1. Mori village in Andhra gets Smart Digital village tag:
- Mori village under Sakhinetipalli mandal in East Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh placed on India’s digital map by transforming completely into a Smart Digital Village.
- Mori has bagged the Swachh Village award recently at the national level.
2. Madhya Pradesh plans to develop 1,100 ‘climate-smart’ villages:
- Madhya Pradesh has been planning to develop 1,100 ‘climate-smart’ villages in a period of next 6 years to prepare farmers to manage the climate change risks timely and ensure good productivity.
- According to the plan, 100 villages in each of the 11 agro-climatic zones of the state would be taken up under the National Agriculture Development Programme (NADP) and Indian National Mission on Sustainable Agriculture with a cost about Rs 150 crore every year.
3. PM Narendra Modi's Speech On Demonetisation On New Year's Eve: Highlights
1. Two new housing schemes for urban poor.
2. Under PM Awas Yojana, interest relief of 4 per cent for home loan up to 9 lakhs, 3 per cent for up to 12 lakhs will be given.
3. Under PM Awas Yojana, to give poor and middle class homes, two new schemes have been introduced.
4. In 3 months, 3 crore Kisan Credit Cards will be transformed to RuPay credit cards for farmers.
5. 3 per cent interest waiver on loan up to Rs 2 lakh for construction of houses in rural India under PM Awas Yojana.
6. Government to bear 60 days interest on farm loans taken from District Cooperative Central Bank and primary society.
7. Credit guarantee for small traders to be raised to Rs 2 crore.
Kisan Credit Cards to be changed to Rupay cards for ease of use.
8. Rs 6000 assistance will be provided to pregnant women; the assistance money will be transferred to their account.
4. S P Singh takes over as new Chief Secretary of Telangana:
- Senior IAS officer S P Singh has been appointed as the new Chief Secretary of Telangana govt.
- Singh is currently serving as Special Chief Secretary in Panchayati Raj department.
- He takes over the charge of office from K Pradeep Chandra, who retired from service on Saturday.
5. Olympic heroes and entertainers recognised in New Year Honours 2017:
- Andy Murray, Mo Farah and Jessica Ennis-Hill are among the Olympic stars recognised in a New Year Honours list.
- Rio 2016 men's tennis champion Murray and double gold-winning athlete Farah receive knighthoods, while heptathlete Ennis-Hill becomes a dame.
- A host of Paralympians also receive honours, including 11-times gold medallist dressage rider Lee Pearson who receives a knighthood.
6. British-Indian Shankar Balasubramanian receives Knighthood in New Year's Honours List:
- An Indian-origin British professor of chemistry, Shankar Balasubramanian, received a Knighthood from Queen Elizabeth II for his contribution to the field of science and medicine.
- Sir Shankar Balasubramanian is an Indian-born British chemist and Herchel Smith Professor of Medicinal Chemistry in the Department of Chemistry the University of Cambridge.
7. SBI cuts lending rate by 0.9 per cent:
- The country's largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) on Sunday slashed its benchmark lending rate by 0.9% across various maturities.
- Following this cut, home, auto, personal and other loans will become cheaper.
- The new rates are effective from January 1, 2017.
8. Justice Mian Saqib Nisar appointed as Chief Justice of Pak:
- Justice Mian Saqib Nisar has taken oath as the 25th Chief Justice of Pakistan.
- The oath was administered by the country's President Mamnoon Hussain at the President House.
- The event was attended by Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and other dignitaries. Justice Nisar has replaced Justice Anwar Zaheer Jamali who retired after serving as Chief Justice for 15 months.
9. Somdev Devvarman retires from professional tennis:
- Somdev Devvarman announced his retirement from professional tennis on his official Twitter page on Sunday.
- He last played against Sebastian Fanselow at USA F10 Futures, two years ago.
- The 31-year-old’s career was hampered by a recurring shoulder injury in 2012.
- Somdev led the Indian charge in the Davis Cup singles since his debut in 2008, and has played 14 rubbers.
10. 7 Year Old Kush Bhagat Creates History at Asia Youth Chess Championship:
- Mumbai’s Kush Bhagat made history on December 29 after winning three gold medals in the 1st Western Asia Youth Chess Championship held in Al Ain Chess Club, UAE.
- The second standard student of the NSS Hill Spring International achieved the feat in all the three categories, rapid, blitz and standard, and became the only Indian in the world to bag all the crowns in the competition.