1. China launches TanSat satellite to monitor global carbon emissions:
- China successfully launched TanSat, a global carbon dioxide (CO2) monitoring satellite to understand the effects of climate change.
- It was launched on board of Long March-2D rocket from Jiuquan Satellite Launch Centre in northwest China’s Gobi Desert.
- With this, China became third country after Japan and United States to have its own satellite to monitor greenhouse gases (GHGs).
- TanSat will thoroughly examine global CO2 levels every 16 days, accurate to at least 4 ppm (parts per million).
2. Aizawl becomes first free Wi-Fi city in North-East:
- Aizawl became the first free Wi-Fi city in the North-East region.
- The free Wi-Fi facilities would enable the much needed internet accessibility to one and all.
- It is a pilot project of the Aizawl Municipal Corporation.
3. Delhi Lt. Governor Najeeb Jung resigns:
- Delhi Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung has submitted his resignation to the Government of India.
- The tenure of Jung, who took the charge of the office on July 9, 2013, was scheduled to end in 2018.
- He was the 13th Vice-Chancellor of the Jamia Millia Islamia university, would be returning to academics.
4. Ministry of Minority affairs Launches website for Haj Pilgrims:
- Minister for Minority Affairs Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi launched the trilingual website www.haj.gov.in relating to Haj Matters.
- The website is in Hindi, Urdu and English languages.
5. The two-day meeting of GST Council begins today in Delhi:
- The two-day GST council meeting (7th) has begun in New Delhi to consider the model GST laws and iron out differences on the issue of jurisdiction over assessees in the new indirect tax regime.
- The decision includes the threshold limit of 20 lakh rupees exemption from levy of GST for normal States and 10 lakhs for the Special Category States.
- In the last meeting, GST Council had cleared 20 chapters of the model GST law and today they will discuss the remaining 7 chapters.
- The government has time till 16th September next year to implement the Goods and Services Tax Act as per the Constitution Amendment Bill passed by both the Houses with two-thirds majority and by half of the States.
6. RBI slaps fine on 5 foreign banks for violating FEMA rules:
- The Reserve Bank has imposed the penalty on five foreign banks, including Deutsche Bank and Standard Chartered Bank, for violation of its instructions on reporting requirements of the FEMA.
- The three other banks are: Bank of America, Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi and The Royal Bank of Scotland.
- They have been fined for violation of its instructions on reporting requirements of the Foreign Exchange Management Act, 1999 (FEMA).
7. Indian movies MS Dhoni, Sarbjit make it to Oscars long list:
- Indian biopics "MS Dhoni: The Untold Story" and "Sarbjit" have made it to the long list of 336 feature films eligible for the Oscars.
- Indian-American filmmaker Mira Nair's directorial venture "Queen of Katwe" is also part of the list.
- The list also includes awards season favourites La La Land, Moonlight, Manchester by the Sea, Silence, Arrival, and Hacksaw Ridge.
8. Sahitya Akademi Awards 2016:
- Mumbai-based writer Jerry Pinto, Tamil author Vannadhasan, Hindi writer Nasira Sharma are among 24 others declared the winners of the Sahitya Akademi awards 2016.
- Sharma’s Hindi novel Paarijat, Pinto’s Em and the Big Hoom and Vannadhasan’s Oru Sru Isai won them the literary honour.
- Among the winners are eight book of poetry, seven books of short stories, five novels, two on criticism, one of essays and one play.
- The books were chosen on the basis of recommendations made by a jury of three in the languages concerned and approved by its executive board.
9. PM to lay foundation stone of Shivaji Memorial in Arabian Sea:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will lay the foundation stone of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj memorial at an island in Arabian Sea off Mumbai coast on 24th December.
- Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis will accompany the Prime Minister on the occasion.
10. Gujarat govt. announces Aerospace and Defence Policy-2016:
- The Gujarat government has announced Aerospace and Defence Policy-2016 to attract investment into fields of aerospace and defence design, development and manufacturing in the state.
- Investors will be entitled to get 100% reimbursement on stamp duty and registration charges paid for purchase, lease or mortgage of land meant for setting up the facility in the areas of Aerospace and Defence.
- The government has also made a provision of giving cash subsidy of 25% on capital investment made by MSME units to set up their facility in the Aerospace and Defence sector.
11. Priyanka 1st Indian to be made Pantene's global ambassador:
- Actress Priyanka Chopra has become the first Indian to be appointed as the global ambassador of the hair care brand Pantene.
12. Hrithik launches book series for visually impaired children:
- Actor Hrithik Roashan has launched a children's book series 'Tactabet', written in Braille format, which is being published for visually impaired people.
- Available in both Hindi and English, the book series is on the alphabets.
13. Amul goes digital, ties up with MobiKwik for e-payments:
- Domestic mobile wallet platform MobiKwik has tied up with Indian dairy co-operative Amul to help customers make cashless payments at its outlets.
- The facility can be used at 7,000 Amul outlets and three lakh Amul multi-brand outlets and retailers across the country.
14. Praful Patel re-elected unopposed as AIFF president for 3rd time:
- The former Union Minister Praful Patel has been re-elected unopposed as the president (third successive term) of All India Football Federation (AIFF) for the term 2017-2020.
- Earlier, the Annual General Meeting was held in New Delhi after the Delhi High Court vacated a stay on the elections.
15. R.Ashwin named ICC Cricketer of the Year and Test cricketer of the Year:
- Indian cricketer Ravichandran Ashwin has been named the ICC Cricketer of the Year and the ICC Test cricketer of the Year at ICC awards in Dubai.
- Ashwin has become the second Indian player after Rahul Dravid to bag the two coveted prizes in the same year.
- Ranked Number one bowler and all-rounder in Test cricket.
- Ashwin picked up 72 wickets in 12 matches this year at an outstanding average of 23.90 and scored 612 runs at an average of 43.17.
16. Arjun Bhati wins in Kids Golf World Championship:
- A 12-year-old Arjun Bhati won the Kids Golf World Championship 2016 in Malaysia defeating South Africa's Methu Denish to secure the first position.
- In a competition in which 21 countries had participated, Arjun secured the top shot scoring two extra shots.