1. India and Kyrgyzstan sign 6 agreements in various fields:
- India and Kyrgyzstan have signed six Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)/ Agreements including in the fields of tourism, agriculture and food industry etc.
- Signed Agreements are
- MoU on cooperation in the field of Tourism.
- MoU in the field of cooperation in youth exchange.
- MoU on cooperation in the field of Youth development.
- MoU on exchange of information on training programmes of diplomats.
- Agreement on cooperation in the field of Agriculture and Food Industry.
- MoU on cooperation in the field of Broadcasting and exchange of audiovisual programmes.
2. PM Modi Launched Major Skill Development Projects at Kanpur:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid foundation stone of the country’s first Indian Institute of Skills (IIS) in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh to make India the Skill Capital of the World.
- PM Modi also inaugurated the Kaushal Pradarshini (Skill Exhibition) for the youth of Uttar Pradesh to portray major skill development initiatives of the Union Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Ministry.
- The Indian Institute of Skills (IIS) is being opened by the Union Skill Development Ministry in partnership with the Institute of Technical Education, Singapore.
3. International Human Solidarity Day 20 December:
- The United Nations' (UN) International Human Solidarity Day is annually held on December 20 to celebrate unity in diversity.
- It also aims to remind people on the importance of solidarity in working towards eradicating poverty.
- On International Human Solidarity Day, governments are reminded of their commitments to international agreements on the need for human solidarity as an initiative to fight against poverty.
4. Huge dead zone discovered in Bay of Bengal:
- Scientists including those from India have found a huge ‘dead zone’ of an estimated 60,000 square kilometres in Bay of Bengal.
- This area is said to supports microbial processes that remove vast amount of nitrogen from the ocean. The study published in Nature Geosciences.
- Dead Zone is an area in water body that contains little or no oxygen (or they are hypoxic) in bottom and near-bottom water.
5. India-Nepal Folk Crafts Festival kicks off in Kathmandu:
- The five-day India-Nepal Folk Crafts Festival (INCF-2016) has begun in Kathmandu, Nepal on December 19, 2016 to promote cultural exchanges between the two countries.
- The Main aim of the festival to promote crafts based bilateral relations and enhance cultural exchanges between the artisans of India and Nepal.
6. Corporation Bank bags SKOCH silver award:
- Corporation Bank has bagged the SKOCH silver award for attaining the position of No. 1 channel partner of LIC of India for the past three financial years, and the bank was also awarded order of merit under other three categories.
7. EPFO lowers interest rate on EPF to 8.65 percent for FY17:
- Employee's Provident Fund Organization EPFO decided to lower the interest on EPF deposits for the current fiscal to 8.65%, from 8.8% provided in 2015-16, for its over four crore subscribers.
- The Employees Provident Fund Organisation's apex decision-making body, the Central Board of Trustees (CBT), has taken a decision to lower the interest rate to 8.65 percent for the current fiscal 2016-2017 from 8.8 in 2015-16.
8. Madras High Court bans unauthorised Sharia courts in Tamil Nadu:
- The Madras High Court has banned all unauthorised Sharia courts in mosques across Tamil Nadu, saying centres of worship were only to be used for religious purposes.
- The court’s pronouncement came in response to a PIL filed by a non-resident Indian mentioning that such sharia courts are operating as a court of law from mosques and dealt largely with matrimonial disputes, even going to the extent of passing divorce orders.
9. Micromax, Uber join hands to offer integrated experience:
- Mobile phone brand Micromax Informatics, and taxi-hailing service Uber announced a partnership that will help Micromax customers book an Uber ride on their phones without having to download application.
- Through the partnership, Micromax aims to push nearly 100 million devices that offer an integrated experience with Uber over the next three years.
10. Creator of Heimlich maneuver, Dr Henry Heimlich, died at 96:
- The surgeon who created the life-saving Heimlich maneuver for choking victims has died at Christ Hospital in Cincinnati due to heart attack.
11. India beat England by innings and 75 runs, win series 4-0:
- India has won the five-match test series against England, 3-0-1.
- In the fifth and final test played at M. A. Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai, England wrapped up the second innings at 207 in 88 overs on 20 December 2016.
- Virat Kohli is the man of the series for his 655 runs in the series.