1. Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana comes into effect today:
- Today, the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana (PMGKY) comes into effect and continue till 31st March 2017.
- Declaration of undisclosed income under it can be made by any person in the form of cash or deposits in an account with bank or post office.
- The PMKGY provides for 50% tax and surcharge on declarations of unaccounted cash deposited in banks.
- The money generated from disclosure of unaccounted cash will be used for this yojana and will be kept confidential.
2. Indian Navy’s eight landing craft utility L-58 launched by GRSE:
- Indian Navy’s eight landing craft utility (LCU) L-58 was launched by Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Ltd (GRSE) in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- It is the last vessel in a series of eight ships of LCU MK-IV project designed and built by GRSE for the Indian Navy.
- It was launched by Neelam Pratap Singh Rudy, wife of Union minister Rajiv Pratap Rudy.
- LCU L-58 is fully designed in-house by GRSE. It has displacement of 830 tonnes.
3. NTPC signs MoU with NALCO to set up power plant in Odisha:
- National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) Ltd. and National Aluminium Company (NALCO) have jointly agreed to set up a cola based 2400 MW power plant at Gajmara in Dhenkanal district.
- The energy produced at this unit will be used to supply power to Nalco's aluminium smelter.
- The estimated investment in all these projects will be approximately Rs. 36,000 crores.
4. PIFF to be held from Jan 12:
- The 15th Pune International Film Festival will be held from January 12 to 19. Around 250 films in different categories will be screened at the festival, which is a collaboration between Maharashtra government and Pune Film Foundation.
- The festival director Jabbar Patel said the theme for this year's festival is Environment.
5. Rajasthan launches meal scheme 'Annapurna Rasoi':
- Rajasthan government has launched a subsidised meal scheme ‘Annapurna Rasoi'.
- As per the scheme, the poor and the needy will get breakfast for Rs. 5 and lunch or dinner for Rs 8.
- Initially, the scheme has been launched in 12 cities Jaipur, Jodhpur, Kota, Ajmer, Bikaner, Udaipur, Bharatpur, Baran, Banswara, Dungarpur, Jhalawar and Pratapgarh.
6. Coimbatore City Municipal Corporation awarded Digital India Silver Award:
- The Coimbatore City Municipal Corporation in Tamil Nadu has been selected for Digital India Silver Award instituted by the Union Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
- It will receive award in the category of “Most Innovative Citizen Engagement” and also for installing and implementing free WiFi Scheme in its various offices.
- The award was instituted for leveraging use of Information and Communication Technology to solicit active engagement of public in the process of governance.
7. The Union Govt to deploy 600 young professionals to boost Swachh Bharat:
- The Union Government will deploy 600 (One in each district) Zila Swachh Bharat Preraks (ZSBPs) across the country to boost Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.
- The role of the ZSBPs will be to support (technical and management) to the Collector/DDO/CEO to implement Swachh Bharat Mission by coordinating the various sanitation-related activities in the district.
- The cadre will be funded and recruited by the Tata Trusts.
8. India's foreign exchange reserves down by USD 887.2 mn to USD 362.987 bn:
- Foreign exchange reserves of India has declined by 887.2 million dollars to 362.987 billion dollars in the week ended this month.
- Gold reserves remained steady at 19.982 billion dollars.
- India's special drawing rights with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) decreased by 5.4 million dollars to 1.438 billion dollars.
- The country's reserve position also dipped by 8.8 million dollars to 2.307 billion dollars.
9. Pimpri Budruk in Pune district declared cashless village:
- The Centre for Good Governance has declared that Pimpri Budruk in Pune district as a cashless village.
- Each of the eligible members (students to senior citizens) of the village Pimpari Budruk from Khed tahasil of Pune District has an account with the bank and every transaction is being done through mobile banking.
- All the villagers have been trained by the bank officials and volunteers of Centre for Good Governance.
10. Devendra Fadnavis, AS Kiran Kumar and John Ralston Marr selected for SIES- National Eminence Award:
- Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis, ISRO chairman A S Kiran Kumar , UK-based scholar John Ralston Marr and Hari Katha exponent Kamala Murthy have been selected for SIES-Sri Chandrasekarendra Saraswati National Eminence Award.
- ISRO chairman A S Kiran Kumar will be presented award for Science & Technology category.
- Mahrashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis will be presented award for Public Leadership category.
- Hari Katha exponent Kamala Murthy presented in with this award in Social Thinkers, Philosophers and Pravachana Karthas category.
11. Audi appoints Rahil Ansari as its India head:
- German luxury car manufacturer Audi has appointed Rahil Ansari as the head of Audi India.
- He will replace Joe King, who has been leading the company in India since 2013.
- Prior to this appointment, he was head of the Global Pricing for Audi Genuine Parts for Audi AG Aftersales.