1. Union Government reconstitutes committee helping Krishna River Board:
- The Union Water Resources Ministry has reconstituted a committee that was tasked with assisting the Krishna River Management Board (KRMB).
- The new committee will be headed by A.K. Bajaj, former chairman of the Central Water Commission (CWC). Besides, Gopala Krishnan, R.P. Pandey, Pradeep Kumar Shukla and N.N. Rai will be its members.
2. World's first solar road opens in France:
- The world's first solar road made with 30,000 square feet of solar panels has been opened in the French village of Normandy.
- The one-kilometre long road took five years and cost $5.2 million to develop.
- It will be used for a two-year test period to check if it can generate enough energy to power street lighting in the village.
3. France becomes first country to use drones for national mail service:
- France became the first country in the world to use drones for national mail service.
- In this regard, French postal service announced a drone delivery program to deliver parcels on a 14-kilometre route once a week to reach mountainous regions.
- These mail drones will have a range of 19 km and a top speed of 30.5 kmph. They also have parachutes for safe emergency landing.
4. PM Modi features on Government of India calendar for 2017:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has featured on the Government of India 2017 calendar, released by the Press Information Bureau.
- The calendar features candid pictures, with each month representing the issues that Modi has worked for.
- The photos depict the Prime Minister's participation in campaigns including 'Swachh Bharat', 'Sashakt Nari, Sashakt Bharat', and 'MSME: India's economic backbone'.
5. Naik inaugurates NE Institute of Ayurveda and Homeopathy:
- Union Minister of State for Ayush Shripad Yesso Naik has inaugurated the North Eastern Institute of Ayurveda and Homeopathy (NEIAH) in Meghalaya, which aims to provide alternative health care to people of the northeastern region and Sikkim.
- The institutes primary aim is to produce quality human resource in the area of Ayush, particularly in ayurveda and homoeopathy along with yoga.
6. Japan successfully launches solid fuel rocket:
- Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) has successfully launched a solid fuel rocket named Epsilon-2 from the Uchinoura Space Center in southern Japan.
- The 26-metre-long rocket released Exploration of energization and Radiation in Geospace (ERG) satellite for studying radiation belts around the earth soon after the lift-off.
- ERG satellite will orbit in a highly elliptical orbit, getting as close to Earth as 350 kilometers and as far away as 30,000 km.
7. Roger Federer named 2016's 'Most Stylish Man' by GQ:
- Seventeen-time Grand Slam winner Roger Federer was named the 'Most Stylish Man' of 2016 by GQ, a leading men's magazine.
- The magazine described Federer as "quietly elegant tennis pro who favours neutral suits and the occasional pop of colour on the court".
- Roger Federer beat Tim Hiddleston in the final round by more than 60% of fan votes.
8. NGT bans open waste burning across the country:
- The National Green Tribunal (NGT) imposed a complete ban on burning of waste in open places across the country and announced a fine of Rs. 25,000 on each incident of bulk waste burning.
- The green panel’s judgement was given on the petition seeking directions to local bodies in states and Centre for improving solid waste management methods.
9. Hrithik Roshan becomes highest advance taxpaying actor:
- Hrithik Roshan has become the highest advance taxpaying actor.
- He has paid an advance tax of Rs 80 crore till December 15, 2016, compared to Rs 50 crore last year. After Hrithik, it is Aamir Khan, who has paid Rs. 74 crore.
- Ranbir Kapoor, who paid Rs 37 crore as advance tax till December is at 3rd position.
10. Salman Khan has been ranked No. 1 on the fifth Forbes India Celebrity 100 List:
- Salman Khan has earned a revenue of Rs 270.33 crore and ranked no. 1 in the 5th Forbes India Celebrity 100 list.
- Ranked second on the list, Shah Rukh Khan has an estimated earnings of Rs 221.75 crore.
- The Forbes' ranking is based on two parameters: estimates of entertainment-related earnings and estimates of fame.
11. American Tourister appoints Virat Kohli as brand ambassador:
- Luggage maker American Tourister has appointed India Test skipper Virat Kohli as its brand ambassador.
- The luggage brand has signed the ace cricketer to feature in a new integrated marketing communications campaign, which will be publicised in India, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, Oman, Bahrain, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, kick starting in March, 2017.
12. India wins bronze at women's U18 Hockey Asia Cup:
- India has defeated South Korea 3-0 to secure the bronze medal at the 4th Women's U18 Asia Cup 2016 hockey tournament in Bangkok on 22 December 2016.
- After the win, Hockey India announced cash rewards of Rs.1 lakh for each player.
- It also announced Rs.50000 for each member of the support staff.
13. Argentina win FIFA Team of the Year title:
- Argentina claimed the 'Team of the Year' title after finishing top of the FIFA rankings of the year with 1,634 points.
- Argentina's rivals Brazil ended the year in the second position with 1,544 points while World Champions Germany finished third with 1,433 points.
- Last year's winner Belgium ended the year in the fifth position with 1,368 points.
14. Jeje wins best footballer of the year award by AIFF:
- Indian fotballer Jeje Lalpekhlua has named 2016's All India Football Federation (AIFF) Player of the Year, an award given to the best footballer in the country.
- The 25-year-old who hails from Mizoram will be awarded a prize of 2.5 lakh.
15. ICC Awards 2016 Winners List CLICK HERE