1. India ranks 8th in 2016 Global Terrorism Index:
- According to the 2016 Global Terrorism Index (GTI) India was ranked 7th among 163 countries in the list of most impacted by terrorism in 2015.
- The fourth edition of the index was released by Sydney-based think-tank Institute for Economics & Peace.
- India is one of six Asian countries ranked in the top 10 nations most impacted by terrorism.
- Global facts in 2016 GTI According to GTI 2016, Iraq was the worst hit by terror in 2015 followed by Afghanistan, Nigeria and Pakistan
2. International Anti-Corruption Day 2016 observed across the world:
- The International Anti-Corruption Day 2016 was observed across the world on 9 December 2016.
- Theme for this year is United against corruption for development, peace and security.
- The day was observed to raise public awareness about corruption and what people can do to fight it.
3. Kerala Government launches Haritha Keralam Mission:
- Kerala Government has launched Haritha Keralam Mission, a comprehensive programme for creating new sustainable development perspectives in the state.
- It was launched by Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan in the state capital Thiruvananthapuram.
- The Haritha Keralam Mission is multidimensional development project focuses on water conservation, sanitation, environmental protection, and paddy cultivation.
4. FSSAI bans use of newspapers for packing food:
- The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has banned use of newspapers for wrapping and packing of food items.
- FSSAI has issued an advisory all states and Union territories and asked commissioners of food safety to restrict the use of newspapers for packing, serving and storing of food items.
- This is first time in recent years FSSAI has issued new rule related to packaging of food items. So far, it had focused on setting standards for packaged food.
5. India designated as major US defence partner:
- India has been designated as a major defence partner of the United States. It puts India on a par with the closest allies and partners of the US.
- The agreement in this regard was reached between Union Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar and US Secretary of Defence Ashton Carter in New Delhi.
- It was one of the last visits from a cabinet member of the outgoing Obama administration.
6. Pakistan Lifts Undeclared Ban on Import of Ginned Cotton from India:
- Pakistan has removed an undeclared ban on import of ginned cotton from India.
- Earlier from November 23, The Department of Plant Protection (DPP) of the Ministry of National Food Security and Research had banned the cotton imports from India through Wagah and Karachi port as the shipments did not fulfil phyto- sanitary conditions.
7. Nana Akufo-Addo wins Ghana presidential election:
- Ghana's main opposition leader Nana Akufo-Addo has won the country's presidential election with an absolute majority.
- Private radio stations have projected a massive victory for Nana Akufo-Addo over President John Mahama.
8. Harry Potter tops Amazon's best-selling books of 2016:
- Amazon has announced Harry Potter and the Cursed Child as the best-selling book of 2016.
- The playscript by JK Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, was also named this year's 'Most Wished For' and 'Most Gifted' book.
9. IDFC Bank appoints Veena Mankar as Non-Executive Chairperson:
- The board of directors of IDFC Bank has approved the appointment of Veena Mankar as Non-Executive Chairperson, with effect from December 9, 2016, up to July 26, 2018.
- The appointment is subject to approval by the Reserve Bank of India.
- Anil Baijal stepped down from the board on December 8, 2016 at the end of his tenure from the shaft of Non-Executive Chairman. IDFC Bank Ltd.
10. Triple talaq unconstitutional, violates rights of Muslim women: Allahabad high court
- The Allahabad High Court has ruled that the practice of triple talaq (Talaq-e-bidat) among Muslims is unconstitutional and violates the rights of women enshrined in constitution.
- The order was passed by HC Justice Suneet Kumar while hearing a petition filed by a woman who claimed her husband arbitrarily divorced her.
11. John Glenn, first American in orbit, dies at 95:
- Former NASA astronaut and Democratic US Senator from Ohio , John Glenn, has passed away at the age of 95.
- On February 20, 1962 Glenn flew the NASA mission Friendship 7, becoming the first American to orbit the Earth.
12. 18-year-old Mumbaikar Jehan Daruvala signs for Formula 3:
- Young Indian racer Jehan Daruvala has been signed by Formula 3's top team Carlin for the 2017 FIA F3 European Championship.
- The 18-year-old started his racing career in karting in 2009 and won his first national title in 2010 aged 11.