1. PM Narendra Modi inaugurates India’s first international exchange at GIFT city:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated India’s first international exchange India INX at the International Financial Service Centre (IFSC) of GIFT (Gujarat International Financial Tech) City Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
- India INX is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE). It will enable Indian firms to compete on equal footing with offshore firms.
- India INX will initially trade in equity derivatives, currency derivatives, commodity derivatives including index and Stocks. Subsequently, it will offer depository receipts and bonds once required infrastructure is ready.
2. Health Ministry to Introduce Measles-Rubella vaccine in its Universal Immunization Programme:
- The Union Ministry of Health & Family Welfare will roll out measles-rubella (MR) vaccine in the Universal Immunisation Programme (UIP) in February 2017.
- In addition, Pneumococcal conjugate (pneumococcal pneumonia) vaccine will also become a part of the UIP basket in three other states from March 2017.
- The MR vaccine will be introduced in five states and Union territories viz. Goa, Karnataka, Lakshadweep, Puducherry and Tamil Nadu.
3. Telangana to host International Kite Festival from January 12:
- The 2nd international kite festival would be held for six days from January 12 in Hyderabad and 2 other districts in Telangana.
- The event expects a footfall of around 50,000 visitors.
- It will have participation from 17 countries with 70 international and 40 national kite flyers.
4. Indian Railways launches IRCTC Rail Connect app:
- The Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launched new passenger mobile application named ‘IRCTC Rail Connect app’ to promote ease of ticketing through digital transactions.
- The new mobile-based application will replace the old existing IRCTC connect app.
- It has been developed for reserved booking and to increase the ease to users.
- It has features like 24/7 service with no time-based checks, synchronisation of mobile app with NGET (Next Generation e-Ticketing) for ticket booking.
5. The USA calls for India, Pakistan & Afghanistan partnership on counter-terrorism:
- The United States has called for a partnership between India, Pakistan, and Afghanistan on counter-terrorism operations.
- State Department Deputy Spokesman Mark Toner told reporters in Washington that the security of the three countries is linked with one another.
6. 4 Indian American scientists selected for presidential awards:
- Outgoing US President Barack Obama has selected four Indian-American scientists among 102 researchers for the Presidential Early Career Awards for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE).
- They are Pankaj Lal from Montclair State University, Kaushik Chowdhury from Northeastern University, Manish Arora from Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai and Aradhna Tripati from University of California, Los Angeles.
7. ISRO and CNES ink pact on satellite launch technology:
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and French Space agency (CNES) have signed a partnership agreement in satellite launch technology.
- The agreement was signed between ISRO Chairman Kiran Kumar and CNES President Jean-Yves Le Gall in the presence of visiting French Minister of Foreign Affairs Jean-Marc Ayrault in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- Space cooperation between France and India spans over 50 years, this partnership will enable France to benefit from the Indian model of streamlining the costs of space programmes.
8. BIS revises Indian Standard on gold hallmarking:
- Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) has revised Indian Standard on gold hallmarking, which is effective from January 1, 2017.
- The hallmarked gold jewelry will now be available in three grades of 14 karat, 18 karats, and 22 karats.
- The cartage will also be marked on jewelry in addition to fineness for a convenience of consumers.
9. Former German president Roman Herzog dies at 82:
- Former German President Roman Herzog, who pioneered remembrance of the Nazi Holocaust, has passed away.
- Herzog served as President under Chancellor Helmut Kohl and later under Gerhard Schröder between 1994 and 1999.
10. Post demonetisation, World Bank drops India's growth rate to 7 %:
- The World Bank has decelerated India's growth for 2016-17 fiscal to 7% from its previous estimate of 7.6%.
- The World Bank stated that immediate withdrawal of a large volume of currency in circulation and subsequent replacement with new notes in India contributed to slowing growth.
- Also, the country would regain momentum in the following years with 7.6 and 7.8% growth. According to the report, India maintains the distinction of being the fastest growing emerging market economies of the world, bypassing China.
11. Akhada : The Authorized Biography of Mahavir Singh Released
- Akhada is the authorized biography of Mahavir Singh Phogat, a former wrestler and a coach.
- The book is written by sports journalist Sourabh Duggal and was released on 21 December 2016 at the Chandigarh Press Club.
- This book tells the story of a man of tremendous fortitude, of a father who fought against all odds to give his daughters Olympians Geeta Phogat and Babita Kumari.
12. Yana Kudryavtseva, 13-time gymnastics world champion, retires aged 19:
- Russian rhythmic gymnast Yana Kudryavtseva has retired from competition aged just 19 following a brief but dazzling career.
- Kudryavtseva won 13 world championships from 2013 to 2015, making her the early favorite for the all-around gold medal at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics, but a foot fracture disrupted her preparations.
- She had to settle for silver in Rio behind fellow Russian and friend Margarita Mamun following a rare mistake on her club routine.
13. World Cup: FIFA to expand the competition to 48 teams:
- The Federation Internationale de Football Association FIFA has decided that the World Cup will be expanded to host 48 teams, up from 32.
- An initial stage of 16 groups of three teams will precede a knockout stage for the remaining 32 when the change is made for the 2026 tournament.
- The sport's world governing body voted unanimously in favor of the change at a meeting in Zurich.
14. India’s Shreyas Wins Scottish Junior Open title:
- Mumbai youngster, Shreyas Mehta, won the Scottish Junior Open Squash championship at Edinburgh on January 9, 2017.
- The Indian U-13 top squash player Shreyas Mehta defeated Colombia’s Juan Jose Torres Lara 9/12. Earlier he has won US Junior open.