1. Roger Federer beats Rafael Nadal to win Australian Open 2017:
- Tennis ace Roger Federer today defeated Rafael Nadal to win the Australian Open 2017.
- Federer secured a 6-4, 3-6, 6-1, 3-6, 6-3 victory in in 3hrs, 38mins over Nadal.
- This is his 18th Grand Slam title and fifth Australian Open.
- With this Roger Federer became the second player in tennis history after Novak Djokovic to crossing $100 million (over Rs680 crore) in tournament earnings after winning the Australian Open on Sunday.
2. Sania Mirza-Ivan Dodig lose in Australian Open mix doubles final:
- Unseeded Abigail Spears of America and Colombian Juan Sebastian Cabal defeated India's Sania Mirza and her Croatian partner Ivan Dodig at the Australian Open mixed doubles final today.
- Spears-Cabal secured a 6-2, 6-4 victory over Mirza-Dodig.
3. National Immunization Day observed on 29th January 2017:
- National Immunization Day is being observed on 29th January 2017.
- On this occasion President Pranab Mukherjee has launched Pulse Polio programme 2017 by administering polio drops to children aged below five years at a function in Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- The programme will cover around 17 crore children aged under five years in an effort to maintain the country's polio-free status.
4. Nitin Gadkari inaugurates new Brahmaputra bridge in Assam:
- Union Minister Nitin Gadkari today inaugurated the second bridge on the Brahmaputra at Saraighat, Assam.
- Gadkari also announced a number of new road projects for Assam worth Rs 65,000 crore in the next five years.
- Gadkari released Rs 800 crore from the Central Roads Fund for Assam.
5. Denmark to appoint world’s first ‘digital ambassador’:
- Denmark has announced it will appoint a 'digital ambassador' to manage its relationship with technology giants like Google and Apple, becoming the first country to do so.
- "Such companies have become a type of new nations and we need to confront that," said Denmark's Foreign Minister Anders Samuelsen.
6. Alibaba’s financial arm acquires MoneyGram:
- Alibaba’s financial arm, has reached an agreement to acquire American money-transfer major MoneyGram for $880 million, in a deal that will expand the firm’s business in the US after India and Thailand.
- The transaction will connect MoneyGram’s money transfer network of 2.4 billion bank and mobile accounts and 350,000 physical locations with Ant Financial’s users.
7. Scientists creates world’s first stable semi-synthetic organism:
- Researchers from The Scripps Research Institute (TSRI), US have created world’s first stable semi-synthetic organism, a single-celled bacterium with an expanded genetic code
- The semi-synthetic organism is the modified E.coli bacteria created by introducing DNA molecules that are not found in nature in a common bacterium.
8. Pokemon Go crosses 4.2 million download mark:
- "Pokemon Go" has surpassed 4.2 million download just three days after its official launch in South Korea.
- 4.28 million people used the AR mobile game on Thursday, up from 2.91 million people on Tuesday.
- "Pokemon Go", meanwhile, didn't work in most parts of South Korea.