1. PM Narendra Modi launches Pravasi Kaushal Vikas Yojana:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched Pravasi Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PKVY), a skill development program targeted at Indian youth seeking overseas employment to make India the Skill Capital of the World.
- It was launched after inauguration of 14th Pravasi Bhartiya Divas convention at India’s IT hub Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- PKVY will provide training and certify Indians who are seeking overseas employment in selected sectors that have high demand in the global labour market in line with international standards.
- Portuguese Prime Minister Antonio Costa was the Chief Guest of the event.
2. 20th National Conference for e-Governance begins in Visakhapatnam:
- The 20th Edition of the National Conference for e-Governance 2016-17 has begin in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
- The theme for this year is ‘Internet of Things and e-Governance’ and will be covering newly evolving areas of e-Governance across five plenary sessions.
3. Vijayawada to host 1st Digi Dhan Mela in Andhra Pradesh:
- In Andhra Pradesh Vijayawada will be host to the first Digi Dhan Mela in the State.
- Digi Dhan Melas are being organised across the country to promote cashless transactions.
- Union Minister for Urban Development and Information Broadcasting M. Venkaiah Naidu along with Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu will launch the Mela at Indira Gandhi Municipal Stadium, Vijayawada.
4. Aadhaar mandatory for MGNREGS work from April 1:
- The Union Government has made mandatory for workers in rural areas enrolled under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGA) to have an Aadhaar card.
- Those who have registered under the scheme will be required to give furnish proof of possession of Aadhaar card or undergo the enrolment process till March 31, 2017.
5. Piyush Goyal unveiled world's largest street light replacement programme in SDMC:
- Power Minister Piyush Goyal unveiled world's largest street light replacement programme in South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC) area.
- Mr Goyal will also launch a mobile app called Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) Complaint App for SDMC, wherein users can now lodge complaints about faulty street lights.
- AIR Correspondent reports that street Lighting National Programme (SLNP), currently running in the SDMC area is the World’s Largest Street Light Replacement Programme where two lakh LED lights will replace inefficient lamps.
6. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurate Vibrant Gujarat Global Trade Show:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the 8th edition of 'Vibrant Gujarat Global Investors Summit 2017' along with series of other programs.
- The four-day 'Vibrant Summit Summit will be inaugurate at Mahatma Mandir in Gandhinagar.
- Ahead of this Summit, the Prime Minister will inaugurate four different projects after his arrival.
7. 8-year-old Kashmiri boy honoured wins gold in national boxing championship:
- Eight-year-old Abbu Ammaz, won gold medal in the Boxing Championship at national level.
- A class 2 student from Rajouri District, Ammaz was felicitated by the district authorities and the civil administration.
- Locals were too proud of this little boy's achievement and lauded the boxing champ.
8. First student startup fund has Rs 200 crore:
- Gujarat government has come up with India's first student startup and innovation policy, which aims to provide Rs 200 crore in the form of grants to ideas developed by them.
- The policy aims to support over 1,000 innovation per year and create pre-incubation support in all universities of the state.
9. Blind Challenge Car Rally held in Bhopal:
- The 11th annual Blind Challenge Car Rally was organised in Bhopal, to raise awareness about the issues concerning the visually-impaired.
- As part of the rally, drivers are navigated by blind persons tasked with reading the route given to them in Braille.
- The organisers awarded cash prizes to the first three winners and certificates to all the participants.Blind Challenge Car Rally held in Bhopal
10. Indian Army conducts test of indigenous heavy artillery gun Dhanush:
- The Indian Army has successfully conducted ‘user-validation’ trials of indigenous Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System (ATAGS) Dhanush in the Himalayas. It clears the way for the induction in the Army.
- Earlier, proof firing tests of Dhanush’s armament systems were carried out during technical trials in June and September 2016 and some initial integrated firing tests were successfully carried out in December 2016.
- Dhanush 155 MM/52 calibre towed artillery gun is based on the 1980s’ Bofors FH-77B/39 Calibre artillery gun design.
- Its indegenous development is aided by the transfer of technology (ToT) clause signed with the Swedish company.
11. Petrol pumps to continue accepting card payments post Jan 13:
- Oil Minister Dharmendra Pradhan has said that petrol pumps will continue to accept card payments post January 13.
- Decision came a day after the Petrol Pump Associations deferred their decision to not accept credit and debit card payments for fuel sales.
12. McDonald's sells China operations for $2.08 billion:
- McDonald's is selling most of its China business in a deal worth as much as $2.1 billion to state-owned Citic and the Carlyle Group.
- McDonald's owns and operates about 65% of its 2,000 China outlets. Franchising allows it to take a slice of sales while cutting operating costs.
13. SBI Pension Funds appoints Kumar Sharadindu as MD & CEO:
- SBI Pension Funds Pvt Ltd (SBIPFPL), a subsidiary of SBI, has recently appointed Kumar Sharadindu as the MD & CEO of the company.
- Prior to this assignment,Kumar was General Manager at SBI Corporate Centre, Mumbai, heading the private equity business of the bank.
- He has held several crucial assignments in his banking career spanning more than 30 years in the areas of credit, treasury, risk and large corporate lending.
- SBI Pension Funds had assets under management (AUM) of Rs. 46,019 crore
14. Former Iranian President Rafsanjani dies aged 82:
- Former Iranian President Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, 82, passed away on Sunday in a hospital in Tehran after suffering a heart attack, Iranian media reports said.
- Rafsanjani, who served as the country's President from 1989 to 1997, had been heading the Expediency Council, which was trying to resolve disputes between the Iranian parliament and the Guardian Council.
15. Roberto Bautista Agut beats Daniil Medvedev, wins Chennai Open 2017:
- Spaniard Roberto Bautista Agut won the men’s singles title of the Chennai Open 2017.
- Agut beat Russian 20-year-old Daniil Medvedev 6-3 and 6-4 to claim the first ATP tournament of the season.
- It was a competition between the next-gen player in Daniil Medvedev taking on the veteran Roberto Bautista Agut.