1. Good Governance Day: 25th December
- Good Governance Day is being observed today (25th December 2016) to mark the birthday of former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee who has turned 92.
- From today, Good Governance campaign will be undertaken for 100 days during which Ministers and Members of Parliament will travel across the country and attend programmes highlighting the government's key initiatives.
- It has been declared by the Indian government that 25th of December (Good Governance Day) would be the full working day.
2. UP CM inaugurates power projects worth Rs 52,000 crore:
- Uttar Pradesh CM Akhilesh Yadav has inaugurated power projects worth over Rs52,000 crore across the state.
- Along with projects covering transmission and distribution of electricity, three thermal power plants with the total capacity of 33,000 MW were also inaugurated.
- This is a major thrust to provide 24-hour electricity to all in the state.
3. DRDO successfully flight tests Smart Anti-Airfield Weapon:
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has successfully flight tested the Smart Anti-field Weapon (SAAW) at the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur off Odisha coast.
- It is Capable of engaging ground targets with high precision covering a range of around 100 km, SAAW precision-guided bomb is an indigenous designed and developed class smart weapon weighing 120 kg.
4. Obama signs defence bill, enhances cooperation with India:
- US President Barack has signed the National Defence Authorisation Act, 2017 to recognise India major defence partner of the United States of America.
- The Act enhances security co-operation between the two countries.
- The Act will also help resolve remaining issues impeding US-India defence.
- It also lays down conditions nearly half of the funding to Pakistan on a certification that it is taking demonstrable steps against the Haqqani Network.
5. PM Modi lays foundation stone of Pune Metro Rail:
- PM Narendra Modi has laid the foundation stone of Pune Metro project's Phase-I.
- PM Modi said the government is actively working on the Rurban Mission, which caters to the places that are urbanising quickly.
6. Govt launch mobile App 'Smart Consumer' & OCMC to provide speedy redressal of consumer grievances:
- The government has launched a host of online initiatives including a mobile App 'Smart Consumer' and an 'Online Consumer Mediation Centre (OCMC)' to provide speedy redressal of consumer grievances.
- The initiatives were unveiled by Consumer Affairs Minister Ram Vilas Paswan at a function in New Delhi on the occasion of National Consumer Day (24th December 2016). A helpline 14404 was also launched for conusmer related grievances.
7. Sunny Leone to receive PETA’s person of the year award:
- Sunny Leone will receive PETA’s person of the year award for her dedication to promoting the rescue of homeless dogs and cats, as well as her compassion for animals abused and killed for their skin.
- Earlier this year, the 35-year-old star featured in an ad the campaign by the organisation which encouraged people to be an angel and adopt a homeless dog.
8. Govt partners with Google for online consumer protection:
- Google India has partnered with the Ministry of Consumer Affairs for a campaign called 'Digitally Safe Consumer' to help protect consumer interest online.
- The company has said it will provide training material to over 1,200 consumer organisations and consumer affairs departments of all Indian states.
- Google is also working with schools to spread awareness about internet safety among the youth.
9. Eight foreign firms listed for supply of note paper:
- As per a report, Eight foreign firms include Lanquart (Switzerland), Komsco (South Korea), Arjowiggins (France), Crane (Sweden), Goznak (Russia), among others have listed for supply of note paper.
- These firms have reportedly been given contracts of 27,500 metric tonnes of paper for lower denomination currency. The notes will be supplied to India from April-December 2017.
10. Virat Kohli tops the list of Lord's Top 20 Players of 2016:
- Indian Test skipper Virat Kohli has featured on top of the Lord's Cricket Ground's Top 20 Players of 2016.
- Kohli is this year's top scorer across the three formats of the game with 2595 runs in 41 innings. Ravichandran Ashwin (3), Ajinkya Rahane (13) and Cheteshwar Pujara (18) were the other Indians who made it to the list.