1. National Consumer Day:December 24
- The National Consumer Day is observed every year in India on 24th December.
- Observance of this day provides an opportunity for individuals to highlight the importance of the consumer movement and promote the basic rights and responsibilities of all consumers.
- The theme for 2016 is Alternate Consumer Disputes Redressal.
2. Bengali poet Shankha Ghosh chosen for Jnanpith Award 2016:
- Eminent modern Bengali poet Shankha Ghosh has been chosen for the prestigious Jnanpith Award for 2016.
- The award is given for exceptional contribution in the field of literature.
- He has earlier won the Sahitya Academy Award and the Padma Bhushan award for his contribution to Indian literature.
3. Odisha Government launches Biju Sishu Surakshya Yojana to nurture HIV positive orphan kids:
- The Odisha Government launched the Biju Sishu Surakshya Yojana, a scheme to nurture the orphan and HIV-infected children residing in different child care institutions and orphanages.
- The main aim of the scheme is to facilitate care and protection towards orphans and HIV infected children of the state.
- It will act and supplement for providing additional resources and complementary modalities to the existing centrally sponsored schemes.
4. NITI Aayog rolls out Performance on Health Outcomes index:
- The NITI Aayog along with Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has rolled out Performance on Health Outcomes index to rank States on the basis of their performance on measurable health indicators.
- The index was developed with inputs from domestic and international experts, including academicians and development partners as well as feedback from States.
5. 2016 SASTRA-Ramanujan award jointly shared by Radziwill & Matomaki:
- The 2016 SASTRA-Ramanujan award for mathematics was presented jointly to Maksym Radziwill of McGill University, Canada and Kaisa Matomaki of University of Turku, Finland at the inauguration of the International Conference on Number Theory at SASTRA University at Kumbakonam.
- The two were facilitated for their revolutionary collaborative work on short intervals in number theory.
6. Global Wage Report shows India to be among the worst levels of gender wage disparity:
- According to Global Wage Report, India has among the worst levels of gender wage disparity.
- Men earning more than women in similar jobs with the gap exceeding 30%, the Global Wage Report 2016-17 released by the International Labour Organisation (ILO).
7. Nepal to hold first ever military exercise with China:
- Nepal has announced to hold its first ever joint military exercise with China on February 10, 2017 to begin a new level of bilateral military engagement with China.
- The focus of the military exercise, named Pratikar-1, will be on training Nepali forces in dealing with hostage scenarios involving international terror groups.
9. Kisan Diwas is observed every year on 23 December across India:
- Kisan Diwas is observed every year on 23 December across India Since 2001 to celebrate the birth anniversary of the fifth prime minister and kisan leader,Ch. Charan Singh.
- Kisan Diwan is also known as Farmers Day or Charan Singh Jayanti.
10. 'Coal Mitra' portal launched to facilitate flexibility in utilization of domestic coal:
- Power Minister Piyush Goyal has launched 'Coal Mitra' Web Portal to facilitate Flexibility in Utilization of Domestic Coal.
- With this Government has also allowed Coal Swapping between PSUs and the Private Sector.
- This move is aimed at optimum utilisation by private as well as public power companies of the coal.
- The portal will enhance transparency in coal swapping and help reduce operational and logistic costs, bringing tariffs down.
11. Textile Ministry to launch Bunkar Mitra-Handloom Helpline Centre for weavers:
- The Ministry of Textiles has decided to establish a “Bunkar Mitra-Handloom Helpline Centre” where professional queries of weavers will be answered by the experts in the field.
- This helpline will function from 10.00 a.m to 6 p.m. and initially it will be provided in 7 languages viz., Hindi, English, and 5 other regional languages (Telugu, Tamil, Kannada Bengali & Assamese).
12. ICICI Bank launches EazyPay app for Merchants:
- ICICI Bank, India’s largest private sector bank has launched EazyPay mobile application for merchants that allows all-in-one acceptance payments platform.
- This app consolidates all digital wallets, QR code, Unified Payments Interface (UPI), and credit & debit cards modes of payments.
- With this, ICICI Bank became first bank in the country to roll out all-in-one payments platform.
- Eazypay app is sustainable payment mode compared to current peer-to-peer digital applications. It has ‘open architecture’ which makes it distinct from other digital payments that are actually closed-loop prepaid instruments.
13. Virat Kohli No 1 in Forbes' Scroll of Fame:
- Indian cricketer, Virat Kohli has been was chosen as the most popular celebrity in the Forbes India Celebrity 100 list.
- With the estimated earnings of Rs 134.44 crore in the year, Kohli jumped to No.3 spot overall in the list, from No.7 last year.
14. Shiva Keshavan grabs gold at Asian Luge Championship:
- India’s Seasoned Winter Olympian Shiva Keshavan clinched a gold medal at the Asian Luge Championship on 23rd December.
- Keshavan finished the 2 heat race with a time of 1 minute, 39.962 seconds and top speed of 130.4 km/h.
- Japan's Tanaka Shohei won gold while Chinese Taipei's Lien Te-An claimed bronze.
- Earlier this year, Shiva was forced to withdraw from the 2016 World Championships due to lack of funds.
15. Pakistan's first Sikh cricketer Mohinder Pal Singh to join national cricket academy:
- Pakistan cricket has seen Christians and Hindus represent the country at home and abroad, but for the first time a Sikh has secured a place in the National Cricket Academy.
- Mohinder Pal Singh, who hails from Nankana Sahib (Lahore), is among the list of top 30 emerging cricketers in the country.
16. India beat Sri Lanka in final, clinch Asia Cup under-19 title:
- India beat hosts Sri Lanka by 34 runs and lift the Asian Cricket Council Under-19s Asia Cup title on Friday.
- Opting to bat, India Under-19s posted 273/8 and then bowled out Sri Lanka to 239 in 48.4 overs. For India, Himanshu Rana scored highest 71 runs.