1. National Girl Child Day 2017 observed across India:
- The National Girl Child Day was observed across the country on 24 January 2017. On the occasion, the Union Ministry of Women & Child Development threw the light on the exemplary achievements by nation’s daughters during 2016.
- The theme of this year is Safety and Development of girl child.
- The Ministry also applauded the performance of females at the Olympics and Paralympics.
- It also highlighted the historic induction of the first female fighter pilots into the Indian Air Force.
2. Goa First State to Send Postal Ballots Electronically to Service Voters:
- The Chief Election Commissioner(CEC) of India, Syed Nasim Zaidi informed that the state government of Goa has opted for an initiative involving electronic transmission of postal ballot to service voters in the upcoming assembly polls.
- This initiative will make Goa the first state in the country to do so.
3. Union Cabinet approves Varishtha Pension Bima Yojana 2017:
- The Union Cabinet, presided by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi, on 24 January 2017 gave its post-facto approval for launching of Varishtha Pension Bima Yojana 2017 (VPBY 2017).
- The Varishtha Pension Bima Yojana 2017 is a part of Union Government’s commitment for financial inclusion and social security.
- The Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) will implement the VPBY 2017 during the current financial year.
- The scheme aims at providing social security during old age and protecting elderly persons aged 60 years and above against a future fall in their interest income due to uncertain market conditions.
- Under the scheme, LIC will provide a guaranteed return of 8% for 10 years to senior citizens.
4. Delhi airport wins Golden Peacock award for CSR:
- The Delhi International Airport (Private) Limited (DIAL) has won the ‘Golden Peacock Award' for Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) in the transportation sector under the Aviation category for the year 2016.
- Delhi Airport has also been adjudged the world’s number one airport in ACI ASQ survey in 25- 40 Million Passengers Per Annum (MPPA) category for two consecutive years - 2014 and 2015.
5. Tamil Nadu Assembly unanimously passes Jallikattu Bill:
- The special session of Tamil Nadu Assembly has unanimously passed Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Tamil Nadu Amendment), Act, 2017 to lift Supreme Court imposed ban on the traditional sport of Jallikattu.
- The bill will now replace the ordinance promulgated in this regard by the Governor on the recommendation of state government.
- The bill amends section 2 of the Prevention of Cruelty of Animals (PCA) Act, 1960. It defines jallikattu as a traditional sport involving bulls.
- It allows state government to conduct it in notified places on any day from January to May.
6. BCSBI to organise ‘know your rights’ programme:
- To educate awareness on banking codes at grass root level, The Banking Codes and Standards Board of India (BCSBI) will organise know your rights programme in all the states.
- For this, the organisation will adopt a three-fold approach in the awareness programme focussing Tier II cities, metros and other backward areas.
- With the opening up of innumerable Jan-Dhan accounts and increased usage of formal and transparent modes of financial transactions, it is now imperative for the lesser privileged section of the society to understand their rights.
7. T-Hub launches ‘GIS Innovation Hub’ powered by Esri India:
- T-Hub, the start-up engine catalysing innovation, today announced the launch of ‘GIS Innovation Hub’ (GIH) for start-ups.
- The GIH is powered by Esri India, the Geographic Information System (GIS) software and solutions provider.The facility was inaugurated by Jack Dangermond, Co-founder, President and CEO of Esri Inc.
8. India conducts 2nd successful test of Guided Pinaka Rocket:
- The test was conducted from the Integrated Test Range launch pad at Chandipur in Odisha on Tuesday.
- The range of the rocket has increased from 40 to 70 km with an improved accuracy from 500m to 50m.
- The first test flight was conducted on January 12.
9. Japan launches first military communications satellite:
- Japan today launched a satellite to modernise its military communications and reportedly to better monitor North Korean missile launches.
- The Kirameki-2 will enable ground, sea and air units of the military -- known as the Self-Defense Forces -- to communicate directly with each other.
10. Nepal Launches 10-year-plan to Reduce Depending on India for Vegetable Imports:
- In a move to decrease dependence on vegetable imports from India, the Nepal Government has launched a 10-year plan to boost domestic production.
- The 10-year scheme aims to adopt modern farm techniques to boost vegetable productivity in the country and make the country self-reliant in food.
11. Vodafone to invest Rs 3,000 cr in West Bengal in next 3 years:
- Vodafone India signed an MoU with the West Bengal government to invest Rs 3,000 crore for capacity augmentation and new business initiatives over next three years.
- The MoU signed on the sidelines of Bengal Global Business Summit 2017 .
12. Uber To Bring Food Delivery App ‘UberEATS’ In India:
- Transportation app Uber will soon launch its on-demand food delivery app ‘UberEATS’ in the Indian market.
- UberEATS is currently available in 58 cities globally, including Bangkok, Singapore, Tokyo, Hong Kong and Taipei.
- The new app will give consumers, restaurant partners, and delivery partners more options across India.
13. Ola appoints former PepsiCo executive Vishal Kaul as COO:
- Transportation app Ola has appointed former PepsiCo executive Vishal Kaul as its Chief Operating Officer.
- He succeeds Pranay Jivrajka, who has been appointed as Founding Partner. Kaul most recently served as the General Manager of PepsiCo Foods for Thailand, Myanmar and Laos.
14. Stamp Cover on Sindhu, Sakshi and Dipa Released by Postal Department:
- The Indian postal department released a special stamp cover titled Golden girls of India – Pride of Nation on January 21, 2017 during a district-level philatelic exhibition in Agartala to honor the sporting personalities in the country.
- The special covers feature the 2016 Olympic medalist gymnast Dipa Karmakar, shuttler PV Sindu and wrestler Sakshi Malik. They were also awarded the nation’s highest sports award Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna in 2016.
- Besides the three, the cover also depicted the image of Dipa’s coach Bishweshwar Nandi who was awarded the 2016 Dronacharya award.
15. Ex-BCCI president Anurag Thakur to head Himachal Olympic Association:
- Ex-BCCI president Anurag Thakur unanimously elected head of the Himachal Pradesh Olympic Association (HPOA) for a four-year term.
- Anurag Thakur, who had to step down as BCCI President owing to the Supreme Court ruling on Lodha Committee reforms.
16. Virat Becomes Fastest Batsman to Score 1000 Runs as ODI Captain:
- Virat Kohli became the fastest batsman in the world to score 1,000 runs as captain in One-Day Internationals (ODIs) on January 22, 2017 in the third ODI against England at the Eden Gardens.
- The 28-year-old batsman took 17 innings to reach the landmark, breaking the earlier record set by South Africa’s AB deVilliers which was achieved in 18 innings.