1. Bipin Rawat named new Army chief, BS Dhanoa new IAF head:
- The government has announced the appointment of Lieutenant General Bipin Rawat as the new Indian Army Chief and Air Marshal Birender Singh Dhanoa as the new Indian Air Force Chief.
- Rawat, who belongs to the 5th Battalion of 11th Gorkha Rifles, will take over from Dalbir Singh Suhag, while Dhanoa, a Kargil war veteran, will replace Arup Raha.
2. Rajiv Jain appointed new IB chief, Anil Dhasmana to head RAW:
- Jharkhand cadre IPS officer Rajiv Jain has been appointed as the new chief of Intelligence Bureau (IB).
- Anil Dhasmana, a 1980-batch Madhya Pradesh-cadre officer, will head external intelligence agency RAW.
- Both the officers will have a tenure of two years.
3. Himachal Pradesh becomes sixth in India to attain 100% Aadhaar saturation:
- Himachal Pradesh became sixth state/UT in the Country to achieve 100 percent Aadhar saturation on the basis of population of year 2015.
- Earlier, Delhi, Telangana, Haryana, Punjab and Chandigarh have achieved this milestone.
4. Himachal Pradesh’s first Cybercrime police station opens in Shimla :
- Himachal Pradesh’s first Cyber Crime Police Station was opened at state police headquarter in Shimla.
- The main objective of this police station is to deal with increasing crime based on misuse of information technology by the High tech criminals.
- This police station will investigate cyber offences like hacking of government web sites and its data, prevention and detection of cyber terrorism & financing all types of cyber fraud cases.
5. PM Modi to unveil Vibrant Gujarat summit in January 2017:
- The Vibrant Gujarat Global Summit will be inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on January 2017.
- Modi will also chair a round-table with CEOs of Fortune 500 companies from India and abroad during his two-day visit to the state.
6. Manipur Chief Minsiter inaugurates two new districts amid Naga protests:
- Manipur Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh has inaugurated two new districts Pherzawl and Noney.
- Pherzawl carved out of Churachandpur district, and Noney from Tamenglong district in Manipur.Now, the total number of the district is 11.
- Manipur government resolved to create Kangpokpi, Jiribam, Noney, Tengnoupal, Pherzol, Kamjong and Kaching districts by carving up seven of the existing nine districts of the state on December 8, 2016.
7. Government forms high-level task force on Indus Water Treaty headed by Nripendra Mishra:
- The Government has formed an inter- ministerial task force to look into all the strategic aspects of Indus Water Treaty (IWT) with Pakistan on December 17, 2016.
- The Task force will be headed by PM Narendra Modi’s Principal Secretary Nripendra Mishra.
- Other team members included NSA Ajit Doval, Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar and Secretaries in ministries of Finance, Environment, Power and Water Resource.
- It is mandated with taking all important strategic and policy decisions. It is an all-powerful body which will take decisions regarding the treaty
8. State Bank MobiCash Mobile Wallet launched:
- Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs, Arun Jaitley and Minister of State for Communications (Independent charge) and Minster of State for Railways Manoj Sinha has jointly launched State Bank MobiCash Mobile Wallet, a product by SBI and BSNL.
- While introducing the service, Finance Minister appreciated the broader vision of SBI and BSNL to bring a Wallet both for smart and feature phones.
9. India, Tajikistan ink four agreements:
- India and Tajikistan have signed four agreements in areas including on double taxation avoidance, money laundering and counter-terrorism.
- These agreements were signed following delegation level talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and visiting President of Tajikistan Emomali Rahmon in New Delhi.
10. Suresh Prabhu Flagged off First Humsafar Express from Gorakhpur via Video conference:
- Indian Railways’ new train, Humsafar Express, was flagged off from Gorakhpur in eastern Uttar Pradesh by Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu via video conferencing in Rail Bhawan, New Delhi on December 16, 2016:
- The first Humsafar Express, with 16 AC III tier coaches and two power cars, would run between Hamsafar ExpressAnand Vihar in Ghaziabad to Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh.
- The special service train made up entirely of AC III coaches will run for inter-city overnight journeys and has been designed specifically for middle-class passengers.
11. Sharad Pawar steps down as president of MCA:
- Indian politician Sharad Pawar has stepped down as president of the Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA).
- Move came after Pawar decided to 'fall in line' with the recommendations of the Lodha panel. According to the Panel, that cricket administrator should not be over 70 years and must not serve two consecutive terms.
12. Journalist Arnab Goswami launched a new venture called ‘Republic’:
- Noted television journalist and talk show host Arnab Goswami has announced that the launch of his ‘new venture’ called ‘Republic’, on December 15, 2016, a month after resigning as editor-in-chief of Times Now.
- At a conference held at the 10th anniversary of IEEMA ( Indian Electronic Arnab GoswamiEquipment Manufacturer’s Association), the apex body for the power equipment industry, Swamy informed that Republic will be launched on 26 January, 2017.
13. Vijender Singh retains WBO-Asia Pacific Super title:
- Indian boxing star Vijender Singh retained his WBO-Asia Pacific Super Middleweight title by defeated Tanzanian boxer Francis Cheka.
- He defeated Cheka in the third round of the total 10-round contest held at Thyagraj Stadium in New Delhi.