1. Punjab Government launches India’s first amphibious bus project:
- Punjab Government has launched country’s first amphibious bus project at the Harike wetland near Amritsar.
- The amphibious bus named as 'Harike Cruise' travels on land and as well as in water.
- The first of its kind amphibious bus in India was imported from Swedish automobile company Scania.
2. India 4th Most Vacation-deprived Country:
- India has been ranked as the 4th most vacation deprived country globally, as 63 % take fewer days of the vacations that they get, according to to a report.
- "After Spain (68 per cent), UAE (68 per cent), Malaysia (67 per cent) and South Korea (64 per cent), India is ranked as the fourth most vacation deprived country globally," according to Expedia Vacation Deprivation Report 2016.
3. Former Portugal PM Guterres sworn in as UN chief:
- Former Portuguese PM Antonio Guterres took the oath of office on Monday to be the 9th United Nations Secretary-General.
- Guterres, 67, will replace Ban Ki-moon of South Korea. Ban steps down at the end of 2016 after serving two five-year terms.
4. India and Indonesia sign three agreements to enhance strategic partnership:
- These agreements were signed after delegation level talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and visiting President of Indonesia Joko Widodo in New Delhi.
- Signed Agreements are MoU on Youth and Sports Cooperation, MoU on Standardization Cooperation and Joint Communiqué on Voluntary International Cooperation to Combat Illegal, Unregulated and Unreported (IUU) Fishing and to promote Sustainable Fisheries Governance.
5. Lt Gen Naveed Mukhtar appointed as the new ISI chief:
- Lt. Gen. Naveed Mukhtar has been appointed as the new Director-General of the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI).
- He replaces Lt. Gen. Rizwan Akhtar who has been appointed as president of the National Defence University (NDU) in Islamabad.
- Earlier, Lt. Gen. Mukhtar was the Commander of V Corps of Karachi from September 2014 to December 2016.
6. EU, Cuba sign first agreement on political cooperation:
- The European Union (EU) has signed a deal with Cuba on political dialogue and cooperation, with Cuba being the only Latin American country to lack such an agreement earlier.
- This comes after EU repealed its 1996 policy which stated that Cuba must improve its human rights conditions before normalisation talks with EU.
- The deal covers issues like trade, human rights and immigration.
7. Cristiano Ronaldo voted best footballer in the world for 4th time:
- Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo beat rival Lionel Messi to win the prestigious 2016 Ballon d'Or award for fourth time.
- Ronaldo also took home Ballon d'Or prize in 2013 and 2014, and 2008.
8. Priyanka appointed UNICEF Global Goodwill Ambassador:
- Priyanka Chopra has been announced as the UNICEF Global Goodwill Ambassador to promote child rights at the UNICEF 70th anniversary event.
- She was presented as the ambassador by former footballer David Beckham and actress Millie Bobby Brown.
9. Rajiv Gandhi airport achieves carbon neutral status:
- The Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (RGIA), Hyderabad has achieved carbon neutral status.
- It is the first in the Asia-Pacific region in the 5-15 million passengers per annum category to attain this status.
- Earlier in September 2016 GMR Group-led Delhi Airport had become the first airport in Asia-Pacific to achieve carbon neutral status among all categories.
10. ISRO signs deal for first privately built satellite:
- The Indian Space Research Organisation has signed an agreement with a consortium of six companies to deliver India's first industry-built satellite by late 2017.
- The agreement was signed between M Annadurai, Director of ISRO Satellite Centre (ISAC) and the consortium lead Alpha Design Technologies P Ltd. ISAC assembles India's satellites for communication, remote sensing and navigation.
- It is for the first time that ISRO outsourced the construction of entire satellite.
11. 2 Indians included in US Richest Entrepreneurs Under 40 list: Forbes:
- Two Indian-origin men have figured in Forbes magazine's second annual list of wealthiest entrepreneurs under the age of 40 which is topped by Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg.
- Vivek Ramaswamy, a successful biotech entrepreneur has been ranked 24th on 'America's Richest Entrepreneurs Under 40 2016' list with a net worth of 600 million dollars and Apoorva Mehta stands at 31st spot with a 360 million dollars net worth.
12. Microsoft launches India’s first Cybersecurity Engagement Centre in New Delhi:
- Software giant Microsoft India has launched its first full-scale Cybersecurity Engagement Centre (CSEC) in New Delhi.
- It is Microsoft’s seventh Cybersecurity Centre in the world. It will function as a satellite to the its Redmond Digital Crimes Unit (DCU).
13. Pankaj Advani wins 11th World Billiards Championship:
- Ace Indian cueist Pankaj Advani won his 11th World Billiards (150-Up format) Championships title by beating Peter Gilchrist of Singapore in the summit clash in Bengaluru.
- Advani beat multiple world champion Gilchrist by six games to three in a gripping final contest to wrap up his 16th world title overall.