1. ICFA presents 'Global Agriculture Leadership Award 2016' to Ratan Tata:
- The Indian council of Food and Agriculture (ICFA) has presented “Global Agriculture Leadership Award 2016” to Interim Chairman of Tata sons Ratan Tata in Mumbai.
- He was conferred with the award for his transformational role in scaling Tata Group as the globally admired group during 20 years as chairman.
2. Haryana becomes first state to launch Mahila Police Volunteer initiative:
- Haryana became the first state in the country to launch Mahila Police Volunteer (MPV) initiative for safety of women.
- Mahila Police Volunteer is a joint initiative of Union Ministry of Women & Child Development and the Union Ministry of Home Affairs.
- MPV initiative is a voluntary service under which Mahila Police Volunteers (Gram Sakhi) will be inducted. It aims to bridge gap between Police and Civil society for safety of women.
3. Kochi to get India’s first transgender school:
- Sahaj International School in Kochi will be the first residential transgender school in the country.
- The school will initially accommodate ten transgender children, who will study under the National Open School system.
- The school will led by six transgenders working with the TransIndia Foundation.
- It will provide education and examination equivalent to Class X and XII.
4. 5th India-Arab partnership conference held in Muscat, Oman:
- The fifth edition of the India-Arab Partnership Conference was held in Muscat, Oman from December 14 to 15, 2016.
- Theme of the conference was ‘Partnership towards innovation and cooperation in IT’.
- It was organised by the Oman Foreign Ministry, Arab League Secretariat in association with the Union Ministry of External Affairs of India.
- The aim of the conferences was to enhance flow of investments from both sides, accelerate the investment projects of prioritized sectors, provide conducive environment for export promotion.
5. Nation pays tribute to bravehearts of 1971 Indo-Pak war on Vijay Diwas :
- The nation is paying tributes to the bravehearts on 16 December 2016, who laid down their lives during 1971 India-Pakistan war on the occasion of Vijay Diwas which is observed on 16 December of every year.
- On the occasion, Union Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar along with three Service chiefs paid tributes to the bravehearts at Amar Jawan Jyoti.
6. Punjab to provide free LPG to BPL families missed in SECC 2011:
- Punjab will provide free LPG connections to those BPL families who were missed in the 2011 Socio Economic Caste Census on the lines of Pradhan Mantri Ujwala Yojana.
- The State Food, Civil Supplies and Consumer Affairs department has an E-PDS portal and the details of beneficiaries under Household Priority and Antodaya Yojana has been uploaded.
- Aadhaar numbers of the beneficiaries have been seeded at the portal and the list has been de-duplicated with LPG Consumers Data provided by public sector oil companies to weed out identified LPG consumers from this list.
7. Andhra Pradesh to develop six smart cities in state:
- In the Cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Andhra Pradesh N. Chandrababu Naidu has decided to develop 6 smart cities in the state.
- These cities are Eluru, Nellore, Ongole, Anantapur, Kurnool and Srikakulam.
- A 'Smart City' is an urban region, which is highly sophisticated in terms of communications, overall infrastructure, market viability, etc.
8. Majuli set to become country’s first ever carbon neutral district:
- The Assam Government has initiated a project to make the river island Majuli as the first ever Carbon Neutral District in India.
- The Department of Environment and Forest has launched a project 'Sustainable Action for Climate Resilient Development in Majuli'.
- This will enable landscape planning for reducing emissions and improving forest health of Majuli.
- All these activities shall lead to Majuli being a Carbon Neutral District by 2020.
9. Seventh Edition of bilateral Exercise ‘EKUVERIN’ commences in Maldives:
- The Seventh edition of Exercise EKUVERIN is being held from 15 to 28 Dec 2016 at Kadhdhoo, Laamu Atoll, Maldives.
- The Exercise is a 14-day platoon level joint military exercise between the Indian Army & the Maldives National Defence Force conducted on a yearly basis.
- The aim of the exercise is to conduct military training with emphasis on amphibious & counter-insurgency/ counter-terrorism operations with a view to enhancing interoperability between the two armies.
10. Amina Mohammed named UN's Deputy Secretary-General:
- The UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has announced the appointment of Nigeria's Environment Minister Amina Mohammed to be the UN's deputy secretary-general.
11. India & ASEAN set target of $100 billion trade to be achieved by 2020:
- India and ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) have set a target of trading at 100 billion dollars to be achieved by 2020.
- Currently, the trade between ASEAN and India is 57 billion.
- ASEAN and India will celebrate its 25th anniversary in 2017, which will be attended by the head of states of all the ASEAN countries.
12. India tops Asia in innovation chart:
- India has Topped the Asia's innovation chart Index.
- The ‘Silicon Valley’ of the east, Bengaluru, which is 5th largest hub at the global level, saw most of the innovations in 2016.
13. e-Tourist visa extended to citizens of 161 countries: Government
- The Union Government has extended the facility of e-Tourist Visa (e-TV) Scheme for citizens of 161 countries.
- It was announced by Tourism Minister Mahesh Sharma in a written reply to Rajya Sabha.
- The reply also mentioned that number of foreign tourist arrivals on e-TV during January to November 2016 was 9,17,446.
- This period registered a growth of 168.5% over same period of previous year. This indicates success of the e-TV Scheme.
- Union Government had launched e-Tourist Visa Scheme (as Tourist Visa on Arrival scheme) on November 27, 2014.
14. Indian-American woman elected as Mayor of Californian city:
- An Indian-American woman Savita Vaidhyanathan has been elected as the new Mayor of the Californian's Cupertino town.
- Vaidhyanathan is an MBA who worked as a high school Math teacher and an officer in a commercial bank as well as in non-profit management.
- According to Forbes, she is one of the most educated small towns in the country with local public schools ranking highly.
15. Govt appoints Sunil Arora as IICA Director General:
- An IAS officer Sunil Arora (1980-batch Rajasthan cadre) has been appointed as the Director General(DG) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs (IICA).
- Presently, Mr Arora serving as an advisor at Prasar Bharati.
- The Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs (IICA) is a capacity building organisation and agency under the aegis and jurisdiction of the Ministry of Corporate Affairs of the Government of India.
16. Smriti Mandhana named in ICC Women’s Team of the Year:
- India batswoman Smriti Mandhana has been named in the ICC Women’s Team of the Year 2016, the International Cricket Council (ICC) announced.
- The women’s team of the year, which will be captained by West Indies’ Stafanie Taylor, has been added to the list of awards to acknowledge and appreciate outstanding performances of women’s cricketers over a 12-month period.