1. India celebrates 68th Republic day:
- India celebrated its Republic Day on Thursday which also marks the 68th Republic day of the country.
- On January 26, 1950, the Constitution of India came into force, and Republic Day is celebrated to honour that day.
- President Pranab Mukherjee has started the ceremony by hoisting the Indian flag at Rajpath. The parade starts from Rajpath and ends at Red Fort in Delhi.
- Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan was the chief guest for this year.
- The indigenously developed Dhanush artillery gun made its debut at the Republic Day parade.
- A contingent of 179 UAE soldiers took part in the Republic Day parade at Rajpath.
- President Pranab Mukherjee posthumously awarded Ashok Chakra to Havildar Hangpan Dada, who was killed in J&K while fighting terrorists.
- Light Combat Aircraft Tejas made their maiden appearance at the Republic Day parade.
2. Madhya Pradesh CM announces total ban on polythene bags:
- Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has announced a ban on polythene carry bags from May 1, 2017 across the state to conserving the environment and promoting cleanliness.
- Use of polythene carry bags and their littering was affecting environment and cleanliness.
3. India scores 40 out of 100 in Corruption Perception Index for 2016:
- India has been ranked 79th out of 176 nations by the Berlin-based corruption watchdog Transparency International (TI) in its latest Corruption Perception Index (CPI) for the year 2016.
- India's score has improved by two points as in 2015 the country had scored 38.
- Latest rankings put New Zealand and Denmark in joint first place with a score of 90, followed by Finland, Sweden, Switzerland, Norway, Singapore, Netherlands and Canada.
- Somalia was ranked the most corrupt country.
- India, China and Brazil with a score of 40 each figured in the 10 key economies in the mid-range.
4. DU becomes first public varsity with 'monumental' flag:
- Nearly one year after all Central University vice-chancellors decided to install the national flag on their campuses, Delhi University's Hansraj College on 25th January 2017 has hoisted its first monumental flag.
- DU is the first public university in the country to get a monumental flagpole, according to the Flag Foundation of India.
- The 100-feet high flag was hoisted by former MP Naveen Jindal.
5. Gujarat government pardons 439 prisoners on 68th Republic Day eve:
- Gujarat government has ordered released of 439 prisoners on humanitarian grounds on the eve of 68th Republic Day.
- The decision to pardon the remaining sentences of these 439 prisoners were taken by Chief Minister Vijay Rupani.
- This is for the first time that such a large number of prisoners have been pardoned by the state.
6. India, UAE sign 14 agreement:
- India and the UAE (United Arab Emirates) inked 14 agreements in various areas to boost bilateral cooperation between both countries.
- These agreements were signed after delegation level talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and visiting Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi Sheikh Mohammed Bin Zayed Al Nahyan in New Delhi.
- The Agreements are signed in the field of agriculture and Allied sectors Agreement on Oil Storage And Management, programme exchange, Defence Industry, Comprehensive Strategic Partnership etc.
7. Indian techie sells company to Cisco for $3.7 billion:
- Jyoti Bansal has sold his company, AppDynamics, to Cisco for $3.7 billion.
- Bansal now owns 14% of the company, after having diluted his stake to many venture funds over the years.
8. MakeMyTrip launches India's 1st social luxury travel magazine:
- India's largest online travel portal has launched the first ever social luxury travel magazine called 'Luxury Travel Times'.
- The mobile-only magazine is targeted at luxury travellers and is released through innovative ad platforms like Facebook Canvas & Instagram-Stories.
- 'Spa-cation', 'Heaven on Earth' & 'Heritage' were first few themes of the magazine presenting exoMakeMyTriptic choices to explore fine living.
9. Russian Ambassador to India Alexander Kadakin dies:
- The Russian ambassador to India, Alexander Kadakin has been died in Delhi on 26 January.
- Kadakin, 68, was the Russian ambassador to India since 2009.
- In July last year, Kadakin had been awarded the Order of Friendship by Sergey Ivanov, the Russian President's Chief of Staff, for his efforts in strengthening and the bilateral ties between India and Russia.
10. Burj Khalifa lights up in 'Tricolour' to mark 68th Indian Republic Day
- Burj Khalifa tower, the world's tallest building located in Dubai, has lit up in the colours of the Indian National flag on 25th January 2017 and 26th January 2017 to celebrate India's 68th Republic Day.
- The LED shows were to be held on both days along with complimenting Dubai Fountain shows.
- In addition to the shows, the Indian Consulate in Dubai has a flag-hoisting ceremony at the consulate premises by Consul General Anurag Bhushan, followed by flag-hoisting at the Indian High School grounds in Oud Metha, Dubai.
11. US Emmy award-winning actress Mary Tyler Moore has passed away:
- Emmy award-winning US actress Mary Tyler Moore has passed away at the age of 80.
- She was also nominated for the best actress Oscar in 1980 for the film Ordinary People.