1. 12th January being observed as National Youth Day:
- National Youth Day is celebrated in India on 12 January on the birthday of social reformer, philosopher and thinker Swami Vivekananda (154th).
- Today, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has addressed National Youth Day function at Rohtak through video conferencing.
- The Union Government had declared to observe the birthday of Swami Vivekananda as a National Youth Day every year from 1985 onwards.
- The theme for this year’s Festival is ‘Youth for Digital India’.
2. Arunachal signs MoU with NDDB to promote dairy development:
- With a view to promoting the dairy sector and rural livelihoods in Arunachal Pradesh, the border state has signed a MoU with National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) during the Vibrant Gujarat Global Summit 2017.
- A State Government delegation led by Shakuntala Gamlin participated in the Summit.
3. Magh Mela begins in Allahabad:
- Today, Magh Mela festival (month-long) has begun at Sangam in Allahabad (Uttar Pradesh).
- Thousands of Pilgrims, saint, and seers are taking a holy dip at Sangam on the occasion of Paush Purnima.
- Kalpwas has also begun, pilgrims stay on the bank Ganga, Yamuna and Saraswati in tents and take early morning bath and take part in other religious duties.
4. 2nd Scorpene class submarine INS Khanderi launched:
- INS Khanderi, the second Scorpene class submarine was launched at the Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL) in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- It is the second of the six submarines being built at MDL in collaboration with France’s DCNS as part of Project 75 of Indian Navy.
- It has been named Khanderi, after the Island fort of Maratha ruler Chhatrapati Shivaji which played had vital role in ensuring their supremacy at sea in late 17th century. Khanderi is also name for Tiger Shark.
5. Guided Pinaka successfully test-fired by DRDO:
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully test-fired the Pinaka Rocket converted to a Guided Pinaka from Launch Complex-III, ITR, Chandipur (Odisha).
- The flight-path Guided Pinaka was tracked and monitored by the radars, electro-optical and telemetry systems at Chandipur.
- Pinaka is transformed version of the Pinaka Rocket Mark-II, which has evolved from Pinaka Mark-I.
- It has been jointly developed by ARDE Pune, DRDL Hyderabad and RCI Hyderabad.
6. Lalu Prasad Yadav to get JP Senani Samman Pension per month:
- Rashtriya Janata Dal chief Lalu Prasad will be now getting a monthly pension of Rs 10,000 under JP Senani Samman Pension Scheme.
- Lalu was jailed under the Maintenance of Internal Security Act (MISA) during JP movement to oppose Emergency.
7. World Bank projects global growth at 2.7% in 2017:
- World Bank projected a global growth of 2.7% in 2017, even as it observed that stagnant global trade, subdued investment and heightened policy uncertainty marked another difficult year for the world economy.
- World Bank President Jim Yong Kim stated that global economic growth is forecast to accelerate moderately to 2.7% in 2017 after a post-crisis low of 2.3% in 2016.
8. Norway becomes first country to cease FM radio broadcasting:
- Norway has become the first country to cease FM radio broadcasting using analog frequencies.
- The main reason behind this technological shift is to offer a better radio service to the whole population.
- The move to “radio digitization” was decided by the Parliament in 2011 and a timetable was announced in 2015.
9. Government to add 40 more towns to Smart Cities list:
- The government will add by next month 40 more cities to the list of towns it wants to develop as Smart Cities by providing funds for initiating urban reforms, Union Minister M Venkaiah Naidu said today.
- The addition of 40 new cities will take the total Smart Cities to 100.
- Since January last year, the government has announced three lists of smart cities which will get Rs 200 crore for improving their infrastructure.
10. India's annual Haj quota increased by 34,500, biggest hike in three decades:
- Today, Saudi Arabia has increased India's annual Haj quota by 34,500.
- Union Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi and Saudi Arabia's Haj and Umrah Minister Dr Mohammad Saleh bin Taher Benten inked an agreement in this regard in Jeddah.
- The latest increase in quota will be effective from the current year.
- Last year, a total of 1,35,903 devotees from India performed Haj.
11. Helped by HDFC Bank, TN temples to go digital:
- Helped by HDFC Bank, five temples in Kanyakumari district in southern Tamil Nadu have introduced digital wallets and PoS to enable their devotees to pay donations.
- The temples that have introduced digital mode include Arulmighu Thanumalaya Swamy Temple: Suchindrum, Arulmighu Bhagavathi Amman Temple: Kanyakumari, Arulmighu Nagaraja Temple: Nagercoil, Arulmighu Bhagavathi Amman Temple: Mondaikadu and Arulmighu Kumaraswamy Temple: Velimalai.
- These temples come under Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowments Department
12. Vikram Pawah new President for BMW Group India:
- Vikram Pawah has been appointed as the president of BMW Group India, effective from March 1, 2017.
- He will take over from Frank Schloeder, who will assume new position at BMW Group headquarters in Germany.
13. Tisca Chopra wins Best Actress Award for Chutney:
- Actress Tisca Chopra named as Best Actress for Chutney at the Jio Filmfare Short Film Awards.
- Popular actress Tisca Chopra stated that winning her first Filmfare Award for short film Chutney is extra special as it’s a project she not just acted in, but also produced and co-wrote.
14. Padmashree awardee K.M. Philip passes away:
- A whole-time Director of MRF Ltd K.M. Philip (104-year) has passed away.
- He was an active member of the YMCA and brought prestige to the organisation as the first Asian to be elected as the President of the World Alliance of YMCAs with its headquarters in Geneva.
15. Sreejesh becomes member of FIH Athletes' Committee:
- The Indian men's hockey team captain PR Sreejesh has become a member of International Hockey Federation (FIH) Athletes' Committee.
- The Committee comprises a total of eight current and former hockey players who have the responsibility to act as a liaison between the FIH and the athletes.
- Earlier, Sreejes led the Indian team to the silver medal feat at the FIH Champions Trophy in London.