1. Government launches Swachh Swasth Sarvatra initiative:
- Union Government launched Swachh Swasth Sarvatra initiative to strengthen health centres in open defecation-free (ODF) blocks.
- The objective of this initiative is to strengthen community health centres in 708 ODF blocks across the country to enable them to achieve higher levels of cleanliness and hygiene.
- The Swachh Swasth Sarvatra is a part of the Union Government’s flagship Swachh Bharat Mission and is focused on the twin objectives of constructing toilets and enabling behavioural change.
2. Haryana Government to set up country’s first Caterpillar Train:
- Haryana Government has decided to set up a pilot corridor for an innovative concept of “Caterpillar Train” that will fly over city’s traffic, in Gurgaon city.
- The concept of Caterpillar Train, also known as C-Train, was co-developed by an Indian Railways engineer Ashwani Kumar Upadhyaya along with Emil Jacob, both PhD Caterpillar Trainscholars at MIT, for which they won a global award at the MIT in the United States earlier in 2016 for this innovative idea.
3. China launches 2 high resolution remote sensing satellites:
- China has successfully launched pair two high-resolution remote sensing satellites SuperView-1 01 and 02 to get commercial images.
- These satellites were launched on-board of Long March 2D rocket from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Centre in Shanxi Province.
- They will provide commercial images at 0.5-meter resolution.
4. India Signs Agreement with Bhutan for green and sustainable construction:
- India and Bhutan have signed an agreement for bilateral technical cooperation in infrastructure engineering.
- The MoU was signed between Central Public Works Department (CPWD), under India’s Ministry of Urban Development and the Department of Engineering Services, under Bhutan’s Ministry of Works and Human Settlements.
5. Centre approves Rs 266 crore investment for Delhi under AMRUT:
- The Central Govt of India has approved investments of Rs266 crore rupees for improving water supply and sewerage networks in Delhi.
- With the approval, the Urban Development Ministry has now given nod to a total investment of Rs489 crore rupees for improving urban infrastructure in the national capital under Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT) guidelines.
6. Cabinet Approves Road Connectivity Project for LWE Affected Areas:
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on December 28, 2016, approved a Centrally Sponsored Scheme namely “Road Connectivity Project for Left Wing Extremism (LWE) Affected Areas” to improve the rural road connectivity in the worst LWE affected districts from security angle.
7. Centre gives ex post facto approval for ratification of ISA’s Framework Agreement:
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi on December 28, gave its ex post facto approval to the proposal of Ministry of New & Renewable Energy for ratification of the International Solar Alliance’s (ISA) Framework Agreement by India.
8. Cabinet approves ordinance to make possession of old notes penal offence:
- The Cabinet has approved promulgation of an Ordinance to make possession of a large number of scrapped banknotes a penal offence making holding of old 1,000 and 500 rupee notes after March 31st 2017 beyond a threshold amount a criminal offence.
- The possession will attract a monetary fine of 10,000 rupees or five times the cash held, whichever is higher.
9. World Bhojpuri Conference begins in Varanasi:
- The four-day World Bhojpuri Conference began in Varanasi today.
- People from 18 countries will discuss issues like culture and religion.
- Bhojpuri Ratna and World Bhojpuri Karmayogi awards will be conferred on Mauritius PM Anerood Jugnauth, BJP MP Manoj Tiwari and Bollywood actor Amitabh Bachchan, among others.
10. 27th meeting of Southern Zonal Council held at Thiruvananthapuram:
- The 27th meeting of the Southern Zonal Council held at Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala was chaired by Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh.
- The Southern Zonal Council consists of Kerala, Karnataka, Telangana, Tamil Nadu, Puducherry (UT) and Andhra Pradesh.
- Many important issues were discussed during the meeting and resolved 16 out of 22 items on agenda.
11. Rajasthani writer Satya Narayan chosen for Bihari Puraskar:
- Eminent Rajasthani writer Satya Narayan has been chosen for the 26th Bihari Puraskar, 2016 by the K K Birla Foundation.
- He will be awarded a cash prize of Rs 2 lakhs, besides a citation and a plaque.
- Narayan selected for his Hindi book titled ‘Yeh Ek Dunia’ which was published in 2010.The book is a meticulous depiction of various circumstances of life in the contemporary world.
12. Government launches IVRS platform to tackle call drops:
- The Union Government has launched Integrated Voice Response System (IVRS) system in a bid to tackle the call drop menace.
- The system was launched at multiple locations including Delhi and Mumbai to obtain direct feedback from subscribers on call quality on the issue of frequent call drops.
- It is now available in Delhi, Mumbai, Punjab, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Maharashtra and Goa and soon will be extended to the entire country.
13. SP Vaid appointed as new J&K police chief:
- The Jammu and Kashmir Cabinet has cleared the appointment of 1986 batch IPS officer Dr Shesh Pal Vaid, Special DG, Coordination and Law and Order, as new Director General of Police.
- He will succeed DGP K Rajendra, whose extended term of service ends on 31 December 2016.
14. South Indian Bank has introduced a full-fledged NRI-focused mobile banking app:
- South Indian Bank has introduced a full-fledged NRI-focused mobile banking application called SIB Mirror+ across major mobile platforms.
- The new app was launched after the path-breaking 'E-Lock' feature that provided a single tap solution to fully secure all digital transaction from frauds.
- SIB Mirror+ equips the customers to perform almost all banking transactions from their smart phones.
15. Ana Ivanovic retires from Tennis at 29:
- Ana Ivanovic, announced her retirement from tennis at 29.
- Ivanovic, of Serbia, won 15 WTA Tour titles, including the 2008 French Open, and was ranked 63rd at the time of her announcement.