1. Viral Acharya appointed as deputy governor of RBI:
- The Union government has appointed Viral Acharya (IIT-B 1995 batch) as deputy governor of Reserve Bank of India (RBI) for three years.
- He will be joining as one of the four deputy governors serving under RBI Governor Urjit Patel.
- RBI currently has three deputy governors, S S Mundra, N S Vishwanathan and R Gandhi.
- Acharya is an alumnus of IIT, Mumbai with a degree of Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science and Engineering in 1995.
2. Anil Baijal appointed as new Lieutenant Governor of Delhi:
- Former Home Secretary Anil Baijal (1969-batch IAS officer) has been appointed as the new Lieutenant Governor (administrator) of Delhi.
- Mr.Baijal retired from the service in Oct. 2006 as the Secretary, Ministry of Urban Development and also served as the Chief Executive of Bharti Corporation.
- Earlier, the post of Delhi Lieutenant Governor fell vacant after the resignation of Najeeb Jung.
3. Kerala to seek Union government’s approval for using deer antlers in Ayurveda medicines:
- The Kerala Government has approached the Union Government for allowing use of antlers of spotted deer and sambar of Ayurveda medicines.
- In this regard, Kerala State Board for Wildlife (SBWL) under chairmanship of CM Pinarayi Vijayan has forwarded proposal to National Board for Wildlife (NBWL) and Ministry of Environment and Forests.
- SBWL is seeking suitable amendments to the Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972 for using the antlers for medicinal purposes.
- Antlers are the extensions of the deer’s skull.
4. Kerala's Nedumkayam becomes 1st cashless, digital tribal colony:
- Nedumkayam in Malappuram District of Kerala has become the first cashless and digital tribal colony in the country.
- The declaration was made after adequate training for the entire tribal people of the colony in the cashless transaction and digital literacy.
- The training was completed with the support of National Service Scheme.
5. Nagar Uday Abhiyan launched in Madhya Pradesh:
- CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan has launched Nagar Uday Abhiyan rallies across the state.
- The main aim of the Nagar Uday Abhiyan is to assess services provided to citizens and bring them at standard live.
- This campaign will be conducted in three phases from December 25 to February 5 to assess services being provided to citizens and bring them at standard live.
6. Home Ministry cancels licences of 20,000 NGOs for FCRA violation:
- The Union government has cancelled licences of 20 thousand Non-governmental organisation (NGOs) for violating various provisions of Foreign Contribution Regulation Act.
- Now, these NGOs will not be eligible to receive foreign funds.
- There are 33 thousand such registered NGO in the country and only around 13 thousand NGOs are legally valid.
7. Indian Army partners with IIT Gandhinagar for critical technology requirements:
- Indian Army has inked an agreement with IIT Gandhinagar to set up a research and development (R&D) cell at the IIT campus to identify problems and possible solutions for the Indian Army.
- The agreement also enable the IIT and Indian Army to collaborate in areas including critical technology requirements of Indian Army, sharing of professional and technical knowledge.
8. Bank of Maharashtra Adopts Village in Sangli for Digital Transactions:
- Pune based public sector lender Bank of Maharashtra, has helped to make the village of Malangaon, in Sangli district, Maharashtra, a completely cashless village.
9. RuPay card usage at PoS terminals surges 7 times after demonetization:
- The National Payments Corporation's RuPay card usage at merchant terminals has surged 7 times since 8th of November.
- It has taken the daily volumes to over 2.1 million.
- The RBI-administered retail umbrella body for all retail payment is targeting a daily volume of 5 million transactions through RuPay cards by next December.
10. Tata Motors appoints Akshay Kumar As Brand Ambassador For Commerical Vehicles:
- Tata Motors roped Akshay Kumar As Brand Ambassador For Commerical Vehicles.
- Bollywood star Akshay Kumar is appointed as brand ambassador for Tata Motor’s commercial vehicle (CV) business unit on December 27, 2016
11. Star Wars actress Carrie Fisher passes away at 60:
- Actress Carrie Fisher, known for playing Princess Leia in the 'Star Wars' film series, passed away on 27th December 2016 at the age of 60 in a Los Angeles hospital following a heart attack.
12. Former Madhya Pradesh CM Sunderlal Patwa passes away:
- Veteran BJP leader and former Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Sunderlal Patwa (92-year) has passed away in Bhopal (Madhya Pradesh).
- Mr. Patwa began his political career with Jana Sangh which merged with Janata Party in 1977.
- He was Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh twice from 20 January 1980 to 17 February 1980 as member of Janata Party and from 5 March 1990 to 15 December 1992 as leader of Bharatiya Janta Party.
13. Meghalaya to host 2022 National Games:
- Meghalaya will host the prestigious 2022 National Games coinciding with its 50 years of statehood.
- Indian Olympic Association(IOA) has accepted Meghalaya's bid to host the National Games overshadowing four other bidders (Andhra Pradesh, Goa, Chhattisgarh and Uttarakhand).
- Meghalaya had pledged Rs. 5 crore as the bid amount for the game.
- Goa will host the next National Games in November 2017.
14. Cristiano Ronaldo, Fernando Santos honored at Globe Soccer Awards:
- Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo and Portugal's Euro 2016-winning coach Fernando Santos were honored at the Globe Soccer Awards, Dubai.
- Ronaldo claimed the best player award after he helped his team win year's European Championship.
- Santos (62) was named best manager after masterminding Portugal's success in France.
15. 16-year-old Indian shooter equals Rio gold medallist's score:
- Shooter Pruthviraj Ayachi shot 209.5 in the finals of the junior men's 50 meters Rifle Prone event at the National Shooting Championship, equalling the score of the Rio Olympics' gold medallist.
16. Gujarat’s Samit Gohel Creates World Record Score of 359:
- Gujarat’s opening batsman Samit Gohel made history on December 27 by scoring 359 runs not out during his team’s Ranji Trophy quarter-final against Odisha.
- It is the highest unbeaten score by an opening batsman in first-class cricket.
- The 26-year-old player broke a 117-year-old record by achieving the feat in 723 balls and smashed 45 fours and one six on the way.
17. Virat Kohli chosen as captain of Cricket Australia’s ODI team of the year:
- India's dynamic Test captain Virat Kohli has named skipper of Cricket Australia's ODI team of the year which also featured young yorker specialist Jasprit Bumrah.
- Earlier, he was picked captain of the ICC's ODI team of the year.
- Kohli was preferred over Australia’s Steve Smith.