1. PM Narendra Modi ranks 9th among world’s most powerful people list of Forbes:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi was placed at 9th position among 74 of the world’s most powerful people list released by the Forbes Magazine.
- The list gives the annual ranking of the World’s Most Powerful People on the basis of their financial resources, scope and use of power and the number of people they impact.
- 2016 edition of the list was topped by Russian President Vladimir Putin and followed by
- Donald Trump, Angela Merkel. This is for fourth consecutive year Putin has topped the list.
2. Union Government launches Lucky Grahak Yojana, Digi Dhan Vyapar Yojana to promote digital payments:
- The Union Government has launched Lucky Grahak Yojana to encourage consumers and Digi Dhan Vyapar Yojana to encourage merchants for transition to digital payments.
- These award based schemes were launched by the NITI Aayog.
- These schemes aim to give cash awards to consumers and merchants who utilize digital payment instruments for personal consumption expenditures.
- Transactions using USSD, UPI, RuPay and AEPS will only be covered under these schemes.
3. Indian Railways ties up with SBI to install 10000 POS machines:
- The move comes in support of the demonetisation step of central government.
- This will help passengers book their tickets digitally (cashless transaction) with the help of their debit or credit cards at Public Reservation System counters .
4. Sochi, Russia won’t host 2017 Bobsleigh and Skeleton World Championships:
- The International Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation (IBSF) has announced that Russia will not host the 2017 Bobsleigh and Skeleton World Championships.
- The reason cited by IBSF for this was that Russia is accused of state-sponsored doping and IBSF wants to focus on sport rather than accusations.
5. Indra Nooyi, Elon Musk and Travis Kalanick to join Donald Trump's Advisory Council:
- PepsiCo Chairperson, Indra Nooyi, Chairman and CEO of SpaceX and Tesla, Elon Musk, and CEO and co - founder of Uber Technologies, Travis Kalanick will be a part of Donald Trump's Strategic and Policy Forum.
- The appointment aims to help president-elect Trump in implementing his economic agenda.
6. Interim Nationwide Ban Imposed On Manja For Flying Kites By NGT:
- A ban was imposed by the National Green Tribunal on December 14, 2016 on the procurement, sale and use of glass powder coated ‘manja’ and other dangerous strings for flying kites.
- The order was passed by the NGT bench, headed by Chairman Justice Swatanter Kumar who said that the sharp string poses a danger to humans, animals and birds as well as causes harm to environment.
7. Babur Cruise Missile successfully test - fired by Pakistan:
- The cruise missile has a range of 700 kilometers.
- It is a part of Babur Weapon System (Version- 2) and can carry all kinds of warheads.
- The missile is equipped with state of the art navigational technologies which enables it to hit targets with pinpoint accuracy even in the absence of GPS navigation.
8. Rio Gets UNESCO World Heritage Status:
- The Marvelous City or Rio de Janeiro officially has entered into the UN’s list of world heritage sites while UNESCO status was announced in 2012 in recognition of its soaring granite cliffs, urban rainforest and beaches.
- The UN cultural body, UNESCO given this status to Rio to highlighted the “extraordinary fusion” of man-made and natural beauty.
9. Gujarat-born 1970s activist on BBC’s power women list:
- A Gujarat-born activist who led a campaign against low pay for women workers at a UK factory in the 1970s has made it the BBC’s most influential women of the past 70 years list released on 15th December.
- Jayaben Desai, known as the sari-clad leader of a two-year industrial action against the Grunwick Film Processing Laboratories in north London in 1976, was named among seven women chosen to mark the 70th anniversary of BBC Radio 4’s ‘Woman’s Hour’.
11. Vodafone launches e-wallet M Pesa Pay for retailers:
- Vodafone India has launched Vodafone M Pesa Pay in a bid to enable merchants and retailers to receive payments from their customers.
- The new feature replaces need for point of sale (PoS) machine since it is a face-to-face transaction where the merchant sends the request to the customer for making a payment.
12. VG Kannan appointed CEO of Indian Banks’ Association:
- V G Kannan has been appointed as Chief Executive of the Indian Banks Association (IBA) on 14th December 2016.
- He succeeds M V Tanksale who demitted office as Chief Executive on August 9, 2016.
- Kannan had retired as Managing Director & Group Executive (Associates & Subsidiaries) of State Bank of India on July 31, 2016.
13. Grant Agreement signed between India and IBRD:
- India and IBRD (International Bank for Reconstruction and Development) signed an agreement for additional Financing of MSME Projects for energy efficiency.
- GEF grant of USD 5.19 Million was signed by Joint Secretary (MI), Department of Economic Affairs, Shri Raj Kumar, on behalf of the Government of India and Country Director, World Bank (India), Mr. Junaid Ali Ahmad, on behalf of IBRD.
14. Larry Page named World’s Most powerful CEO by Forbes:
- Alphabet’s (parent company of Google) CEO Larry Page was named as the World’s Most powerful CEO by Forbes.
- Mark Zuckerberg, Cofounder, Chairman and CEO of Facebook and Jeff Bezos, CEO and founder of Amazon was ranked second and third in the list respectively.
- Elon Musk of Tesla and SpaceX and Walmart’s Doug McMillon have also featured on the list.
15. Paytm launches ‘Each one, teach one’ to increase digital inclusion:
- Paytm has announced a program to increase the digital inclusion in the country where in it is calling upon consumers and merchants across India to teach others on how to use Paytm to pay and accept money.
- The campaign is aimed at transforming user behaviour and further accelerating the country’s ongoing shift from cash to digital payments.
- As a part of the drive, Paytm has also announced an incentive including Rs. 1 cr. grand prize along with additional prizes like motorcycles, smartphones, laptops and other exciting gifts.
- All users transacting between 1st December 2016 and 31st March 2017 are eligible to win these prizes.