1. World Tsunami Awareness Day: November 5
- The First World Tsunami Awareness Day was observed across the world on 5 November 2016 to spread awareness among people across the world about Tsunami.
- The United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) had constituted the day by adopting a resolution in December 2015. The proposal was first mooted by Japan after the 3rd UN Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction held in Sendai (Japan) in March 2015.
- The theme for 2016 is “Effective Education and Evacuation Drills”.
2. China launches Long March 5 Rocket:
- China launched it’s largest ever rocket with a payload capacity of 25 tons.
- The rocket has been built by Chinese Academy of Launch Vehicle Technology.
- The rocket carried the experimental Shijian 17 electronic propulsion satellite into geostationary orbit.
3. Latvia becomes first Baltic Sea country to link with China’s OBOR:
- Latvia has become the first country in the Baltic Sea area to sign a Memorandum of Understanding to link up with China’s One Belt and One Road (OBOR) Initiative.
- The MoU was signed after Chinese Premier Li Keqiang’s meeting with his Latvian counterpart Maris Kucinskis in Riga (capital of Latvia). It was Chinese Premier’s first visit to the European Union country.
- Besides, Latvia and China also singed five agreements on cooperation in such areas as small and medium-sized enterprises, transportation and logistics.
- OBOR initiative is China’s ambitious development strategy and framework that aims to boost its connectivity and trade across Asia, Africa and Europe.
4. Union Government launches Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan:
- The Union Government launched Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan (PMSMA) to provide free health check-ups to pregnant women at government health centres and hospitals.
- The Scheme was launched by Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare J P Nadda in New Delhi.
- It was announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his monthly radio address Mann Ki Baat in June 2016.
- The national programme aims to provide pregnant ladies free ante-natal services (ANC) and required treatment for free on 9th of every month.
5. President approves payment of 2% DA from July 1:
- President Pranab Mukherjee on 04 November 2016 approved the 2% hike in Dearness Allowance to central government employees, a move that could benefit 50.68 lakh employees and 54.24 lakh pensioners.
- DA is provided to employees and pensioners to minimise the impact of price rise on their earnings. Earlier this year, DA was hiked 6% to 125% of the basic pay.
6. Andhra Pradesh tops World Bank’s energy-saving rankings:
- The sunrise state Andhra Pradesh has been ranked number one in the World Bank’s ‘Energy Efficiency Implementation Readiness’.
- The ranking of the states were released in the World Bank’s study report titled: ‘India’s State Level Energy Efficiency Implementation Readiness’.
- Andhra Pradesh topped with overall score of 42.01 followed by Rajasthan (41.89), Karnataka (39.34) and Maharashtra (39.29).
7. 6th Indo-Bangla joint military exercise SAMPRITI begins :
- Indo-Bangla joint military training exercise SAMPRITI commenced on 5 November 2016 at Tangail, Dhaka.
- This is the sixth edition of the exercise which is hosted alternately by both countries.
- The exercise is an important bilateral defence cooperation endeavour between the two countries.
8. India, Venezuela sign deals to increase oil production:
- India and Venezuela have signed an oil production deals worth about 1.45 billion US dollar to increase oil production.
- The agreement was signed between Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC), Venezeulas Petroleos de Venezuela SA (PDVSA), and Venezuela’s consortium Delta Finance BVin Caracas.
- The Indo-Venezuelan partnership created in 2009 is expected to double the daily oil production of San Cristobal field from 20,000 to 40,000 barrels of oil.
9. Twitter India MD Parminder Singh resigns:
- Two days after Twitter India head Rishi Jaitly announced his exit, the microblogging network’s MD for India, Southeast Asia and Middle East and North Africa region (MENA), Parminder Singh has resigned from the company.
10. BJP to flag off ‘Parivartan Yatra’:
- Keeping in view the Polls of UP, BJP has come out with Parivartan Yatra to counter the rally by UP CM, Mr. Akhilesh Yadav.
- The yatra has begun in Saharanpur.
11. Switzerland appoints Ranveer Singh as brand ambassador:
- Bollywood actor Ranveer Singh has been now named the first Indian ambassador for Switzerland Tourism.
- Singh will now be in charge of promoting Switzerland Tourism’s campaign for 2017 – “Nature wants you back”.