1. Government launches Swachh Bharat Survekshan 2017 in 500 cities:
- The Union Ministry of Urban Development launched Swachh Survekshan 2017 to rank 500 cities/towns across the country on cleanliness with a population of 1 lakh and above .
- The survey will be conducted by Quality Council of India (QCI) under the Swacch Bharat Abhiyan in a bid to encourage competition to improve sanitation.
- Swachh Survekshan 2017 will judge cities on the basis of data provided by Municipal bodies, data collected through direct observations and independent assessment and citizen feedbacks.
2. EC announces poll dates for UP, Punjab, Manipur, Goa and Uttarakhand:
- The Election Commission today announced the dates for the assembly elections in five states Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Punjab, Manipur and Goa.
- Uttar Pradesh, the biggest state in the country, will go to polls in seven phases for 403 seats on 11th February, 15th February, 19th February, 23rd February, 27th February, 4th March and on 8th March.
3. EC limits cash expense per candidate at Rs 20-28 lakh for Assembly polls:
- The Election Commission of India has issued a limitation for campaign expense per candidate.
- In Goa and Manipur the limit on election expenses per candidate is Rs 20 lakh.
- In Punjab, Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand the election expenses limit per candidate is Rs 28 lakh.
4. Cabinet approves ratifying an agreement between India, Uruguay:
- Cabinet has approved signing and ratifying an agreement between India and Uruguay regarding cooperation and mutual assistance in Customs Matters.
- The Agreement will help in the availability of relevant information for the prevention and investigation of customs offences.
5. Justice JS Khehar sworn in as 44th Chief Justice of India:
- Justice Jagdish Singh Khehar was sworn in as 44th Chief Justice of India (CJI).
- He was administered oath to the office by President Pranab Mukherjee at Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi.
- With this, he became the first person from Sikh communitry to become the CJI. Justice Khehar succeeded Tirath Singh Thakur who retired on 3 January 2017.
- He will remain in office from January 4, 2017 till August 4, 2017 i.e. till he attains the age of 65.
6. Digi Dhan Mela being organised in Meerut:
- In Uttar Pradesh, Digi Dhan Mela is being organised by the central government and the financial institutions in Meerut on 4 January 2017.
- Through such Melas, common people are motivated towards higher usage of digital transactions by offering incentives like Lucky Grahak Yojana for Consumers and Digi-Dhan Vyapar Yojana for Merchants.
7. Government approves new projects under Namami Gange for Haridwar and Varanasi:
- The National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) has approved new projects under Namami Gange programme in Haridwar (Uttarakhand) and Varanasi (Uttar Pradesh).
- In Haridwar, 68 MLD sewage treatment plants (STP) and 14 MLD STP in Sarai was with Central government funding and also under Hybrid Annuity based PPP mode.
- Besides, 50 MLD sewage treatment plant at Ramana in Varana under Hybrid Annuity-based PPP mode was also approved.
8. Finland becomes 1st Country to introduces basic income for unemployed:
- Finland has become the first country in the world to pay a basic income to randomly picked citizens on a national level in an aiming at dismissing poverty, motivate people to join work force and decrease unemployment.
- It is conducted with 2,000 randomly picked unemployed participants between the ages of 25 and 58.
9. Britain's ambassador to EU quits:
- Britain's Ambassador to the European Union, Ivan Rogers, has announced his resignation from his post.
- The resignation comes ahead of the start of the UK's divorce talks with the EU following June's Brexit vote. In the June 2016 referendum, 52 percent voted for Britain leave the EU.
10. J&K AACL announces the Best Book Award-2015:
- The J&K Academy of Art, Culture & Languages has announced the Best Book Award-2015.
- The award in Dogri language (Narinder Bhasin for Char Dishan Char Dham), in Kashmiri (Prof. Ratan Lal Shant), in Urdu (Wali Mohammed Aseer Kishtwari), in Pahari (Mohammed Maqbool Sahil), in Gojri (Choudhary Fazal Mushtaq Kohli).
- The awards will be presented at a special function carrying a cash prize of Rs. 51,000, a citation, a memento and a shawl each in various languages spoken in the State.
11. EPFO launches a campaign to enrol more workers, sets Re 1 fine for late registration:
- Encouraging firms to enrol their workers under schemes run by retirement fund body Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO), a three-month campaign has been launched beginning 1 January 2017 where employers will get amnesty and pay just Re 1 as damages for not registering their employees earlier.
12. Google introduces tools for small businesses in India:
- Google India has created two tools My Business and Digital Unlocked for the small and medium businesses in India,that would help to create an online presence, besides a digital training programme.
- It is an India first tool which introduced this year. Google My Business would help small businesses set up website from their mobile devices.
13. Mithali to lead Indian eves in ICC World Cup qualifiers:
- Mithali Raj will lead the Indian women's cricket team for the ICC World Cup qualifiers to be played from February 3 to 21.
- India lead Group A which also includes Sri Lanka, Ireland, Zimbabwe and Thailand. India will open its campaign against Sri Lanka on February 7.
14. Table tennis Olympic champion Li Xiaoxia announces retirement:
- Table tennis Olympic champion from China Li Xiaoxia has announced her retirement through social media.
- Li helped China win the team gold medal at the Rio Olympic Games last year when she also finished the runner-up in the singles event.
- She is the eighth table tennis Grand Slam winner in history with singles crowns from the 2008 World Cup in Kuala Lumpur, 2012 Olympics in London and 2013 world championships in Paris.