1. International Volunteer Day: 5 December
- The International Volunteer Day (IVD) is observed across the world on 5th December every year,designated by the United Nations since 1985.
- This year's theme recognises the volunteers worldwide and their efforts in making peace and sustainable development a reality.
- This year theme is "Global Applause - give volunteers a hand".
2. World Soil Day: 5 December
- The World Soil Day is observed on 5 December annually.
- The this year theme is "Soils and pulses, a symbiosis for life".
- The theme for the 2016 WSD focuses on the positive contributions of pulses to soil properties, such as fixing the atmosphere nitrogen and improving its biodiversity, fertility and structure.
3. PM Narendra Modi wins online reader’s poll for TIME Person of the Year:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi (18% vote) has won the online reader's poll for TIME magazine's Person of the Year 2016.
- Mr Modi far ahead of other prominent figures like, Obama, Trump and Wikileaks Founder Julian Assange (7% each) Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg (2%) and US Presidential nominee Hillary Clinton (4%).
- Earlier, Modi has won the online readers' poll for Time Person of the Year title in 2014 when he had got more than 16% of the almost five million votes cast.
4. Stanpan Suraksha app launched to promote breastfeeding:
- The Union Tribal Affairs Minister Jual Oram launched ‘Stanpan Suraksha’ mobile application to promote breastfeeding and keep a tab on 'inappropriate' promotion of baby food items.
- The mobile application has been developed by the Breastfeeding Promotion Network of India (BPNI).
5. NITI Aayog to provide Rs 5 lakh per district to encourage digital payment system:
- NITI Aayog will be immediately transferring 5 lakh rupees for every district in the country as seed money to kick start to encourage digital payment system.
- For availing the incentive, the district collector, commissioner or magistrates would have to ensure that individuals transiting to digital payment mode should do at least two successful transactions by any of the five methods.
- These five modes are :
- unified payment interface (UPI
- Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (USSD)
- Aadhaar Enabled Payments
- e-wallets and
- Rupay debit/credit/prepaid cards
- Top ten best performing districts of India will be awarded the Digital Payment Champions of India Award by NITI Aayog.
- Fifty Panchayats which go cashless will be awarded Digital Payment Award.
6. Italy PM Renzi to resign after Referendum loss:
- Italy's Prime Minister Matteo Renzi has announced to step down after losing a referendum on constitutional reform.
- He will hand over his resignation to President after the final meeting of his cabinet.
- Interior Ministry projections suggested the No camp, led by the populist Five Star Movement, has won the referendum with the backing of 59.5 % of those who voted.
7. New Zealand PM announces his resignation:
- Today, New Zealand Prime Minister John Key has announced his resignation.
- He will stay in parliament long enough to avoid a by-election for his seat.
- Recently Key has marked his eighth anniversary as prime minister and 10th year as leader of the centre-right National Party.
8. Airtel appoints Sunil Taldar as CEO and Director for DTH business:
- Bharti Airtel Limited announced the appointment of Sunil Taldar as the Chief Executive Officer and Director for its DTH business.
- Taldar will take over from Shashi Arora who moved as Managing Director and CEO of Airtel Payments Bank.
- Taldar will be a member of the Airtel Management Board and will report to Gopal Vittal, Chief Executive Officer at Bharti Airtel (India and South Asia).
9. Amazon launches global startup program 'Launchpad' in India:
- E-commerce major Amazon has launched its global startup program 'Launchpad' in India.
- An online portal featuring over 400 products from different startups including 25 Indian startups.
- The program will also help Indian startups to sell their products overseas. First started in 2015, Amazon Launchpad is now available in seven regions.
10. Flipkart's Binny Bansal, Sachin Bansal named Asians of the Year:
- Flipkart founders Sachin Bansal and Binny Bansal have been jointly named "Asian of the Year 2016" by Singapore-based newspaper The Straits Times.
- The "Asian of the Year 2016" award recognises entrepreneurs operating at the frontiers of technology's interface with business.
11. Govt allocates Rs 100 Cr to celebrate 350th birth anniversary of Guru Govind Singh:
- The union govt. has allocated an initial sum of one hundred crore rupees for celebrating the 350th birth anniversary of Guru Govind Singh.
- According to Culture Minister Mahesh Sharma this has been done to commemorate the great Sikh Guru’s work in the uplift of humanity.
12. Internet population in India to touch 600 mn by 2020:
- India internet user is expected to almost double to 600 million users by 2020 from approximately 343 million users currently according to an The Associate Chambers of Commerce of India (ASSOCHAM)- Deloitte joint study.
- With increased 4G and 3G penetration, the Internet user base in India is rapidly expanding and has reached a penetration of over 27 % versus 50.3 % penetration in China.
13. Mukesh Kumar makes history in Golf Asia Tour:
- Indian Golfer Mukesh Kumar became the oldest golfer to win an Asian Tour title on December 4, 2016 at Delhi Golf Club (DGC) after winning the Panasonic Open India.
- The 51-year-old Mukesh, who has won 123 PGTI titles, scored two-under 70 in the final round which made his total to 10-under 206 to claim the trophy.