1. International Day of Persons with Disabilities being observed today:
- The International Day of Persons with Disabilities (IDPD) 2016 was observed across the world on 3 December 2016.
- It is an international observance promoted by the United Nations (UN) since 1992.
- It also seeks to increase awareness of gains to be derived from the integration of persons with disabilities in every aspect of political, social, economic and cultural life.
- The theme for this year is “Achieving 17 Goals for the Future We Want”.
2. Hornbill Festival begins in Nagaland:
- The Hornbill Festival began in the Naga Heritage village of Kisama.
- The festival coincides with the Statehood Day of Nagaland which is observed on December 1.
- It is tourism promotional extravaganza to revive, protect and preserve the richness and uniqueness of the Naga heritage.
- It is also called as the ‘Festival of Festivals‘.
3.Delhi Airport world's 22nd most connected:
- The Indira Gandhi International Airport in New Delhi is the 22nd most connected airport in the world, according to air travel intelligence company OAG.
- Mumbai Airport has been ranked 28th, while OAG's 2016 Megahubs Index has been topped by Chicago Airport in the United States, Meanwhile, the Atlanta and Dallas Airports, also in the US, have ranked second and third.
4. 32nd anniversary of Bhopal gas tragedy being observed:
- Today, Bhopal is observing 32nd anniversary of gas leak tragedy as on the intervening night of 2nd and 3rd December in 1984.
- Several hundred people were killed and scores of people were maimed for life when the Methyl Isocyanate gas was leaked from the pesticide plant of Union Carbide.
5. Ruchi Soya to provide banking assistance to farmers:
- Edible oil firm Ruchi Soya Industries in association with State Bank of India (SBI) launched an initiative to provide banking assistance to farmers.
- Under the initiative ‘Kisan Kalyan Ayojan’, the company will help farmers to open bank accounts, procure the produce directly from farmers at the right price and ensure farmers get their payment immediately through internet banking.
6. UAE-based Indian girl wins Intl Children's Peace Prize:
- Indian environmental activist based in the UAE Kehkashan Basu (16-year) has won 2016 prestigious International Children's Peace Prize for her fight for climate justice and combating environmental degradation.
- He was presented the award by Bangladesh's Nobel peace laureate Mohammad Yunus (2016) in The Hague.
7. Thailand officially named its new King:
- Thailand named its crown prince Maha Vajiralongkorn as its new king on 1 December 2016, 50 days after the passing of King Bhumibol Adulyadei.
- The Prince became Rama X, the 10th king of the Thailand’s Chakri dynasty. The dynasty was established in 1782.
8. Dhasai becomes first cashless village in Maharashtra:
- 'Dhasai' village (Murbad taluka) in Thane district has become the first "cashless village" in Maharashtra.
- Now, All payments in the Dhasai village are being done through plastic money.
- The initiative to make this village cashless was taken by Bank of Baroda (BOB) in collaboration with NGO "Veer Savarkar Pratishthan".
9. Kolkata gets best cities award for tackling climate change:
- Kolkata, along with 10 other cities from across the globe, has been honoured with the best cities of 2016 award in recognition of its programme on solid waste management.
- Kolkata, the only Indian city to win the honour, received the award during the C40 Mayors Summit held in Mexico. Other cities which won the award include Copenhagen, Sydney, and Paris.
10. Bekal Utsahi Poet and former MP passes away:
- Veteran poet and former Rajya Sabha MP Bekal Utsahi (88-year) passed away due to brain haemorrhage in Delhi.
- Utsahi was awarded the Padmashree in 1976 for his contribution to literature.
- He was also honoured with Yash Bharti by the UP government.
11. LeBron named Sports Ilustrated's Sportsperson of the Year:
- Basketball player LeBron James has been chosen as the Sports Illustrated's Sportsperson of the Year, becoming the second athlete ever to win the award twice.
- James had led his team Cleveland Cavaliers to the 2016 NBA title and was named NBA Finals Most Valuable Player (MVP).