1. General Bipin Rawat takes over as new Chief of Army Staff:
- Lt General Bipin Rawat has took charge as the new Army Chief replacing General Dalbir Singh Suhag. Lt Gen Rawat was the Vice Chief of Army Staff.
- He superseded two senior most Lt Generals, Praveen Bakshi and PM Hariz as the 26th Army Chief of India.
- Air Marshal Birender Singh Dhanoa also took charge as the next Air Force Chief replacing Anup Raha.
2. India and Singapore ink 3rd Protocol for amending DTAA:
- India and Singapore have signed a Third Protocol to amend DTAA (Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement) for the avoidance of double taxation and prevention of fiscal evasion with respect to taxes on income.
- It was signed in line with India’s treaty policy to prevent double non-taxation, curb revenue loss and check the menace of black money through automatic exchange of information.
- The Third Protocol amends DTAA to provide for source based taxation of capital gains arising on transfer of shares in a company. It will come into effect from April 1, 2017.
3. Anil Baijal takes oath as Lieutenant Governor of Delhi:
- Former union home secretary Anil Baijal took oath as the Lieutenant Governor of Delhi at Raj Niwas today.
- President Pranab Mukherjee approved Baijal's name as the next Lieutenant Governor of the National Capital Territory after Najeeb Jung's resignation.
4. 20th fast patrol vessel delivered to Coast Guard:
- The Cochin Shipyard delivered ICGS AYUSH, the 20th Fast Patrol Vessel, to the Indian Coast Guard.
- With this, it has completed construction of 20 Fast Patrol Vessel series for the Coast Guard.
- ICGS Ayush will be operated from the Coast Guard Station at Krishnapatanam During the current financial year.
5. Romania's president appoints Sorin Grindeanu as PM:
- Romania's president Klaus Iohannis on 31st December 2016 appointed Sorin Grindeanu as the country's new prime minister.
- Grindeanu was proposed for the position by a government coalition comprising election winners Social Democrat Party (PSD) and junior partner Liberal-Democrat Alliance (ALDE).
6. V K Sasikala takes charge as AIADMK General Secretary:
- In Tamil Nadu, V K Sasikala has taken charge as All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) general secretary.
- She is the sixth person and the second woman to hold the post.
- Sasikala Natarajan is a close confidante of Jayalalithaa, the late Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu.
7. Cash withdrawal limit from ATMs increased to Rs 4,500 per day:
- In a major relief for the common man, Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has increased the daily limit of ATM withdrawal to Rs 4500 from current Rs 2500 with effective from January 1st, 2017.
- RBI in anotification issued stated that there has been no change in the weekly withdrawal limit, which stands at Rs 24,000, including from ATM, for individuals and Rs 50,000 in case of small traders.
- It further said such disbursals will predominantly be in the denomination of Rs 500.
8. RBI extends period of enhanced Prepaid Payment Instruments limit:
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has extended the period of enhanced Prepaid Payment Instruments (PPI) limit of Rs 20,000 as part of efforts to promote digital payments.
- The limit has been extended till the completion of review of the PPI guidelines.
- However, the balance in such PPIs cannot exceed Rs 20,000 at any point of time and the merchants can transfer funds from such PPIs to their own linked bank accounts up to Rs 50,000 per month, without any limit per transaction.
9. State Bank of India ties up with Magicbricks.com:
- State Bank of India the country’s largest bank has tied up with online classifieds portal magicbricks.com, to conduct joint marketing activites and help rejuvenate the real estate sector.
- To kick start the MOU, SBI and Magicbricks are launching the 'Seal the Deal' campaign.
- Under Seal The Deal, SBI and Magicbricks will be hosting a mega online property show for SBI Approved Projects. This will be the first housing carnival in the industry at this scale.
10. Mother Dairy launches Aadhar-enabled payment system at booths:
- To promote cash less transactions, Mother Dairy Fruit & Vegetable Pvt Ltd today introduced Aadhar enabled payment system in more than 1,000 milk booths and ‘Safal’ retail stores.
- This service would now be available in addition to the existing modes like E-wallets and SmartChange Cards.
12. World's highest bridge opens in China Over 1,850-Foot Gorge:
- Beipanjiang Bridge has overtaken the 1,837-foot-tall SiDu River Bridge in the central province of Hubei to become the world's highest bridge.
- It is Located in south west of the country, the 4,396 feet long structure connects the provinces of Yunnan and Guizhou. The 4-lane road bridge is 4,396 feet long.
13. Narinder Batra resigns as IOA's associate VP:
- The associate vice president of Indian Olympic Association (IOA) Narinder Batra resigned from his post in protest against the nominations of Suresh Kalmadi and Abhay Singh Chautala as Life Presidents.
- Batra said he was strongly against the backdoor entry of Kalmadi and Chautala in the IOA.