1. Cristiano Ronaldo named the FIFA best player for 2016:
- Portuguese footballer Cristiano Ronaldo was named the world’s best player for the year 2016 at the inaugural Best FIFA Football Awards held in Zurich, Switzerland.
- Other 2016 FIFA awardees are:
FIFA Fair Play Award: Atletico Nacional.
Best FIFA Women’s Player: Carli Lloydll (US).
Best FIFA Men’s Coach: Claudio Ranieri (Italy).
Best FIFA Women’s Coach: Silvia Neid (Germany).
FIFA Puskas Award: Mohd Faiz Subri (Malaysia).
FIFA Award for an Outstanding Career: Falcao (Brazil).
FIFA Fan Award: Borussia Dortmund and Liverpool supporters.
2. 11th World Hindi Day:10 January
- The World Hindi Day is observed annually on 10 January.
- The number of Hindi literates across the globe is reportedly rising at a high pace.
- The World Hindi Day was first observed on 10 January 2006. It is in addition to present National Hindi Divas which is being observed annually on 14 September.
3. PM Modi inaugurates Nobel Prize Series India Exhibition in Gandhinagar:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Nobel Prize Series Exhibition in Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
- It is the first-of-its-kind conclave of Nobel laureates to be held in India.
- It has been organised by Nobel Media and coordinated by the Department of Biotechnology. Nine Nobel laureates are attending it and interact with students of Indian Universities.
- The Nobel Prize Series 2017 will feature a five week long Science Exhibition.
4. PM Narendra Modi inaugurated the 8th Vibrant Gujarat Global Investors Summit 2017:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the 8th Vibrant Gujarat Global Investors Summit 2017 at Mahatma Mandir in Gandhinagar.
- This year's biennial flagship event of the state is hosting Prime Ministers, Presidents, Deputy Prime Ministers and ministers of several countries apart from CEOs of Fortune 500 companies
5. Maharashtra govt launches India's largest WiFi service:
- Maharashtra government has launched India’s largest public WiFi service called 'MumbaiWifi'.
- The facility, inaugurated by Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis in Mumbai and initially provide 500 Wifi hotspots across various locations like Vidhan Bhawan, Kalanagar in Bandra, Bombay High Court, and Mumbai Police Commissioner’s office.
6. Pakistan test-fires first nuclear-capable submarine cruise missile Babur-3:
- Pakistan successfully test-fired its first Submarine-Launched Cruise Missile (SLCM) Babur-3 capable of carrying a nuclear warhead.
- The Babur-3 missile was fired from an underwater mobile platform from an undisclosed location in the Indian Ocean and hit its target with precise accuracy.
- SLCM Babur-3 is a sea-based variant of Ground Launched Cruise Missile (GLCM) Babur-2.
- It has been named after the first Mughal Emperor Zahir-ud-Din Babur. It has a range of 450km.
7. China launches first commercial space mission with new Kuaizhou-1A rocket:
- China successfully launched first commercial mission using an updated version of the low-cost Kuaizhou-1A rocket.
- As part of the mission three satellites JL-1, CubeSats XY-S1 and Caton-1 were launched into space.
- The rocket was launched form northwestern China’s Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in Gansu province.
8. Flipkart replaces Binny Bansal with Kalyan Krishnamurthy as CEO:
- Flipkart has elevated former Tiger Global Management executive Kalyan Krishnamurthy as the new chief executive replacing co-founder Binny Bansal.
- Binny has been redesignated as the group chief executive while co-founder Sachin Bansal continues to be executive chairman.
- Krishnamurthy had joined Flipkart in June 2016.
9. Haryana to set up 'Prarambh School for Teachers Education' in Jhajjar:
- In Haryana, the State level Prarambh School for Teachers Education would be set up at village Silani in district Jhajjar over an area of 10 acres.
- Haryana Chief Minister, Mr. Manohar Lal who presided over the first meeting of the Governing Body of Prarambh School for Teachers Education, at Chandigarh stated that it would have all basic facilities.
10. Sex ratio in Haryana touches 900-mark for first time in 20 years:
- The child sex ratio at birth (SRB) in Haryana for the first time has touched 900-mark in two decades.
- SRB in December 2016 in Haryana was 914.
- Reasons for increase in SRB in Haryana In 2011, India’s child sex ratio stood at 914 girls to 1000 boys, the lowest since Independence and Haryana had a child sex ratio 834 girls to 1000 boys, far worse than the national average.
11. Digi Dhan Mela organizes in Chandigarh begins:
- A Digi Dhan Mela has been organized in Chandigarh to promote digital transactions.
- AIR correspondent reports that in this unique meal, many visitors including housewives, students and shopkeepers are getting training in the Digital Pathshala where experts of financial institutions are explaining everything through demonstrations.
12. Amitabh Bachchan Awarded by US Embassy for TB Awareness:
- The Bollywood Actor Amitabh Bachchan was honoured by the US Embassy on January 8, 2017 for his immense contribution to the India-US partnership on tuberculosis (TB).
- The award was presented by US Ambassador to India Richard R Verma to the 74-year-old actor, who himself was diagnosed TB in 2000.
- The US and Indian government has been working for over 20 years on tuberculosis.
13. Gionee signs up Virat Kohli as brand ambassador:
- Smartphone brand Gionee has named Virat Kohli, as its new brand ambassador.
- Earlier Gionee had roped in actor Alia Bhatt as its brand ambassador. Kohli will be joining her in helping the brand to amplify its presence in India.
14. Golden Globe Award 2017 Winners List (Click Here)