1. Digital Dakiya scheme inaugurated in MP to encourage cashless transactions:
- In Madhya Pradesh Indore district witnessed inauguration of first of its kind scheme of the country, Digital Dakiya, which aims to encouraging cashless transactions.
- "Digital Dakiya or Digital Postman will visit different places to teach and encourage people about cashless transactions and its benefits.
- State Finance Minister Jayant Malliya has inaugurated the scheme at Indore. State government will provide Identity cards to the volunteers deployed in this programme.
2. CBDT inks Bilateral Advance Pricing Agreement:
- The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has entered into a Bilateral Advance Pricing Agreement (BAPA) on the with Indian subsidiary of a Japanese trading company.
- Earlier, CBDT also had modified an existing Bilateral APA with another Indian subsidiary of a Japanese company to include rollback provisions.
- Thus, total three BAPAs have been signed by CBDT with Indian subsidiaries of Japanese companies all including rollbacks. With this total number of BAPAs entered into by CBDT is now eight.
- The APA Scheme was introduced in the Income Tax (IT) Act, 1961 in 2012 and the provisions related to rollback were introduced in 2014.
3. Two-day camel festival begins in Bikaner:
- The two-day annual camel festival has begun in Bikaner with much fanfare in the presence of foreigners and domestic tourists.
- District Collector Ved Prakash flagged off a procession from Junagarh which culminated at Karni Singh Stadium here in Bikaner, Rajasthan.
- It was followed by fun activities including camel safaris.
- The festival, dedicated to the ship of the desert, will see camel dance, milking and fur cutting design competitions and camel races.
4. Unemployment in India to increase marginally in 2017-18: ILO
- According to recently released World Employment and Social Outlook for 2017, the number of unemployed people in India is expected to rise by 1 lakh in 2017 and another 2 lakh in 2018.
- The report was released by the International Labour Organisation (ILO) with projections based on econometric modelling carried out in November 2016.
- The report has clubbed India in the category of emerging nations.
- Number of jobless in India will increase from 17.7 million in 2016 to 18 million by 2018 even though the country’s unemployment rate is expected to go down from 3.5% to 3.4% in 2017.
5. 69th Army Day being observed on 15th January 2017:
- 69th Army Day is being observed today (15th January 2017). The day marks the taking over of the Indian Army by the first Indian Commander-in-Chief, Field Marshal KM Cariappa, on January 15, 1948.
- He took over the reins of the Army from Lieutenant General Sir Francis Butcher, the last British Commander-in-Chief and became the first Commander-in-Chief of the independent India.
- The day is celebrated to pay homage and salute to the courageous and brave Indian soldiers who have been sacrificing their lives for protecting the country.
- This day inspires the troops to continue to enrich the glorious traditions of the Indian Army with their dedication and sacrifice. To mark the day, Army Parade will be organised at the Delhi Cantt.
6. SBI Signs $ 50 mn Pact with Oman’s SGRF:
- State Bank of India has signed a pact with the State General Reserve Fund of Oman (SGRF), a Sovereign Wealth Fund to infuse $50 million in private equity fund Oman India Joint Investment Fund (OIJIF) while the SGRF would infuse $150 million.
- The SBI aims at backing the private equity fund for its second offering (Fund II).
- This decision is driven by the performance in the first fund and capital requirement for mid-SBIsize companies in the country. The first fund of $100 million, has been fully invested across seven companies and has returned around 50 per cent of the capital invested.
7. SEBI cuts broker fees by 25 pc to Rs 15 per transaction:
- Securities and Exchange Board of India, SEBI, has decided to lower broker fees by 25 per cent to 15 rupees per transaction of one crore rupees as part of calibration of various other fees collected by the regulator from different market intermediaries.
- The move is likely to reduce overall cost of transactions.
- It also decided to give an option to all market intermediaries and companies to make their regulatory payments in digital mode. The move would help in reducing failures due to payment gateway issues.
8. Rajeev Singh to take charge as interim CEO of Prasar Bharti:
- Rajeev Singh, Member (Finance) in Prasar Bharati Board, will take charge as interim CEO of the public broadcaster after S C Panda retires in February.
- The previous CEO Jawhar Sircar had quit in October last year, a few months before his tenure was due to end, following which Panda, who is Member (Personnel), was made the acting CEO. However, Panda is also due to retire in February.
9. NPCI declares Rs. 54.90 cr prize money for NITI Aayog’s lucky draw schemes:
- National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), the umbrella organisation for all retail payment systems in the country has declared Rs. 54.90 crore worth of prize money to over 3.42 lakh winners of NITI Aayog’s Lucky Draw Schemes for consumers and merchants.
- The two schemes are - Lucky Grahak Yojna (LGY) and Digi-Dhan Vyapar Yojna (DVY). They were launched on December 25, 2016 and will remain open till April 14, 2017.
- The schemes have total outlay of Rs. 340 crore of which - Rs. 300 crores would be spent on consumers and merchants while the remaining Rs. 40 crore on awareness and publicity. Total winners under the scheme are expected to be over 18.75 lakh.
10. Spicejet signs $22-bn deal to buy 205 Boeing aircraft:
- India based Budget carrier SpiceJet and US based aircraft manufacturer Boeing has signed a deal worth $22 billion (Rs 150,000 crore) for the purchase of up to 205 aircraft on SpicejetJanuary 13, 2017.
- This is one of the largest orders ever made in the airline history. The agreement also provided a big boost for Boeing in India.
- The deal includes 100 new 737 Max 8 jets, builds upon an existing order for 55 aircraft.
11. SpaceX resumes flights; launches Falcon 9 vehicle on California coast:
- The American SpaceX rocket company has resumed flights, launching a Falcon 9 vehicle from the Vandenberg Air Force Base on the California coast. It is the first mission by the company since one of its vehicles exploded on the launch pad in September 2016.
- The return to operations sees SpaceX start to renew what was the original global handheld satellite phone network, run by Iridium. Lift-off took place at 9:54 AM local time.
12. Former Punjab Chief Minister Surjit Singh Barnala passes away, aged 91:
- Former Punjab Chief Minister Surjit Singh Barnala, who took over reins of the state in the difficult period when militancy was at its peak in the mid-80s, died in Chandigarh on 14th January 2017 at the age of 91.
- Mr. Barnala, who served as Chief Minister from 1985 to 1987, was admitted to the Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) in Chandigarh from 12th January 2017.
13. 62nd Filmfare Awards 2017(Click Here)