1. World’s first gender literature fest to be held in Patna
- The world’s first ‘Gender Literature Festival’ is scheduled to be held in Patna, Bihar in the second week of April, 2017 to create a platform, to exchange ideas, and to share and learn experiences of renowned people in the field of gender literature.
- This festival will be organized by Gender Resource Centre of Bihar’s Women.
2. Minimum monthly pension increased by 9,000 for central govt employees
- The Government of India has increased the minimum monthly pension to 9,000 per person, besides a two-fold hike in exgratia amount for central government employees.
- Minister of State in Prime Minister's Office, Dr. Jitendra Singh stated that the exgratia amount for the employees has been increased from 10 -15 lakh to 25-35 lakh rupees.
- There are about 50-55 lakh pensioners in the country and almost 88% of their accounts have been seeded to Aadhaar.
3. NITI Aayog Estimates the GDP Growth of 8 Percent for 2016-17
- NITI Aayog has projected the India GDP growth rate of 8% for 2016-17 based on the appraisal document for the Twelfth Five-Year Plan.
- The estimate does not take into account the impact of demonetization.
4. Union Government forms committee to look into Haj subsidy issue:
- The Union Ministry of Minority Affairs has decided to set up a six-member committee to look into the Hajj subsidy issue.
- The decision has been taken in light of a 2012 Supreme Court order on gradually reducing and abolishing subsidy given to pilgrims by 2022.
5. Russia to ban cigarette sale to those born after 2015.
- The Russian Health Ministry has unveiled plans to ban the sale of cigarettes to anyone born after 2015 as part of its part of a tough anti-tobacco strategy.
- It will make Russia the first country in the world to completely phase out tobacco.
- The proposed ban will go into effect in 2033, when the present Russian citizens (now babies) and younger reach adulthood i.e. when they turn 18 years old.
- Smoking is already legally banned Russian workplaces, housing block stairwells, buses and commuter trains and within 15 metres of airports and train stations.
6. Japanese PM Shinzo Abe signs 1 trillion yen aid package to the Philippines
- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has signed a 1-trillion yen, about 8.7 billion dollars, aid package over the next five years to the Philippines, meant to improve economic and political relations between the two island nations.
- The package is focused on infrastructure and energy.
- Abe's two-day visit to the archipelago makes him the first foreign leader to visit since the election of the Philippines' President Rodrigo Duterte in May 2016.
7. Europe’s first underwater museum opens in Lanzarote:
- The first and only underwater sculpture museum of Europe, Museo Atlantico, has been inaugurated on January 10, 2017 off the Canary Island coast of Lanzarote.
- The museum has been created at a depth of between 12 and 15 meters on the ocean floor and will be accessible to scuba divers and visible to glass-bottom boats.
8. Manish Tewari appointed senior fellow of US think tank:
- Congress leader and former Union Minister Manish Tewari was appointed as the senior fellow of US-based think tank Atlantic Council on January 11, 2017
- Tewari will focus on programming aimed at strengthening US-India relations.
- He has served as a Member of Parliament from Ludhiana and is currently the national Manish Tewari appointed senior fellow of US think tank spokesperson of the Congress party.
9. Industrial production grows 5.7% in November 2016
- Allaying fears of a slowdown following demonetisation, the country's industrial production grew 5.7% in November 2016, compared to a contraction of 3.4% in November 2015.
- Factory output measured in terms of the Index of Industrial Production, IIP, enhanced in November due to better performance of the manufacturing, electricity, and capital goods sectors.
10. Retail inflation fell 3-year low of 3.41% in Dec from 3.63% in Nov 2016
- Retail inflation fell to a nearly 3-year low of 3.41 % in December 2016, from 3.63 % in November 2016.
- Inflation eased mainly on account of falling prices of vegetables and pulses.
- According to official data, overall food inflation fell to 1.37% in December last year, from 2.11 % in November 2016.
11. Citi Bank India unveils voice biometrics authentication
- Citi Bank India has introduced voice biometrics authentication system for its phone banking clients.
- This will replace the current practice of interactive voice response.
- The technology allows its clients to use their voiceprints for authentication rather than remember multiple PINs or respond to questions used for verifying identities.
12. Mahindra Asset Management launches Mahindra Mutual Fund Dhan Sanchay Yojna scheme
- Mahindra Asset Management Company Pvt. Ltd (MAMCPL) launched an open-ended scheme Mahindra Mutual Fund Dhan Sanchay Yojna scheme to generate long-term returns through investment in equity and debt.
- The scheme will close on January 24, 2017 and will open again for continuous sale and repurchase from February 8, 2017.
- The scheme is for investors who seek to take a calculated exposure in both equity and debt wit a long-term investment outlook.
13. TCS elevates Rajesh Gopinathan as new chief executive
- Tata Consultancy Services has appointed Rajesh Gopinathan, the current chief financial officer, as CEO of the company.
- He replaces N Chandrasekaran, who has been named the chairperson of Tata Sons.
- TCS has also named N Ganapathy Subramaniam, currently President of TCS Financial Solutions, as chief operating officer.
14. Government to sell 51% stake in Pawan Hans
- Moving ahead with the strategic sale of Pawan Hans, the government sell its entire 51% stake and transfer the management control of the helicopter service operator.
- Pawan Hans is a joint venture where state-owned ONGC holds 49%.
- The government has sought applications from entities to act as transaction advisor for the proposed disinvestment of its stake in the company
15. Ashish Shelar appointed as MCA president
- BJP Mumbai unit chief Ashish Shelar has been appointed as the president of Maharashtra Cricket Association (MCA). Sylar takes over from the former ICC president Sharad Pawar.
- He was elected as Vice President of MCA on 17 June 2015.