1. World AIDS Day 2016 observed across the world:
- The World AIDS Day was on 1 December 2016 observed across the world with the theme Hands up for #HIVprevention.
- The campaign #HIVprevention explores different aspects of HIV prevention and how they relate to specific groups of people, such as adolescent girls and young women, key populations and people living with HIV.
2. Sachin Tendulkar's autobiography "Playing it my way" named Book of the Year:
- The autobiography of India’s batting legend Sachin Tendulkar “Playing it my way” has won the prestigious Crossword Book of the Year Award in the Autobiography category.
- The book is penned by renowned cricket historian and Tendulkar’s close friend Boria Majumdar.
- Earlier, it also had entered the Limca Book of World Records for being the best selling adult hardback across both fiction and non-fiction.
3. India inks Rs 5,000 crore defence deal with US to buy 145 M777 howitzers:
- India has signed government-to-government (G2G) deal with the United States (US) to buy 145 M-777 Ultra-Light Howitzers worth $750 million under the Foreign Military Sales programme.
- This is the first defence deal signed by India for purchasing artillery guns since the Bofors scandal in 1980s.
- The deal was recently cleared by the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
4. Himachal Pradesh Raj Bhawan adopts cashless system after PM’s appeal:
- Raj Bhawan of Himachal Pradesh on 30 November 2016 adopted the cashless system for all kind of payments.
- Governor Acharya Devvrat has directed Raj Bhawan’s official in Shimla to use a cashless system or cheque in all kind of payments.
- The direction was issued after the Prime Minister’s appeal in this regard.
- As per the reports, the payments of Raj Bhawan would be made online, through cheques or another mode of e-payments.
- Possibly, Himachal Raj Bhawan is the first in the country to adopt these cashless techniques so promptly.
5. Union Cabinet approves inclusion of 15 new castes in Central OBC list:
- The Union Cabinet has given its approval for inclusion of 15 new castes and modification in 13 other castes in the Central list of Other Backward Classes (OBCs) in respect of 8 states.
- These states are Assam, Bihar, Himachal Pradesh, Jharkhand, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir and Uttarakhand.
- The Union Cabinet took this decision based on the recommendation of the National Commission for Backward Classes (NCBC).
6. Union Government forms Chandrababu Naidu Committee to promote digital economy:
- NITI Aayog, under the banner of the Union Government, on 30 November 2016 constituted a 13-member committee to promote cashless economy.
- The committee will be headed by Andhra Pradesh CM Chandrababu Naidu.
- The committee will be formed by Chief Ministers of various states representing different political parties to examine and promote the use of digital payment systems across the country.
7. Facebook invests $40000 in CoutLoot, an Indian StartUp:
- Under its FBStart Programme, FB will invest $40000 in the Indian Fashion Startup, CoutLoot.
- The programme was launched by FB last year to help entrepreneurs with their startups by providing sufficient funds ans services to help grow their business.
- The Startup will also receive mentor-ship from the engineering teams of FB.
8. Federal Bank ties up with Spice Digital:
- Federal Bank has tied up with Spice Digital for cash management services through the bank’s e-collection facility.
- As per the arrangement, 20,000 plus retail outlets of Spice Digital can now remit its cash collection at the Federal Bank branches pan India.
- This helps the outlets to get replenished its running limits on the spot enabling them to continue to serve the customers hassle-free.
- Spice Digital Ltd is a market leader for mobile value added services (MVAS), mobile applications and Internet products and services.
9. Rehabilitation Package for the displaced families from PoK approved by Centre:
- The Rehabilitation package for Rs. 2000 crore was approved by the Union Cabinet for 36384 displaced families from Pakistan occupied Jammu & Kashmir (POJK) and Chhamb.
- The package has been approved under Prime Minister's Development Package for Jammu & Kashmir 2015.
- Under the package, Rs 5.5 lakh of cash benefit will be disbursed to each displaced family.
10. Magnus Carlsen wins 2016 World Chess Championship:
- Magnus Carlsen won the 2016 World Chess Championship on 30 November 2016 in New York City, USA.
- Carlsen defeated Sergey Karjakin to retain the World Chess Champion title.
- It’s the third time that Carlsen has won the championship.
- He has reigned as world champion since 2013.