1. India and Britain sign two agreements:
- India and the United Kingdom have signed two agreements to boost cordial relations between the two nations.
- The pacts were inked during the 3 days visit of Theresa May, the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom to India.
- The agreements are: one on intellectual property (IP) and another for bilateral cooperation on raising ease of doing business.
2. World’s first zero-emissions hydrogen train unveiled in Germany(Coradia iLint):
- World first hydrogen-powered and zero-emission passenger train named as Coradia iLint was unveiled in Germany.
- The first of its kind ecofriendly train has been developed by French rail company Alstom. The Coradia iLint only emits excess steam and condensed water into the atmosphere.
- Coradia iLint is powered by a hydrogen fuel tank fitted on its roof. The fuel cell is supplied with hydrogen and oxygen from the air.
3. Vinod Rai appointed as Chairman of Fund Trustee and Advisory Commission of Kerala:
- Vinod Rai has been appointed as the Chairman of Fund Trustee and Advisory Commission of Kerala.
- He will be entrusted with the responsibility to ensure that the funds of the Kerala Infrastructure Investment Fund Board (KIIFB) are properly utilised and the interest of investors is protected.
- Moreover, the board of the reconstituted KIIFB under Chairman Pinarayi Vijayan also decided to appoint Usha Thorat, former Deputy Governor of RBI and Prakash Bakshi, former Chairman of NABARD, as the other members of the FTAC.
4. President Pranab Mukherjee presents Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam IGNITE Awards:
- President Pranab Mukherjee presented the Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam IGNITE Awards to the winning children of IGNITE competition at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- IGNITE competition was organized by the National Innovation Foundation (NIF).
- This year, a total of 31 students have been awarded for their ideas/ innovations. Overall, 55,089 submissions of students from 458 districts of all the states & Union Territories of India were received during the IGNITE 16 competition, which ran from 1 September 2015 to 31 August 2016.
5. Hadi Abdullah wins 2016 RSF-TV5 Monde Press Freedom Prize:
- Syrian freelance journalist Hadi Abdullah was awarded with Reporters without Borders (RSF)-TV5 Monde prize.
- Abdullah, 29, was awarded in the journalist category for reporting from some of the most perilous zones in his country's five-year-old war.
- The award was presented in Strasbourg on the sidelines of the World Forum for Democracy, a meeting organised by the Council of Europe.
6. Demchok mission of Indian Army successfully completed:
- The Indian army has successfully completed its task of laying an irrigation pipeline in the Demchok region of Eastern Ladakh.
- The project was being conducted under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme to link the villages in the region with a hot spring.
7. Tunisian leader among four conferred Jamnalal Bajaj Awards:
- Well-known Gandhian and President of Tunisia's Ennahdha Party, Sheikh Rached Ghannouchi was among four prominent personalities conferred with the prestigious 39th Jamnalal Bajaj Foundation Awards for 2016.
- Mohan Hirabai Hiralal, founder and convenor of Vrikshamitra was honoured for outstanding contribution in the field of Constructive Work.
- BonBehari Vishnu Nimbkar, founder of Nimbkar Agricultural Research Institute was presented the award for application of science and technology for rural development.
- Dr. Nannapaneni Manga Devi, founder secretary of Sri Venkateswara Bala Kuteer and Chetana Charitable Trust was honoured with the award for development and welfare of women and children.
8. Uttarakhand High Court bans construction near glaciers in Uttarakhand:
- The Uttarakhand High Court has banned construction near glaciers in Uttarakhand and directed the state government to preserve the rapidly melting glaciers, a source of major rivers.
9. NASA’s MMS creates new Guinness World Record:
- NASA’s Magnetospheric Multiscale (MMS) Mission set the Guinness world record for highest altitude fix of a Global Positioning System (GPS) signal at 70000 kilometers above the surface of the Earth.
- Magnetospheric Multiscale (MMS) mission successfully completed commissioning activities on 1 September 2015 and is now in full science mode.
10. Vice President Hamid Ansari releases book titled An Era of Darkness: The British Empire in India:
- M. Hamid Ansari, Vice President of India, released the book titled An Era of Darkness: The British Empire in India.
- The book is authored by Shashi Tharoor.
- The book offers an insight on the ways in which the colonizers exploited India, ranging from the drain of national resources to Britain, the destruction of the Indian textile, steel-making and shipping industries, and the negative transformation of agriculture.
11. Ratnesh Kumar appointed MD and CEO of BoB Capital Markets:
- Bank of Baroda has appointed Ratnesh Kumar as Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of its wholly-owned investment banking subsidiary, BOB Capital Markets Ltd.
- The public sector bank stated that Kumar started his career in the Indian capital markets and financial services sector in 1993.