1. Committee constituted to set rules for implementation of Disabilities Act, 2016:
- The Union Government has constituted committee (Working Group) to frame uniform rules for the states to avoid delay in proper implementation of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016 across the country.
- The Committee will be headed by Secretary from Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD). It will submit its report within three months.
- The Act was notified in December 2016, after it received assent of President.
- It comprehensively covers a whole spectrum of problems from physical disabilities to mental illness and multiple disabilities under it.
2. Nation pays homage to Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose on his 120th birth anniversary:
- Nation pays homage to Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose on his 120th birth anniversary today (23 january 2017).
- Netaji was born on this day in 1897 in Cuttack, Odisha. A number of functions have been organised in different parts of the country to mark the occasion.
- In Delhi, floral Tributes will be paid to Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in the Central Hall of Parliament.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi paid rich tribute to Netaji.
3. 2017 World Economic Forum (WEF) annual meeting Held in Davos, Switzerland:
- The World Economic Forum Annual Meeting 2017 was held in Davos-Klosters, Switzerland from January 17-20, 2017.
- The theme of 47th World Economic Forum Annual Meeting 2017 is Responsive and Responsible Leadership.
- The inaugural had musical concert by violinist Anne- Sophie Mutter.
- The Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI) was launched at World Economic Forum (WEF) Davos with $460-million funding to develop vaccines against 3 emerging highly-contagious and fatal diseases namely Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS)-coronavirus, Lassa fever, and Nipah virus.
- The annual WEF meeting concluded with a musical performance by Afghan’s first women Orchestra ‘Zohra’ on January 20, 2017 in Davos.
4. Kerala CM inaugurates ‘Jyothirmaya’:
- Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan inaugurated the 4 lakh square feet latest IT building,‘Jyothirmaya’ at the Infopark in Kochi.
- Dedicating the 9-storeyed building, constructed over six acres of land 80,000 job opportunities will be created when the buildings constructed during second phase of development at Infopark become fully operational.
- ‘Jyothirmaya’, constructed as part of the second phase of development at Infopark, will generate 4,000 job opportunities in the field of IT sector.
5. Three-Day Arogya Mitra Conference Begins in Silchar, Assam:
- Assam State Governor Banwarilal Purohit inaugurated the Arogya Mitra conference on January 21, 2017 at Silchar.
- The three day conference has been organised by the south Assam zone of the NGO, Keshab Smarak Sanskriti Surabhi at the campus of Veterinary College, Ghungoor.
- Aim of the Conference to Make available minimum free medical services to the people of isolated and backward places, Make people conscious of their health and Provide special training to the workers, extend social services.
- Aarogya Mitra Seva Kendra have been set up in 701 places to achieve the objective.
- The conference would see participation by over 1000 people from Barak Valley and adjoining areas.
6. ISRO to launch record 103 satellites on a single rocket:
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is planning to set a new world record in space history by launching 103 satellites in one go on a single rocket in the first week of February, 2017.
- These satellites will be launched on board of ISRO’s workhorse PSLV (C37) from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh.
- The mission will carry three satellites from India and rest from other countries.
- The satellites will be separated from vehicle in different directions, once launch vehicle reaches the orbital condition.
7. China Commissions its 31st Stealth Warship:
- In a move to rapidly expand its naval fleet, China’s People’s Liberation Army Navy commissioned its 31st stealth warship with the commissioning of the 31st Type—056 class corvette warship, CNS Ezhou.
- China Commissions its 31st Stealth Warshiphas become the world’s largest fleet of modern corvettes.
8. No More Visa-Free Facility for Indians in Hong Kong:
- Hong Kong has withdrawn the visa-on arrival facility for Indians travelling to Hong Kong effective from January 23, 2017.
- From now, the Indian nationals must apply for and successfully complete pre-arrival registration online before they can visit or transit the HKSAR visa-free.
9. Kwality Ltd Signs MoU with Bank of Baroda for Rs 4000 Cr Loan to Farmers:
- Mumbai based dairy firm Kwality Ltd has signed an MoU with Bank of Baroda to provide Rs. 4000 crore loans to one lakh farmers out of the established networks from whom the company procures milk.
- The MoU aims to provide financial assistance to improve socio-economic lives of farmers and encourage them towards digitisation.
- Kwality has a network of about 3.25 lakh across about 4,500 villages in largest milk producing states of Uttar Pradesh, Haryana and Rajasthan.
- The remaining farmers would be covered in subsequent phases over a period of time.
- The funds will be available at preferential rate and will be utilised mainly for purchasing of milching animals, smartphone and two wheelers.
10. 100% FDI under consideration in food processing sector:
- Minister of State for Food Processing Industries Sadhvi Niranjan Jyoti stated 100% Foreign Direct Investment in food processing sector is being actively considered by the Union Government.
11. TeamIndus proposes nameplate on the Moon for Rs.500:
- A Bengaluru start-up TeamIndus proposes nameplate on the Moon for Rs.500.
- Indians are being offered the opportunity to leave their name on the moon, for a price.
- Space start-up TeamIndus will get the names of public ‘donors’ micro-engraved on a small-sized aluminium object, which will be placed on the lunar surface when its lander descends on the moon.
12. CCI Approves Merging MakeMyTrip with ibibo Group:
- The Competition Commission of India (CCI) approved the proposed merger of online travel firm MakeMyTrip’s Indian travel business with rival Ibibo Group.
- The closing of the transaction is expected to be around January 31, 2017.
13. Urdu poet, lyricist Naqsh Lyallpuri dies at 88:
- Renowned Urdu poet Naqsh Lyallpuri died at his residence on the morning according to his family.
- He was born in Llallpur, Punjab (now in Pakistan) and came to Mumbai in the late 1940s to make a career in Hindi cinema.