1. India, Portugal sign six agreements:
- India and Portugal have signed six memorandum of understandings (MoUs) including in defence cooperation.
- These agreements were signed after delegation level talks Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his visiting Portugal counterpart Antonio Costa who is chief Guest of 2017 Pravasi Bharatiya Divas.
- Six agreements signed are MoU on Defence, Renewable Energy, Marine Research and Resources, Agriculture and Allied Sectors, field of Information Technology and Electronics. and establishment of an ICCR Chair of Indian Studies in University of Lisbon.
2. Gen. Raheel Sharif to head Islamic Military Alliance:
- Pakistan’s former Army chief Gen. Raheel Sharif (retired) was appointed head of Islamic Military Alliance to Fight Terrorism (IMAFT).
- The appointment was confirmed by Pakistan’s Defence Minister Khawaja Muhammad Asif as both the government and the Army allowed Gen. Sharif take charge of the alliance.
- Raheel had retired as the Pakistan army chief in November 2016 and was succeeded by General Qamar Javed Bajwa.
- IMAFT is military coalition comprising 39 nations. It was established by Saudi Arabia in December 2015 and its command centre, headquarters is based in Riyadh.
3. Olympic Champ Rudisha named Mumbai Marathon ambassador:
- Reigning Olympic and World 800m champion David Rudisha was on Saturday named the international event Ambassador of the 14th edition of Mumbai Marathon.
- With USD 384,000 in prize money, the Marathon will witness more than 42,000 runners, professionals and amateurs.
- The marathon will be held on January 15.
4. Novak Djokovic beats Andy Murray to win the Qatar Open:
- Tennis ace Novak Djokovic made defeated world number one Andy Murray at Qatar Open final in Doha on Saturday.
- Djokovic secured a win with set of 6-3 5-7 6-4 against Murray.
5. Sania Mirza wins Brisbane doubles title:
- Sania Mirza and her American partner Bethanie Mattek-Sands defeated 2nd-seeded Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina in the final.
- The Indo-American duo triumphed 6-2, 6-3 against the Russian team.