1. PM Narendra Modi launches Aadhaar based mobile payment app to simplify digital payments:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched an Aadhaar based mobile payment application called BHIM (Bharat Interface for Money), a rebranded version of UPI (Unified Payment Interface) and USSD (Unstructured Supplementary Service Data), at the Digi Dhan Mela event in Talkatora stadium in New Delhi.
- PM also felicitated winners of Lucky Grahak Yojana.
- At the event, PM also made payment to Khadi using the Bhim mobile application and Tihar Jail was announced a cashless society.
2. Government proposes setting up Financial Data Management Centre:
- The Union Government has proposed setting up Financial Data Management Centre (FDMC) based on recommendation of a committee set up under the Department of Economic Affairs (DEC).
- The Committee was headed by Ajay Tyagi, Additional Secretary in Union Finance Ministry and has submitted its report and a draft bill titled The Financial Data Management Centre Bill, 2016.
3. Takam Pario to be new Arunachal CM:
- People's Party of Arunachal leader Takam Pario has been elected as the new CM of Arunachal Pradesh.
- The party will submit Pario' s name to Governor V Shanmuganathan.
- This move comes a day after PPA on Thursday temporarily suspended CM Pema Khandu and 6 MLAs for anti-party activities.
4. Haryana signs MoU with Andhra to prepare citizen database:
- Haryana government today signed a memorandum of understanding with Andhra Pradesh to assist it compile a centralised database of its population to ensure efficient and effective implementation of welfare programmes.
- The MoU for State Resident Data Base (SRDB) was signed by Haryana Principal Secretary, Information Technology Devender Singh and Secretary Andhra Pradesh, Information Technology, Vijayen.
5. Railway Minister lays foundation of Nadikudi-Srikalahasti project in Andhra Pradesh:
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu laid the foundation of Nadikudi-Srikalahasti railway project and initiated several other development works in Andhra Pradesh.
- Mr. Prabhu flagged off the Double-Decker train between Visakhapatnam-Tirupathi .
6. Bihar Government approves 50% reservation of Backward Class in judicial services:
- Bihar government led by Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, on December 27 approved an overall reservation of 50% in both, subordinate and superior judicial services.
- 50% posts would be filled through reservation in both services with 21% posts reserved for Extremely Backward Class (EBC), 12% for Other Backward Class (OBC), 16% for Scheduled Castes (SC) and 1% for Scheduled Tribe (ST).
7. Colombia passes FARC amnesty:
- Colombia’s Congress passed a law granting amnesty to Marxist FARC (Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia) rebels as part of historic peace deal reached between rebels and Government.
- The Senate passed the bill 69-0 votes after the House of Representatives approved it by 121-0 votes. This is another step to formally end to 52 years of Columbian civil war (Latin America’s longest conflict).
- The law grants special legal treatment, amnesty and pardons to members of the FARC accused of political and related crimes.
8. FIPB clears 6 FDI proposals worth Rs 1,200 crore:
- The Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB) has approved six Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) proposals worth Rs 1,200 crore.
- Decision in this regard was taken by FIPB meeting headed by Economic Affairs Secretary Shaktikanta Das.
- It has approved the proposals of Star Den Media Services, Sanofi Synthelabo India, Idea Cellular Infrastructure Services, Menarini India, Boehringer Ingelheim India and Recipharm Participation.
- The FIPB is inter-ministerial body that offers a single window clearance for applications on Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) that are under the approval route.
9. Lakshmi Vilas Bank launches QIP to raise Rs 600 crore:
- Major Private sector Lakshmi Vilas Bank has launched QIP to raise over Rs 599.88 crore by issuing 4.25 crore shares in domestic or international markets.
- The Committee of Directors for Capital Raising of the bank, at a meeting held yesterday, approved the floor price for the QIP issue at Rs 141.15 per equity share.
10. BoB Signs MoU With HFL To Provide Dairy Loans To Farmers:
- Major India's Public sector, Bank of Baroda signed Memorandum of Understanding(MoU) with Heritage Foods Ltd (HFL) to provide dairy loans to farmers through the lender’s branches across the country on December 29, 2016.
- The main aim of the agreement is to increase formers productivity and earningsBoB exhibited Highest Ever Loss by a PSB Heritage Foods is in the business of procurement, processing and sale of milk and milk products.
11. Chinese E-Commerce Firm Alibaba To set up Office in Mumbai:
- Chinese major e-commerce entity, Alibaba is to set up its first Indian office at Bandra-Kurla Complex (BKC) in Mumbai, to take the advantage of the growing e-commerce market in the city.
12. Actor Rishi Kapoor's autobiography to release on January 15:
- Bollywood actor Rishi Kapoor's autobiography will hit the stands on January 15, 2017.
- The autobiography is titled "Khullam Khulla".
- The book's title has been borrowed from famous song "Khullam Khulla Pyar Karenge Hum Dono".