1. Trump named as Time magazine's person of the year:
- The TIME magazine has named US President-elect Donald Trump as Person of the Year 2016 and called him the President of the 'Divided States of America'.
- Trump had won the presidential elections, despite losing the popular vote by a record 26 lakh votes.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi was among the 11 candidates shortlisted by Time for its annual honour.
- Meanwhile, Modi won the online readers' poll conducted by Time magazine for Person of the Year 2016, the second time he emerged winner of the reader's choice poll.
2. Serendipity Arts Festival to be held in Goa:
- The Serendipity Arts Festival (SAF) is scheduled to be held from 16 December to 23 December 2016 in Goa.
- The festival will see a stellar line-up of 33 global artists, who will display their work at the eight-day inspiration-packed festival.
- More than 40 exciting projects and exhibitions featuring famous artists, like Kabi Raj Lama, Bandu Manamperi, Escif, Billy Chang, SP Pushpakanthan, Lisa Stertz and Paquito Gonzalees, will be a part of the festival.
3. Justice Mian Saqib Nisar appointed next Chief Justice of Pakistan:
- Justice Nisar will take charge as chief justice of the apex court on December 31, reports the Express Tribune.
- Justice Nisar will replace Justice Anwar Zaheer Jamali, who is set to retire on December 30.
4. Union Cabinet approves MoU between India and Vietnam on Cooperation in IT:
- The Union Cabinet has approved Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Vietnam on Cooperation in the field of Information Technology.
- The MoU aims to develop sustainable and a long-term cooperation between both countries on the basis of equality and mutual interest in the areas of IT.
5. Cabinet approves Indo-Thai agreement on narcotics control:
- The Union Cabinet has approved agreement between India and Thailand in controlling narcotic drugs, psychotropic substances, their precursors and chemicals and drug abuse.
- "The MoU is an effective framework to deal with all issues requiring mutual assistance and cooperation in the above areas," said a cabinet communique following the meeting.
- The MoU, once in force, would help in curbing transnational narcotics trafficking,"
6. Union Cabinet approves MoU between India and Afghanistan on Cooperation in the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space:
- The Union Cabinet has approved Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Afghanistan on cooperation in the peaceful uses of outer space.
- The MoU envisages cooperation between both countries for application of space technologies in various sectors.
- It will cover agriculture, education, weather forecasting, rural health, telecommunications, urban development, sanitation, resource mapping navigation, remote sensing and any other areas mutually agreed upon.
7. Union Cabinet approves MoU between India and UK to support Ease of Doing Business in India:
- The Union Cabinet has given its approval to Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and United Kingdom (UK) to support Ease of Doing Business in India.
- The MoU was signed between both countries earlier in November 2016 during the official state visit of UK Prime Minister Theresa May to India.
- The MoU will facilitate exchange Government officials from both countries to facilitate sharing of best practises, technical assistance and enhanced implementation of reforms.
8. Nabard to provide Rs. 120 cr to banks for setting up PoS devices in villages:
- The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (Nabard) on 08 December said it will extend support aggregating about Rs. 120 crore to banks for deployment of two Point-of-Sale (PoS) devices per village in one lakh villages having a population of up to 10,000.
- The move is aimed at taking rural India closer towards cashless payment systems.
9. Mobile banking service SIMsePAY launched in Arunachal Pradesh:
- Arunachal Pradesh State Co-operative Apex Bank on 7 December 2016 launched Mobile Banking Service named SIMsePaY.
- The service was launched in collaboration with the Yes Bank Ltd.
- The SIMsePaY service was launched by the State Industries and Cooperation Minister Tamiya Taga is aimed at helping bank customers’ in their cash crunch problem.
- The SIMsePAY mobile service operates on simple phone handset on SMS without the internet.
10. Google parent Alphabet named company of the year by Fortune:
- Google parent Company Alphabet has been named the company of the year by Fortune magazine in its annual Blue Ribbon ranking.
- The list recognises the "best of the best" organisations that have appeared on four or more Fortune lists in 2016 like Fortune 500 and Most Admired Companies.
- Nike and Apple rank third and seventh on the Blue Ribbon list respectively.
11. Microsoft launches solutions for SMEs:
- Microsoft has introduced business solutions from its partner ecosystem to meet the business needs of small and medium businesses across Kerala.
- Built by Microsoft’s ISV partners Smarter SMB and IDOS, these solutions address key areas like Customer Relationship Management (CRM) and Finance & Accounting and enhancing organisational efficiency.
- These solutions will run on Microsoft cloud and will be available at very low cost.
12. Karnataka Bank gets award:
- Karnataka Bank Ltd has bagged the ‘Best MSME Bank Award (private sector) 2016’ instituted by Assocham.
- Union Minister of State for MSME Haribhai Parathibhai Chaudhary handed over the award at a function in New Delhi on December 6.