test satellite:
- A telecommunication technology test satellite was successfully test fired by China from the Xichang Satellite Launch Centre.
- The satellite was launched late last night by a Long March-3B carrier rocket.
- China mulls to conduct a "record" number of 30 space launch missions this year.
8. 30 Indian-Origin Men & Women Inducted into 2017 Forbes’ Super Achievers List:
- The 2017 edition of the Forbes’ list of super achievers under the age of 30 features about 30 Indian-Origin Innovators, Entrepreneurs and Leaders who made outstanding contribution towards transforming the world.
- The 30 people listed belong to 20 different industries including healthcare, manufacturing, sports and finance.
9. 44th New Delhi World Book Fair begins:
- The 44th edition of the New Delhi World Book Fair began at Pragati Maidan in national capital.
- The theme for this edition of the event is ‘Manushi– Books Written on and by Women’.
- It was inaugurated by Union Minister of State (MoS) for Human Resources Development (Higher Education) Mahendra Nath Pandey.
10. Droom Partners with Axis Bank for quick sanction of loans:
- Online automobile marketplace Droom has tied up with Axis Bank to provide quick sanction of loans on both new as well as used cars.
- Loans will be provided for up to 85% of the value of the car with a tenure of 1-5 years. Furthermore, loans on Used Cars can be availed on vehicles upto the age of 10 years.
11. Forex reserves up $626 million at $360 billion: RBI
- The RBI on Friday said foreign exchange reserves rose by $625.5 million to $360.296 billion in the week to December 30.
- In the previous week, the reserves had declined by $935.2 million to $359.671 billion.
- The reserves had touched $371.99 billion in the week to September 30, 2016.